High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > Off Topic Discussion > Sports Forum
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

Sports Forum Talk about sports! RSS - Sports Forum

Bud Selig naming trustee to take over Dodgers

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2011, 03:30 PM   #1
NHL in HD please!!!
 
gwhoughton's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: North Hollywood/Valley Village, CA
Posts: 1,738
Exclamation Bud Selig naming trustee to take over Dodgers

This just in.....

Bud Selig naming trustee to take over Dodgers

GOD I hope this is the beginning of the end of the McCourt Era!!!!!
__________________
Switched to HD 2-2005
SONY KD-34XBR960
gwhoughton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 04:26 PM   #2
NFL in HD nothing else
 
drock912001's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charlotte,NC
Posts: 1,955
Default

Maybe he ruin them like he did the entire mlb!
__________________
Vizio VL370M
Toshiba HD-XA1
Direct HR23-700
Denon AVR-2313CI
Fluance XLBP Wide dispersion bipolar surrounds
Fluance XL7C High Performance two way center
Polk RM 6750 (temporary)
PS3 160gb
HD DVD 29
Blu-ray 74
drock912001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 05:18 PM   #3
My Precious!!!
 
drbrosco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: SW Ohio
Age: 46
Posts: 4,717
Default

how in the world can you be so low on cash you can't make payroll when you own the LA dodgers?????????

I never been to LA, used to watch them alot more when LA & Cincinnati were in the NL West together before the division change & I just always thought they had either near full if not full houses every single night, even now???

Who knows, some of these guys with the big money are such crooks these days it's untelling where the money has went.

If Selig does force him out you better hope somebody buys fast before Selig decides to take it....For a former owner like Selig this would probably be a dream job for him to retire from commish & buy the Dodgers...that is a 1 in a billion chance of happening but who knows what that Selig has going on in that little mind of his.
__________________
Living Room
LG LCD 1080p HDTV 55LH40
LG LHB977 BLUE RAY DISC HOME THEATRE SYSTEM
DIRECTV
Genie Whole Home
HR34-700
XBOX 360 ELITE
Bedroom
Insignia LED 720p 32" HDTV
Xbox 360
br collection=The Hobbit:An Unexpected Journey..The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug..Under Siege..Out For Justice..Point Break..Speed..Air Force One..Bonnie & Clyde..UP..American Gangster..Ratatouille..Due Date..Nacho Libre..Gullivers Travels..Crown Jewel of my collection-The Lord of the Rings Extended Edition
drbrosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:51 PM   #4
NFL in HD nothing else
 
drock912001's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charlotte,NC
Posts: 1,955
Default

The report says the owner(s) is spending the money on themselves to maintain their extravagant lifestyle.But like you I'm curious because Dodgers is a marquee name in professional sports and this should never have happened to such a storied franchise.
__________________
Vizio VL370M
Toshiba HD-XA1
Direct HR23-700
Denon AVR-2313CI
Fluance XLBP Wide dispersion bipolar surrounds
Fluance XL7C High Performance two way center
Polk RM 6750 (temporary)
PS3 160gb
HD DVD 29
Blu-ray 74
drock912001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:41 PM   #5
Simmer Down
 
SOBAY310's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Posts: 8,732
Default

I don't know one Dodger fan who was remotely upset about MLB taking over. I don't know what the immediate impact will be, but it would be nice if they can fix things such as the stadium prices (tickets, parking, food, etc). I don't expect that to happen, but it would be nice.

I'm just happy we don't have the sleeze ball stealing from us anymore.
SOBAY310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:32 PM   #6
NHL in HD please!!!
 
gwhoughton's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: North Hollywood/Valley Village, CA
Posts: 1,738
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOBAY310 View Post
I don't know one Dodger fan who was remotely upset about MLB taking over. I don't know what the immediate impact will be, but it would be nice if they can fix things such as the stadium prices (tickets, parking, food, etc). I don't expect that to happen, but it would be nice.

I'm just happy we don't have the sleeze ball stealing from us anymore.
I'd like it if they got rid of the advertising that's on every square inch of avalable space now!!
__________________
Switched to HD 2-2005
SONY KD-34XBR960
gwhoughton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:50 PM   #7
NFL in HD nothing else
 
drock912001's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charlotte,NC
Posts: 1,955
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwhoughton View Post
I'd like it if they got rid of the advertising that's on every square inch of avalable space now!!
That's supposed to help pay the bills,but apparently it hasn't.The owner had to borrow 30 mil from FOX to meet the 1st payroll.The owner said he wasn't giving the team up!
__________________
Vizio VL370M
Toshiba HD-XA1
Direct HR23-700
Denon AVR-2313CI
Fluance XLBP Wide dispersion bipolar surrounds
Fluance XL7C High Performance two way center
Polk RM 6750 (temporary)
PS3 160gb
HD DVD 29
Blu-ray 74
drock912001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 02:38 PM   #8
NFL in HD nothing else
 
drock912001's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charlotte,NC
Posts: 1,955
Default

