High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > High Definition Programming Providers > AT&T U-verse
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

AT&T U-verse Discuss and learn about AT&T U-verse - IP based HDTV. RSS - AT&T U-verse

Like Tree1Likes

ATT Uverse vs Directv

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2011, 04:29 PM   #1
How can anyone watch standard def?
 

Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 24
Default ATT Uverse vs Directv

I am not very happy with DirecTV. I feel like once your a customer, they don't care about you. You have to call their retetion department and act like your leaving to get a HDDVR. Otherwise you have to pay 200 plus the fee every month. Comcast you just upgrade and pay the fee. I don't want to go back to cable -- but is ATT Uverse just as good with internet (as cable) and just as good as Directv in picture quality? And I heard something about VRAD -- how do I find out how far I am from that? Do I have to ask the tech or is that a question I get over the phone (and does it really matter?) What do u guys think.
direcTVfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:16 AM   #2
How can anyone watch standard def?
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 17
Default

I was a Directv customer for 11 years and was forced to change when I moved (I have no open southern exposure view). I move to a Uverse Community( part of the fee and great pricing).
I can't really comment on business practices between both since I really had no issues with Directv(but I never asked for much) and really haven't had a lot of contact with UVERSE.
However, there is no comparison between the products. Directv is better in every way that I consider than Uverse. The picture quality of Directv is much better. There are sound sync issues with Uverse, recordings hang up or skip all the time. The DVR features are years behind the Directv and I mean years if that is a way to measure. I think my first Directv drv had more features than the current Uverse one.
The UVERSE model is one dvr which is capable of recording / playing 4 streams at a time. Depending on where you live this may be 1 HD stream or up to 4. The limit includes recording and watching live so if you have 2 HD and want to record 2 and still watch 1 hd at the same time you can't. Today you can only pause/ replay live tv on the one attached to the dvr. You can simulate that process by recording everything you watch on the other TVs. On and on with features that are missing.
On the plus side there are no interruptions because of thunder storms. The system is basically easy to use and seems to work fine. The integration with Internet and phone is good.
If you have extensive needs (number of TVs in your home, use a lot of the DVR features and depending on HD needs and abilities) then I think Uverse would be a concern to you and you won't be happy.
As much as I complain I have managed to keep my expectations within the abilities of Uverse.
CTjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:08 PM   #3
How can anyone watch standard def?
 

Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTjon View Post
I was a Directv customer for 11 years and was forced to change when I moved (I have no open southern exposure view). I move to a Uverse Community( part of the fee and great pricing).
I can't really comment on business practices between both since I really had no issues with Directv(but I never asked for much) and really haven't had a lot of contact with UVERSE.
However, there is no comparison between the products. Directv is better in every way that I consider than Uverse. The picture quality of Directv is much better. There are sound sync issues with Uverse, recordings hang up or skip all the time. The DVR features are years behind the Directv and I mean years if that is a way to measure. I think my first Directv drv had more features than the current Uverse one.
The UVERSE model is one dvr which is capable of recording / playing 4 streams at a time. Depending on where you live this may be 1 HD stream or up to 4. The limit includes recording and watching live so if you have 2 HD and want to record 2 and still watch 1 hd at the same time you can't. Today you can only pause/ replay live tv on the one attached to the dvr. You can simulate that process by recording everything you watch on the other TVs. On and on with features that are missing.
On the plus side there are no interruptions because of thunder storms. The system is basically easy to use and seems to work fine. The integration with Internet and phone is good.
If you have extensive needs (number of TVs in your home, use a lot of the DVR features and depending on HD needs and abilities) then I think Uverse would be a concern to you and you won't be happy.
As much as I complain I have managed to keep my expectations within the abilities of Uverse.
Thank you for your honest opinion. It looks like, with further examination, that UVerse is my only high speed choice for internet. Comcast does not service it. I am 95% sure. I work for Comcast, looked up the address in the biller and its not there -- but the closest address are, and non serviceable. Which I don't care about their TV -- but if I went with Directv, I would go with Comcast internet. So, if I have to get ATT Uverse internet -- might as well bundle.

As to the tv situation, because I originally had one tv and because I will not pay the fee to get another receiver (or DVR as I would probably choose) plus the fee for the installation (i probably would get that free anyway) and the fee every month for the additional receiver, I never upgraded to another one. And it wouldn't be a any room dvr (or Whole House DVR if thats what DTV calls it). I will probably still not have a receiver in my bedroom but since it will be linked to my main DVR with Total Home DVR I might. And I only have one HD TV so that does not affect me (and buying a new home soon I dont think I can get a new HD tv any time soon).

