High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > General Chit Chat > Remote Controls
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

Remote Controls Remote Control Discussion! RSS - Remote Controls

Sony Universal or Harmony?

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2011, 10:08 AM   #1
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 30
Default Sony Universal or Harmony?

Hey Guys,

I just bought a Sony HX909 52" Television and a very nice surround sound system to go along with it. Is there any reason to purchase a Logitech Harmony remote or will my Sony Universal remote that came with my tv do the exact same thing? That Harmony 1100 looks awesome but I don't want to spend the money if my Sony remote does the exact same thing. Can you guys help me out?
raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:23 AM   #2
HDF SUPER-MODERATOR
 
ImRizzo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn & Eastern Long Island, NY ....It's not a place, it's an Attitude and a NY State of Mind !!
Posts: 20,827
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven View Post
Hey Guys,

I just bought a Sony HX909 52" Television and a very nice surround sound system to go along with it. Is there any reason to purchase a Logitech Harmony remote or will my Sony Universal remote that came with my tv do the exact same thing? That Harmony 1100 looks awesome but I don't want to spend the money if my Sony remote does the exact same thing. Can you guys help me out?
The harmony 1100 will allow you to micro tune your remote features for all your components and TV
__________________
Sent from my Fisher Price touch&talk phone~using ITouchmyself II


SonyXBR929-SonyXBR8-Denon 3311CI-Mirage V2 w/S10 Sub-Oppo93-DVP5000-SAHDDVR-Harmony1100 ~ Rizz' HD Toys*link
ImRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:30 AM   #3
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 30
Default

Thanks for the reply, Rizzo. You lost me though. What does micro-tune mean?
raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:37 AM   #4
HDF SUPER-MODERATOR
 
ImRizzo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn & Eastern Long Island, NY ....It's not a place, it's an Attitude and a NY State of Mind !!
Posts: 20,827
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven View Post
Thanks for the reply, Rizzo. You lost me though. What does micro-tune mean?
It means you can designate setting for specific functions to buttons you wish for convienence plus it will do anything our reg remote does, most universals are not capable of that. Also if you have IR lighting and ceiling fans or anything IR it can be programmed to handle extremely versitile.
__________________
Sent from my Fisher Price touch&talk phone~using ITouchmyself II


SonyXBR929-SonyXBR8-Denon 3311CI-Mirage V2 w/S10 Sub-Oppo93-DVP5000-SAHDDVR-Harmony1100 ~ Rizz' HD Toys*link
ImRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:45 PM   #5
"Shitter was Full"
 
Bigloww's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: In a van, down by the river.
Posts: 8,322
Default

If your SS system is also a Sony and you have or will be getting a Sony BD player od PS3, the Sony remote will probably be fine. But if you have a mis-mosh of stuff, I would definately go with the Harmony. And the 1 touch "Activities" feature that will turn on/off and switch to the proper inputs etc. with 1 touch of the button is a great feature.

I have a 550, 650 and 880 and all 3 are great. The 1100 is awesome, but if you just need a basic remote with a max device of 5 or less, I would highly recommend the 650 for around $65 shipped.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmo...0172908&sr=8-2
__________________
Commit to the Indian..

"I don't get drunk, I get awesome"..
Bigloww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:47 PM   #6
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigloww View Post
If your SS system is also a Sony and you have or will be getting a Sony BD player od PS3, the Sony remote will probably be fine. But if you have a mis-mosh of stuff, I would definately go with the Harmony. And the 1 touch "Activities" feature that will turn on/off and switch to the proper inputs etc. with 1 touch of the button is a great feature.

I have a 550, 650 and 880 and all 3 are great. The 1100 is awesome, but if you just need a basic remote with a max device of 5 or less, I would highly recommend the 650 for around $65 shipped.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmo...0172908&sr=8-2
I'm actually getting a pioneer elite vsx-52 receiver and Definitive Technology speakers. I do have a sony ps3 that I use for gaming and as a dvd player.
raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:57 PM   #7
"Shitter was Full"
 
Bigloww's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: In a van, down by the river.
Posts: 8,322
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven View Post
I'm actually getting a pioneer elite vsx-52 receiver and Definitive Technology speakers. I do have a sony ps3 that I use for gaming and as a dvd player.
If the TV, receiver and PS3 is the only 3 devices you have at the moment, the 650 will work fine. And still have room to add 2 move devices down the road or a ceiling fan like me. For $65 it is the best remote for the price IMO. But the 1100 is great if you can afford the $300 price tag.

1 thing of note if you plan on purchasing any Harmony remote. There is a special PS3 adapter needed for the PS3 (at least that was the case). And it runs around $45. I have a 360 and not a PS3, so don't have it and not sure if it is still required on the newer models. But believe that is still the case.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmo...d_bxgy_e_img_b
__________________
Commit to the Indian..

"I don't get drunk, I get awesome"..

Last edited by Bigloww; 11-01-2011 at 02:02 PM.
Bigloww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:21 AM   #8
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
Chris Gerhard's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 10,920
Default

I have the Harmony One, Harmony 880 and Harmony 650 and will third the recommendation for the Harmony 650 if 5 devices or less are all you need to control. If you need more, the Harmony One or Harmony 900 would be my recommendation over the Harmony 1100 based on appearance, I have never used a Harmony 1100.
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > General Chit Chat > Remote Controls
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads to Sony Universal or Harmony?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What have you bought recently? MikeRox High Definition Media 1941 02-09-2013 06:39 AM
What universal remote do you guys have? darkserpant DirecTV Forum 40 03-19-2009 04:48 PM
normal blu ray vs. ps3 blu ray bucketkicka Blu-Ray Players 46 02-02-2009 07:47 PM
Harmony or Universal Remote erict Remote Controls 15 10-08-2008 09:28 AM
Wanted -A2 remote XDRoX For Sale / Wanted / Trades Forum 8 03-21-2008 05:07 PM
Looking into buying a Blu-ray Bravestime Blu-Ray Players 46 12-17-2007 07:50 AM
Review:360 HD-DVD owns PS3 blur-ray... Cygnus HD DVD Players and Discs 75 01-03-2007 07:43 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:15 AM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2004 - 2008, High Def Forum