So the owner filed bankruptcy and blamed Selig and MLB for his financial woes.The sad part is they wont let Mark Cuban purchase a team because he owns the Mavs,but you let clueless billionaires who don't care about the sport or team buy 1!
__________________
Vizio VL370M
Toshiba HD-XA1
Direct HR23-700
Denon AVR-2313CI
Fluance XLBP Wide dispersion bipolar surrounds
Fluance XL7C High Performance two way center
Polk RM 6750 (temporary)
PS3 160gb
HD DVD 29
Blu-ray 74
drock912001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:25 AM   #9
Every day is Friday
 
oblioman's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Hooooterville
Posts: 9,291
Default

Hmmm,,,what major sports team has made it in LA. The Lakers. That's about it. The Clippers,,who the hell are they? The Galaxy,,yup soccer,,real popular stateside. Sorry to sound negative, but LA, with the exception of the Lakers, for some reason is not conducive to pro-sports. Now they want to build a new football arena (in a shitty location), with no fluent inflow or outflow of traffic, limited parking (yay, tailgate party in a parking garage). So sorry to see such a storied franchise (50 years ago) such as the Dodgers go up in flames, but they would do themselves a huge favor by getting out of LA.
__________________
MEMPHIS ROCKS
oblioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:58 AM   #10
NFL in HD nothing else
 
drock912001's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charlotte,NC
Posts: 1,955
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblioman View Post
Hmmm,,,what major sports team has made it in LA. The Lakers. That's about it. The Clippers,,who the hell are they? The Galaxy,,yup soccer,,real popular stateside. Sorry to sound negative, but LA, with the exception of the Lakers, for some reason is not conducive to pro-sports. Now they want to build a new football arena (in a shitty location), with no fluent inflow or outflow of traffic, limited parking (yay, tailgate party in a parking garage). So sorry to see such a storied franchise (50 years ago) such as the Dodgers go up in flames, but they would do themselves a huge favor by getting out of LA.
The sad part is when Al originally moved from Oakland to LA they(LA) promised him a stadium.He didn't get it nor did the Rams so they both bolted.The Rams eventually got theirs and Raiders still are without a stadium and now LA is promising a new stadium to who ever comes.I'm like you Obli they don't need or support anything other than the Lakers!
__________________
Vizio VL370M
Toshiba HD-XA1
Direct HR23-700
Denon AVR-2313CI
Fluance XLBP Wide dispersion bipolar surrounds
Fluance XL7C High Performance two way center
Polk RM 6750 (temporary)
PS3 160gb
HD DVD 29
Blu-ray 74
drock912001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:47 PM   #11
NHL in HD please!!!
 
gwhoughton's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: North Hollywood/Valley Village, CA
Posts: 1,738
Exclamation Sorry Oblioman...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblioman View Post
Hmmm,,,what major sports team has made it in LA. The Lakers. That's about it. The Clippers,,who the hell are they? The Galaxy,,yup soccer,,real popular stateside. Sorry to sound negative, but LA, with the exception of the Lakers, for some reason is not conducive to pro-sports. Now they want to build a new football arena (in a shitty location), with no fluent inflow or outflow of traffic, limited parking (yay, tailgate party in a parking garage). So sorry to see such a storied franchise (50 years ago) such as the Dodgers go up in flames, but they would do themselves a huge favor by getting out of LA.

Sorry Oblioman, but I'm going to have to disagree with you on several points here...

First of all, I understand that virtually EVERYONE who doesn't live in LA, and many that DO just LOVE to BAG on the City. I know it's easy to do... There really ARE a bunch of morons that live here, and heck, I know that "BEAT L.A." is about the easiest chant there ever was~

However, keep in mind that our population of morons is relative... We have a bunch of them because we have a bunch of people. As a percentage, I'd say that we have about as many idots as anywhere else~

The DODGERS are one of the GREATEST MLB teams ever IMO, and NO, not just "50 years ago"... I know it's been quite a while since they've been on top, but not 50 years!!

...and I know that most people don't watch Hockey, and those that do don't give the Kings much credit, but they are a much better team than many, and I would strongly suggest you make some time to watch the upcoming season, as I will predict right now that the Kings will not only win the West, but will go DEEP in the playoffs this coming season. That doesn't give them a zillion Stanley Cup Banners hanging from the ceiling like say Montreal, Boston, or Philly; but even you must concede that it's a much harder task getting people to follow the NHL down here than it is in any of those 3 citys I mentioned above~

Regarding a new football stadium, you say it's a "shitty location", but have you ever been to the Staples Center? I doubt it... The Staples Center, and the surrounding area (generally referred to as LA Live) is GREAT (again, IMO) and I haven't ever had a bad seat there at any event I've gone to. That whole area is pretty much "state of the art", and I'm betting that ANY other team would DROOL to have that same facility!! So please don't believe everything that you read before checking w/some people who really know...