I do have a question maybe you can answer. Or someone else. Does their anti virus software work on a Mac? Anyway thanks again!
direcTVfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:14 AM   #4
I'm Fabulous.
 
awol's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 8,907
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by direcTVfan View Post
I do have a question maybe you can answer. Or someone else. Does their anti virus software work on a Mac? Anyway thanks again!
No, their McAfee offer does not work on a Mac. But as I type this on my Mac... do you really need virus software? I've gone for 6 years with out any anti-virus and have never had any issues.

But if you feel like you need to have it, then check out what Sophos offers here.
awol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:59 PM   #5
How can anyone watch standard def?
 

Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by awol View Post
No, their McAfee offer does not work on a Mac. But as I type this on my Mac... do you really need virus software? I've gone for 6 years with out any anti-virus and have never had any issues.

But if you feel like you need to have it, then check out what Sophos offers here.
It's more for the firewall (yes, I know there is a built in firewall). And I don't need it -- but it's always a nice perk to have it (Comcast gives out Norton and it works on a Mac). But it was just really my last question! And I have made an offer on my house! Hopefully they accept.
direcTVfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:16 AM   #6
How can anyone watch standard def?
 

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 23
Default

I'm also a long-time DTV subscriber (15yrs) and just got an offer for Uverse. I have 3 HDTVs with one being a 3D model which works great with DTV. I love my DTV and the only reason to consider switching is to (1) bundle services, (2) improve internet speed (3) have whole house DVR, and(4) add international channels without a 2nd dish which would be necessary with DTV.

Based on the pricing, I see a slight savings but not much. So, I guess it would come down to would I miss the picture quality of my DTV? And any other items that I might take for granted now with DTV that would be glaring issues with UVerse?

Also, just curious how the service is provided. Is it via cable? Also, is the internet the same ole DSL or something else?

Thanks,
Tom
ThrashersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:34 AM   #7
Relax
 
jmwatkins's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,615
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrashersFan View Post
Based on the pricing, I see a slight savings but not much. So, I guess it would come down to would I miss the picture quality of my DTV? And any other items that I might take for granted now with DTV that would be glaring issues with UVerse?

Also, just curious how the service is provided. Is it via cable? Also, is the internet the same ole DSL or something else?
I can't answer your DTV comparisons, but I'll try to answer your others. Uverse is not cable. It is what is known as IPTV. It runs on fiber optics from the central office to a node and then a pair or two of copper wires from the node to your house. It is basically a high speed broadband connection. TV uses most of the bandwidth, while VOIP telephone and internet service use what they need. The internet works the same as DSL, but max speeds above the standard 6mb max that normal DSL allows, may be available to you.
jmwatkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:38 PM   #8
How can anyone watch standard def?
 
YellowC4S's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 22
Default

Uverse is basically a 32mb DSL line.
__________________
Bedroom
Denon AVR-5308CI A
Oppo BDP-83SE
DirectTV HR24
Thermaltake HTPC
B&W LM-1
Sunfire HRS12
Panasonic TCP58VT25

Den
Denon AVP-A1HDCI A
Denon POA-A1
Oppo BDP83SE
DirectTV HR24
B&W 802D
B&W HTM2D
B&W DS8
JL Audio F113
Panasonic TCP65VT25
YellowC4S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:07 AM   #9
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 258
Default

I am the complete opposite, I switched from Uverse to Directv just recently and already have improvements. Uverse is still new and while people I know never had issues, we have issues every other day. Major freezing, lose of main DVR going out, pausing uncontrollably. Their customer service even sucked, they tried everything and couldn't get out issues fixed. I drew the line when one day the main DVR just stopped working other than watching live tv. I got it fixed three days later but that was the last straw.

Its all based on opinion, but for tv I am liking Directv right now. I still have the internet through Uverse though.
Beware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:55 AM   #10
I'm Fabulous.
 
awol's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 8,907
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beware View Post
Their customer service even sucked, they tried everything and couldn't get out issues fixed.
Then does the customer service actually suck? I mean, if they tried everything, then didn't they actually do everything they could to help you?

Were they rude or unprofessional? Please clarify.
awol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:34 AM   #11
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by awol View Post
Then does the customer service actually suck? I mean, if they tried everything, then didn't they actually do everything they could to help you?

Were they rude or unprofessional? Please clarify.
a lot of them had no idea what they are talking about
Beware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:17 PM   #12
HD and Away!!!
 
