High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > High Definition Viewing Mediums, HDTVs > Rear-Projection TVs
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

Rear-Projection TVs CRT, DLP, LCD, LCOS RSS - Rear-Projection TVs

Flashing green standby lite, then flashing red lamp light on Sony Wega 50 XBR

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2010, 11:22 PM   #1
What is HD?
 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4
Default Flashing green standby lite, then flashing red lamp light on Sony Wega 50 XBR

4 yr old Sony XBR 50", went to turn it on tonite and it blinked ((Green Standby)) about, oh, 25 times or so, then goes into ((red blinking Lamp)) mode that just blinks continually. Unplugging it gets the red blinking light to stop, until I press power again and it returns to the same identical cycle.

1) I am presuming that is an indicator that the lamp is out or needs to be replaced?

2) where can you recommend the best price for the best replacement bulb, the best I found so far was $82 with free shipping.
MagneMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:13 PM   #2
What is HD?
 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4
Default

Finally got ahold of a Sony tech who confirmed it was in fact the lamp/bulb that was out and needs to be replaced. $82 for the bulb with housing. If you dont get the bulb WITH housing, you will have to rewire the new bulb into the housing before you can replace it.
MagneMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:16 PM   #3
What is HD?
 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4
Default

Replaced the lamp/bulb, and put the cover back on and plugged the tv in and the standby lamp blinked green and then went into a 3 blink pattern. I looked that up and it said that the cover that screws on over the lamp wasnt attached correctly or the lamp was misaligned.

Removed the cover, pulled the lamp out, reinserted it as per directions and put the cover on, firmly and correctly. Turned on TV, same red blink pattern.

Removed cover, pulled lamp, reinserted it, put cover on. Plugged in tv and turned it on and it blinked green a few times and then the picture came on.

Bottom line...dont give up or assume the worst. Sonys own online Techs told me that it needed technical repair, which, it clearly didnt. Try adjusting the obvious things that you just installed, several times before giving up. I am not saying it wasnt frustrating but...it saved me a tech call or hauling it into the repair, or worse yet, buying a new set.

Total cost $90 give or take, my labor was free.
MagneMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 02:23 AM   #4
What is HD?
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1
Default

Congrtas Man,

I am in the same boat right now.

Could you please tell me where you ordered the part from? Is there a place in los angeles, I could go buy from?

Thanks
GRao
grao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:54 AM   #5
What is HD?
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2
Default

I have this tv and a week after warranty I got similar blinking lights.

Turns out it was the little cheap about 3inch fan that blows on the light I assume. The $25 fan ended up costing me a bundle with the two trips by the service crook.

It's 3 years later and my lamp just went out today. Lots of crappola on the internet Im trying to sort out. My research tells me that there are a lot of
'replacement bulbs' out there, some made in China, Israel, etc.

The actual sony bulb with assy block is around $205. Some cheapos
are as low as $65. I'm told the Phillips bulb for around $138 is as good or better than the Sony. What say you?
dandaman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:58 PM   #6
Former Super Moderator
 
Loves2Watch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: In Flux
Posts: 20,284
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandaman27 View Post
I have this tv and a week after warranty I got similar blinking lights.

Turns out it was the little cheap about 3inch fan that blows on the light I assume. The $25 fan ended up costing me a bundle with the two trips by the service crook.

It's 3 years later and my lamp just went out today. Lots of crappola on the internet Im trying to sort out. My research tells me that there are a lot of
'replacement bulbs' out there, some made in China, Israel, etc.

The actual sony bulb with assy block is around $205. Some cheapos
are as low as $65. I'm told the Phillips bulb for around $138 is as good or better than the Sony. What say you?
Philips is the bulb Sony uses so it should be just fine, put out the same light/color temp and last just as long. Since it is not from Sony you're not paying the middleman price. Be wary of other "like" bulbs as they are not "like" or equal to the original.
__________________
It's always time for pie
Live everyday as if it was your last and plan on living forever...
Loves2Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:36 PM   #7
What is HD?
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1
Default Tv blinks green 3 times than red 3 times over and over

I recently ordered a new lamp on my Sony TV and after i put it in and pressed the power button, it blinked green 3 times than red 3 times over and over again. I can't seem to figure out what the problem is. HELP!!!

Last edited by gottvprob; 01-22-2013 at 04:27 PM.
gottvprob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:47 AM   #8
HDF SUPER-MODERATOR
 
ImRizzo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn & Eastern Long Island, NY ....It's not a place, it's an Attitude and a NY State of Mind !!
Posts: 21,225
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottvprob View Post
I recently ordered a new lamp on my Sony TV and after i put it in and pressed the power button, it blinked green 3 times than red 3 times over and over again. I can't seem to figure out what the problem is. I don't seem to see what the problem is. HELP!!!
Take out bulb clean housing of accumulated dust reinstall bulb properly tightly replace cover, and you should be good to go.
__________________
Sent from my Fisher Price touch&talk phone~using ITouchmyself II


SonyXBR929-SonyXBR8-Denon 3311CI-Mirage V2 w/S10 Sub-Oppo93-DVP5000-SAHDDVR-Harmony1100 ~ Rizz' HD Toys*link
ImRizzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:48 PM   #9
Unit Foxhound
 

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sunny San Diego!
Posts: 1
Default

Hello anyone else know the status of the warranties? Thank you!

Last edited by Grey-Fox; 01-16-2014 at 05:15 PM.
Grey-Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:52 AM   #10
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagneMan View Post
4 yr old Sony XBR 50", went to turn it on tonite and it blinked ((Green Standby)) about, oh, 25 times or so, then goes into ((red blinking Lamp)) mode that just blinks continually. Unplugging it gets the red blinking light to stop, until I press power again and it returns to the same identical cycle.

1) I am presuming that is an indicator that the lamp is out or needs to be replaced?

2) where can you recommend the best price for the best replacement bulb, the best I found so far was $82 with free shipping.
The bulb need to be replaced, you are right about it. The price you quoted is about right, you can find the cheaper lamp , but it is still true - you get what you payed for .
__________________
www.tulsatvrepair.biz
rprman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > High Definition Viewing Mediums, HDTVs > Rear-Projection TVs
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:10 PM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2004 - 2008, High Def Forum