I know you've read about it because you bring up the same arguments that I too have seen mentioned in print. Did you know that the proposed stadium would be RIGHT NEXT TO A MAJOR FREEWAY?!? Is it a crowded freeway??? YES...!! (on WEEKDAYS!!) I doub't that the traffic would be that bad on SUNDAYS! Plus, there is already EXISTING bus AND rail service RIGHT TO THE SIGHT! I know, because I can catch the train from within a mile of my house, and get off ACROSS THE STREET from the Staples Center, and have done so many times to catch Kings games~

I haven't really reviewed the plans for parking, but I'm fairly confident that this group of people knows what they are doing as far as that goes...

Anyway, sorry if I "jumped" you, but even though I'm not a "native Californian", I'm tired of people putting LA/California/Kings/Dodgers/Lakers down.

As I said above, I know it's easy to do, but saying that the Dodgers should "do themselves a favor" and get out of LA is really ignorant. (and I'm sorry for saying that Oblio, cuz YOU are NOT an ignorant guy from what I've read over the years here, so I don't want to be mad @ you or call you names personally...)

The problem(s) with the Dodgers now are A DIRECT RESULT OF THEM BEING OWNED BY A SCUMBAG, period. The Dodgers were NOT in financial trouble till McCourt came along. Once we can get rid of him, the team will once again return to prosperity...

Whew!

Sorry about that Oblioman... Did I rant too much?

I don't even WATCH the Lakers anymore, and while I still LOVE the Dodgers, it's the Kings that "float my boat", even though they've never quite gotten there yet. And truthfully, I don't really care THAT much about a football stadium here. It's just that they did SUCH a good job w/the Staples Center and the surrounding area that I have full confidence in them to do the same again. Who knows... Maybe my childhood favorite VIKINGS could even wind up here!
__________________
Switched to HD 2-2005
SONY KD-34XBR960
gwhoughton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:18 AM   #12
Every day is Friday
 
oblioman's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Hooooterville
Posts: 9,291
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwhoughton View Post
Sorry Oblioman, but I'm going to have to disagree with you on several points here...

First of all, I understand that virtually EVERYONE who doesn't live in LA, and many that DO just LOVE to BAG on the City. I know it's easy to do... There really ARE a bunch of morons that live here, and heck, I know that "BEAT L.A." is about the easiest chant there ever was~

However, keep in mind that our population of morons is relative... We have a bunch of them because we have a bunch of people. As a percentage, I'd say that we have about as many idots as anywhere else~

The DODGERS are one of the GREATEST MLB teams ever IMO, and NO, not just "50 years ago"... I know it's been quite a while since they've been on top, but not 50 years!!

...and I know that most people don't watch Hockey, and those that do don't give the Kings much credit, but they are a much better team than many, and I would strongly suggest you make some time to watch the upcoming season, as I will predict right now that the Kings will not only win the West, but will go DEEP in the playoffs this coming season. That doesn't give them a zillion Stanley Cup Banners hanging from the ceiling like say Montreal, Boston, or Philly; but even you must concede that it's a much harder task getting people to follow the NHL down here than it is in any of those 3 citys I mentioned above~

Regarding a new football stadium, you say it's a "shitty location", but have you ever been to the Staples Center? I doubt it... The Staples Center, and the surrounding area (generally referred to as LA Live) is GREAT (again, IMO) and I haven't ever had a bad seat there at any event I've gone to. That whole area is pretty much "state of the art", and I'm betting that ANY other team would DROOL to have that same facility!! So please don't believe everything that you read before checking w/some people who really know...

I know you've read about it because you bring up the same arguments that I too have seen mentioned in print. Did you know that the proposed stadium would be RIGHT NEXT TO A MAJOR FREEWAY?!? Is it a crowded freeway??? YES...!! (on WEEKDAYS!!) I doub't that the traffic would be that bad on SUNDAYS! Plus, there is already EXISTING bus AND rail service RIGHT TO THE SIGHT! I know, because I can catch the train from within a mile of my house, and get off ACROSS THE STREET from the Staples Center, and have done so many times to catch Kings games~

I haven't really reviewed the plans for parking, but I'm fairly confident that this group of people knows what they are doing as far as that goes...

Anyway, sorry if I "jumped" you, but even though I'm not a "native Californian", I'm tired of people putting LA/California/Kings/Dodgers/Lakers down.

As I said above, I know it's easy to do, but saying that the Dodgers should "do themselves a favor" and get out of LA is really ignorant. (and I'm sorry for saying that Oblio, cuz YOU are NOT an ignorant guy from what I've read over the years here, so I don't want to be mad @ you or call you names personally...)

