High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > Off Topic Discussion > No Topic Forum
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

No Topic Forum Please keep it clean and no politics. RSS - No Topic Forum

Is this what we have come to?

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2008, 05:21 PM   #46
F91
Plasmatic
 
F91's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Port Orchard, WA
Posts: 2,781
Default

Boy, I'm sure glad I don't live next to you scary bad asses!!! ...quiver...
__________________
"you give me a water board, Dick Cheney and one hour, and I'll have him confess to the Sharon Tate murders." Jesse Ventura
Proud to be living in a hatt free zone.
F91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 07:41 PM   #47
HD Fan
 

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas
Posts: 1,023
Default

Actually my ass isn't bad, it's just big. That is scary, however.
__________________
Toshiba 57H83 television, Paradigm Monitor 5 front speakers, Paradigm CC370 center speaker, Paradigm Mini Monitor surround speakers, Sony subwoofer, Yamaha HRT-5590 receiver, Denon DVD-2800 II, Toshiba HD-DVD A2, Play Station 3 - 40 Gig, Comcast HD Cable
SLedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 09:16 AM   #48
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 6,839
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLedford View Post
Actually my ass isn't bad, it's just big. That is scary, however.
You are now driving a Honda Fit subcompact, so it couldn't be too big. Mine fits nice and snug into my Focus, although I prefer the roomier seat in my SUV.
__________________
X360 Gamertag junehhan
Microsoft X360 and Xbox One
-Vizio BDP
-Bose Accoustimass 5.1 channel system

New Lebanon Ohio Rotary Club member
junehhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 10:34 AM   #49
Defender of Sanity
 

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 3,232
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLedford View Post
Ntruder,

I don't think anyone has called for the arrest of the pathetic kid running the website. He has a right to express his opinion, and we have the right to rip his face for his opinion.
True, you have the right to metaphorically rip his face for his opinion, but you don't have the right to kill him.

Nor should this man be "killed by some vigilante" because he was expressing his opinions.

You can't just kill off anyone whom you don't like. Thats not what Americans stand for.
Ntruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 10:46 AM   #50
Defender of Sanity
 

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 3,232
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by junehhan View Post
That sums it up, as Freedom of speech is a two way street. Besides, the problem with Iran is that they are a serious security risk to the entire developed world. Apparantly some nutjob dictator seems to think that the apocalypse is coming very soon and wishes to act on it.
The freedom of speech is a freedom; end of story. Protecting it is what makes us who we are.

Iran is a security risk to the world because we want them to be. The "nutjob dictator" that you refer to has no military power at all. (But you wouldn't know that on an all Fox Noise diet) The Ayatollah controls the military in Iran. Ahmadinejad does not, and if you'd do your homework, you'd probably know how incredibly unpopular Ahmadinejad is in his own country. He's like the President Bush of Iran; The vast majority of Americans can't be represented by Bush's outlandish views, nor can most Iranians be represented by Ahmadinejad's outlandish views.
Ntruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 02:14 PM   #51
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 6,839
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntruder View Post
The freedom of speech is a freedom; end of story. Protecting it is what makes us who we are.

Iran is a security risk to the world because we want them to be. The "nutjob dictator" that you refer to has no military power at all. (But you wouldn't know that on an all Fox Noise diet) The Ayatollah controls the military in Iran. Ahmadinejad does not, and if you'd do your homework, you'd probably know how incredibly unpopular Ahmadinejad is in his own country. He's like the President Bush of Iran; The vast majority of Americans can't be represented by Bush's outlandish views, nor can most Iranians be represented by Ahmadinejad's outlandish views.
Does that make them any less of a security threat? You do realize that this coming apocalypse is why they are believed to be desiring something with a little more boom to it, right? This nutjob believes that he is the element who will carry out the this end to the world, and that doesn't mean we shouldn't pay attention. Anytime you start paying attention, is when you get your ass caught by surprise and get ambushed. If he were to actually suceed acquiring something that makes a big boom, it doesn't matter that it is the minority that actually support and follow him. When you have a region as unstable as that one, why should you become comfortable and stop paying attention to what they are trying to do?
__________________
X360 Gamertag junehhan
Microsoft X360 and Xbox One
-Vizio BDP
-Bose Accoustimass 5.1 channel system

New Lebanon Ohio Rotary Club member
junehhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 02:20 PM   #52
HD Fan
 

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas
Posts: 1,023
Default Iran is a very mixed bag

Ntruder,

your assessment of Iran seems pretty accurate from what I have read and seen (including Fox news). Other than weeding out candidates that are not "Islamic enough", the elections in Iran are probably fair. Ahmadinejad is a joke and not representative of most Iranians, who are surprisingly pro-American, considering the diet of news they are fed. And the his position is mainly ceremonial, the true power is held by the Ayatollah and his council.

IMO, Iran has the best potential to become a stable, progressive democracy in that part of the world, once the people chose to take the power back from the Ayatollah.

I am concerned with a nuclear Iran, however. The government itself is probably not a direct threat, but the weapons can be stolen or given to terrorists by sympathetic government officials / military. I have the same concerns regarding Pakistan, and to a lesser degree, Russia. I seem to remember Ben Laden or one of his lieutenants saying point blank that if they ever got hold of a nuclear device, they would not have a problem using on an American target.