DreGun's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 741
Default

Were these reps that were coming to your home? or trouble shooting over the phone? How many times did you have any STB replaced?
DreGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:25 AM   #13
My plasma is High Def.
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 7
Default

Within the 1 year I did have service my DVR went bad and so did my router... I was without TV-Internet and Phone for 3 days cause they service people are clueless.... I spend 2 hours on the cell with they customer service team and I said from the start it has to be the modem and after we tried there trouble shooting tips 3 that's right 3 times with 3 different over the phone reps ending @ 11pm we all came to the conclusion it was the modem.....Fast forward to when the tech come out that was suppose to be there @ 1 time and didn't show up till 4 hours late... he said it was the out side line.. the next day they came out spend the day replacing the lines all the way to the pole..1900 ft and guess what it still didn't work so finally they send another guy the following day and he swapped out the the and it worked something that could of been done 2 days sooner sad part is my wife works form home and had to use 3 vacation days and we have 5 children that didn't go over well.... I had way to many issues for the one year I had it and the the weaker TV picture the little savings that I did get was not worth it.. why bother having high end TV's when you signal can support it. That's just my problem I am sure the picture and service is fine for many people and will stay and support and I am all for that. That is what keeps America running ........competition
softail02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 11:19 AM   #14
My plasma is High Def.
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Wethersfield, CT.
Age: 53
Posts: 9
Default I'm happy with U-Verse

I had been with Direct TV for over ten years and I love their product. Great picture quality and I like their fully backlit remote. I have never had any problems with their customer service and found them easy to work with in my many negotiations when trying to lower my monthly bill. The only downside I can think of would be the slow channel change and outdated blocky menu and channel guide. So, why did I move to U-Verse? I had many offers from U-Verse over tha last two years since they came to Wethersfield, CT. Every time I would look up a review I would see they had a picture quality issue. Having a Panasonic 54" Z1 plasma kept from changing over. All I could imagine was a subpar image being blown up to 54". I am happy to say that is not the case with U-Verse. I think the picture quality is very close to Direct TV. I get a little blurred motion while watching ET Tonight that I can't explane, but on the same channel while watching Big Bang or Two and a Half Men, everythings super crisp. I'm getting use to the remote. Although not as good as Direct TVs in layout and feel, it does the job. Only key buttons are backlit and it is not RF capable like DTVs ( AT&T does offer a RF remote for $50). Changing channels in split second timing is a big plus. The menu is very up to date and looks every bit 2011. Another reason why I made the change is they had the channel lineup I liked in the U300 package, with the adition of Showtime, Encore and G4HD DTV didn't give me. I hope this helps someone who is on the fence and is not sure due to the negative comments of some about U-Verse.

Last edited by Highgear; 02-19-2011 at 02:57 PM.
Highgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 01:45 PM   #15
My plasma is High Def.
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Wethersfield, CT.
Age: 53
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highgear View Post
I had been with Direct TV for over ten years and I love their product. Great picture quality and I like their fully backlit remote. I have never had any problems with their customer service and found them easy to work with in my many negotiations when trying to lower my monthly bill. The only downside I can think of would be the slow channel change and outdated blocky menu and channel guide. So, why did I move to U-Verse? I had many offers from U-Verse over tha last two years since they came to Wethersfield, CT. Every time I would look up a review I would see they had a picture quality issue. Having a Panasonic 54" Z1 plasma kept from changing over. All I could imagine was a subpar image being blown up to 54". I am happy to say that is not the case with U-Verse. I think the picture quality is very close to Direct TV. I get a little blurred motion while watching ET Tonight that I can't explane, but on the same channel while watching Big Bang or Two and a Half Men, everythings super crisp. I'm getting use to the remote. Although not as good as Direct TVs in layout and feel, it does the job. Only key buttons are backlit and it is not RF capable like DTVs ( AT&T does offer a RF remote for $50). Changing channels in split second timing is a big plus. The menu is very up to date and looks every bit 2011. Another reason why I made the change is they had the channel lineup I liked in the U300 package, with the adition of Showtime, Encore and G4HD DTV didn't give me. I hope this helps someone who is on the fence and is not sure due to the negative comments of some about U-Verse.
Added: I found this poll showing what people think of the picture quality of U-Verse. http://www.uverseusers.com/index.php...&topic=2821.30
Highgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > High Definition Programming Providers > AT&T U-verse
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads to ATT Uverse vs Directv
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Uverse Facts dblake15 AT&T U-verse 9 05-14-2008 04:45 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:13 PM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2004 - 2008, High Def Forum