The problem(s) with the Dodgers now are A DIRECT RESULT OF THEM BEING OWNED BY A SCUMBAG, period. The Dodgers were NOT in financial trouble till McCourt came along. Once we can get rid of him, the team will once again return to prosperity...

Whew!

Sorry about that Oblioman... Did I rant too much?

I don't even WATCH the Lakers anymore, and while I still LOVE the Dodgers, it's the Kings that "float my boat", even though they've never quite gotten there yet. And truthfully, I don't really care THAT much about a football stadium here. It's just that they did SUCH a good job w/the Staples Center and the surrounding area that I have full confidence in them to do the same again. Who knows... Maybe my childhood favorite VIKINGS could even wind up here!
No worries GW. You live there and have a better handle on the situation than those of us that read about it. It be me understanding that the parking (for the new stadium) was to be a big problem. If mass transit is available that will alleviate some of the problems - not all of them but some of them. Also understand your love of hockey, and the Kings, but must digress to the history of sports teams in LA. We can't bring back the days of Rosy Grier or Roman Gabriel,,the luster was lost when the Rams left, the Raiders tarnished the image, and imo, if the Vikings traveled south, it would be the end of a 50 year run.
__________________
MEMPHIS ROCKS
oblioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:23 AM   #13
NHL in HD please!!!
 
gwhoughton's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: North Hollywood/Valley Village, CA
Posts: 1,738
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblioman View Post
No worries GW. You live there and have a better handle on the situation than those of us that read about it. It be me understanding that the parking (for the new stadium) was to be a big problem. If mass transit is available that will alleviate some of the problems - not all of them but some of them. Also understand your love of hockey, and the Kings, but must digress to the history of sports teams in LA. We can't bring back the days of Rosy Grier or Roman Gabriel,,the luster was lost when the Rams left, the Raiders tarnished the image, and imo, if the Vikings traveled south, it would be the end of a 50 year run.
Sorry about ranting before Oblioman~

I know it wasn't exactly "yesterday", but what about Kirk Gibson's 1988 World Series home run?!?!? I mean, really... I can't imagine ANYONE not getting goose bumps watching that! Especially if you know the whole story behind it!!

Did you know that particular play was voted to be the biggest sports moment in the past 100 years of LA history? I'd rank it right up there with the greatest sports moments of all time.

Oh, and I know the Raiders have that "bad boy" image (or should I say HAD...), but do you recall 1983 and the Superbowl that year?!? That Marcus Allen TD run was also among the best ever IMO~

Not sure I follow you on the Vikings... What do you mean by a 50 year run? Is that how long they've been in Minn.? Seems about right... I'm 51, and they were my 1st favorite team as a kid. When you mention Rosie Grier & Roman Gabriel, it doesn't mean that much to me, as at that time I lived in Montana, and I was into Fran Tarkington and Joe Capp & the Purple People Eaters! Interestingly enough, I remember watching them in black & white because that was all we had back then~
__________________
Switched to HD 2-2005
SONY KD-34XBR960
gwhoughton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:56 AM   #14
I bleed for HD
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 11,518
Default

Good luck LA and I hope the dodgers thing works out. I am afraid however that your team went from the hands of a scumbag to one of an incompetent and a crook. Selig may be the worst commissioner to ever run a major sport.
__________________
HT- Panasonic TH-50PZ800U 1080p plasma, Panasonic PT-AX200u LCD projector, Elite Vmax Electric 100' screen, Pioneer Elite SC-71 AVR, Paradigm Titan Monitor v5 fronts, Paradigm CC-190 v6 center, Paradigm Atom Monitors v5 surrounds(x4), HSU research VTF-2 sub, HTPC/Gaming rig, Sony BDP-S550 blu-ray, Uverse HD-DVR, Roku 2

Bedroom: Insignia NS-lcd26, Samsung BDP-1400 blu-ray
Den - Vizio 20" 1080p LCD + Samsung BD-p1600


Don't believe everything you read on the internet - Albert Einstein
jkkyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:23 AM   #15
NHL in HD please!!!
 
gwhoughton's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: North Hollywood/Valley Village, CA
Posts: 1,738
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkkyler View Post
Good luck LA and I hope the dodgers thing works out. I am afraid however that your team went from the hands of a scumbag to one of an incompetent and a crook. Selig may be the worst commissioner to ever run a major sport.
Thanks...

I'm hoping that it will just be a transitional thing, and the club will end up in the hands of a more stable individual or group who loves baseball, and wants to field a winning team!!
__________________
Switched to HD 2-2005
SONY KD-34XBR960
gwhoughton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > Off Topic Discussion > Sports Forum
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:54 PM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2004 - 2008, High Def Forum