The best way to prevent one of Iran's nuclear weapons from falling into the wrong hands is to stop them from being produced in the first place. So why is Ahmadinejad held up as a poster boy by those trying to stop Iran's weapon production? Because he makes their job easy.
__________________
Toshiba 57H83 television, Paradigm Monitor 5 front speakers, Paradigm CC370 center speaker, Paradigm Mini Monitor surround speakers, Sony subwoofer, Yamaha HRT-5590 receiver, Denon DVD-2800 II, Toshiba HD-DVD A2, Play Station 3 - 40 Gig, Comcast HD Cable
SLedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 02:41 PM   #53
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 6,839
Default

That is very well said! Exactly what I wanted to say, but I just couldn't find the right words. 10 hours of playing GTAIV in the last several days has slowly turned my brain temporarily into slush.

What you said sums up exactly why we cannot just ignore Iran at the moment. The problem right now is that we are currently deeply involved in Iraq, which could prove to be very useful in stabilizing this region when it is finally successful(failure is likely not an option no matter who the next president is). Should a stable democracy finally be established in Iraq, it could be all that is needed to bring about the process of stablizing that region. We know that despite what we hear, we do have many great "friends" in that region. Some like the Saudi's are now very interested in bringing about reform, and the institution of basic human rights that have never existed before.

We know that despite some recent setbacks, terrorist groups like Al-Quada and the Taliban are at the weakest they have ever been in their history. It has cost many dear American and native civilian lives, but our forces and the brave men and women have been relentless despite some bad strategies. Iran could be the last standing peg of despotism in that region that could literally fall all on it's own, especially since the country is in such horrible shape. Yes much of that region is ruled despotically, but some of them can be ignored especially if they can be considered our "friends" and arn't in the pursuit of any technology that might be in contrast to the interests of the rest of the world.

We know that Bush labeled Iran, Iraq, and North Korea as the axis of evil in the world and I am certain that he was indeed correct on that statement. Once this axis falls, I am confident that peace could indeed be possible.


Quote:
Originally Posted by SLedford View Post
Ntruder,

your assessment of Iran seems pretty accurate from what I have read and seen (including Fox news). Other than weeding out candidates that are not "Islamic enough", the elections in Iran are probably fair. Ahmadinejad is a joke and not representative of most Iranians, who are surprisingly pro-American, considering the diet of news they are fed. And the his position is mainly ceremonial, the true power is held by the Ayatollah and his council.

IMO, Iran has the best potential to become a stable, progressive democracy in that part of the world, once the people chose to take the power back from the Ayatollah.

I am concerned with a nuclear Iran, however. The government itself is probably not a direct threat, but the weapons can be stolen or given to terrorists by sympathetic government officials / military. I have the same concerns regarding Pakistan, and to a lesser degree, Russia. I seem to remember Ben Laden or one of his lieutenants saying point blank that if they ever got hold of a nuclear device, they would not have a problem using on an American target.

The best way to prevent one of Iran's nuclear weapons from falling into the wrong hands is to stop them from being produced in the first place. So why is Ahmadinejad held up as a poster boy by those trying to stop Iran's weapon production? Because he makes their job easy.
__________________
X360 Gamertag junehhan
Microsoft X360 and Xbox One
-Vizio BDP
-Bose Accoustimass 5.1 channel system

New Lebanon Ohio Rotary Club member
junehhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 07:27 PM   #54
Freelance Shill
 
kamspy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 22,279
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntruder View Post
True, you have the right to metaphorically rip his face for his opinion, but you don't have the right to kill him.

Nor should this man be "killed by some vigilante" because he was expressing his opinions.

You can't just kill off anyone whom you don't like. Thats not what Americans stand for.
Coming from the guy who loves Rambo?

Blasphemy! Let god sort'em out!
kamspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 08:43 PM   #55
50>30
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,998
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcarcio View Post
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,363821,00.html

I'm sorry but if this country was not so worried about this assholes right to do this bullshit from here in the U.S. he would be arrested as a traitor. I tell you one thing if he lived next door to me there would be some hell for him to pay. This is complete BULLSHIT.........
Promoting terrorism should be a treasonous offense. We are at war any any action to help the enemy of America during war time is the very definition of treason. During World War II if someone was passing out pro-Nazi propraganda I assure you FDR would have had no mercy on him and rightfully so.
__________________
Blu-Ray the only high definition disc format
Jimmy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > Off Topic Discussion > No Topic Forum
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads to Is this what we have come to?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
This might help those wanting to cancel directv service. bboncorr DirecTV Forum 62 12-23-2009 07:21 AM
The New Pioneer with Dual HDMI Outs...Is This Worth a Look? Peter Marlowe Blu-Ray Players 76 06-25-2009 01:36 AM
are what we think are good games really good? oleviarules Gaming & Systems 15 05-25-2008 08:18 PM
What I have come to realize PFC5 High Definition Media 187 05-01-2008 12:11 PM
What are you going to do if Universal & Paramount stay put? Deja Vu High Definition Media 68 02-15-2008 08:20 AM
We Cannot Continue to have 85:15 weeks!!! HarD-DVD High Definition Media 36 02-01-2008 02:17 PM
What the!?! Is this what we've been waiting for!?! mystic7 DirecTV Forum 35 09-19-2007 05:36 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:11 PM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2004 - 2008, High Def Forum