High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > High Definition Hardware > High Definition Receivers, Recorders, Players, Tivos
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

High Definition Receivers, Recorders, Players, Tivos Discuss High Definition Receivers, Recorders, Players, Tivos, etc. Post reviews ask questions, etc. RSS - High Definition Receivers, Recorders, Players, Tivo's

Progressive scan DVD player output only 480i ?

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2008, 05:03 PM   #1
HD fan
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 10
Question Progressive scan DVD player output only 480i ?

Hi,
I just recently bought a 32" Sony Bravia KDL-32S3000 LCD (720p) and it works great with my U-Verse HD service, however, when I connect my existing Panasonic Progressive Scan DVD player via Component cables, the TV shows the signal as 480i. Shouldn't Progressive Scan output be 480p ?

From the manual:
Component video connection is necessary to view 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p formats. Note that this TV displays all video input signals in a resolution of 1,366 dots x 768 line.

Does that mean that because the TV will upscale the source video anyway, it doesn't matter if I connect a progressive scan DVD player or a non-progressive scan ?

TX
txcrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 05:20 PM   #2
Football in HD, mmm good!
 
deadhead68's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Crystal Lake, IL
Posts: 2,923
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txcrude View Post
Hi,
I just recently bought a 32" Sony Bravia KDL-32S3000 LCD (720p) and it works great with my U-Verse HD service, however, when I connect my existing Panasonic Progressive Scan DVD player via Component cables, the TV shows the signal as 480i. Shouldn't Progressive Scan output be 480p ?

From the manual:
Component video connection is necessary to view 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p formats. Note that this TV displays all video input signals in a resolution of 1,366 dots x 768 line.

Does that mean that because the TV will upscale the source video anyway, it doesn't matter if I connect a progressive scan DVD player or a non-progressive scan ?

TX
Have you turned on the Progressive Scan feature in the DVD player? If you had this player hooked up to an older dispay, you probably did not have the Progressive Scan turned on.

DeadHead68
__________________
Panasonic TC-P46X3
HR24-500
Sony STR-DG810 Receiver
Sony BDP-S360
Denon SYS-76HT Speaker System
Harmony 650
deadhead68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 05:24 PM   #3
Sony KD34XS955
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Pointe-Claire QC
Posts: 2,864
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txcrude View Post
Hi,
I just recently bought a 32" Sony Bravia KDL-32S3000 LCD (720p) and it works great with my U-Verse HD service, however, when I connect my existing Panasonic Progressive Scan DVD player via Component cables, the TV shows the signal as 480i. Shouldn't Progressive Scan output be 480p ?

From the manual:
Component video connection is necessary to view 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p formats. Note that this TV displays all video input signals in a resolution of 1,366 dots x 768 line.

Does that mean that because the TV will upscale the source video anyway, it doesn't matter if I connect a progressive scan DVD player or a non-progressive scan ?

TX

If your Panasonic progressive scan DVD player is like mine, then you haven't set it up correctly. To get it to output 480p from its component-video outputs you need to do 2 things. 1) in the DVD player's Set Up menu you must first enable "progressive scan" because the default is "progressive scan disabled". 2) With a DVD actually playing, go into the Play menu and switch the output from 480i to 480p. (You only have to do this the first time). Both steps are necessary.

If you don't know how to use the "Play" menu, consult your DVD player's manual.

Your Sony TV will then indicate that it is receiving a 480p signal.
BrianO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 01:08 PM   #4
My plasma is High Def.
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 9
Default

My Sony has the P option in the set up which needs to be enabled, then on the back is a switch for Auto/Progressive and 1 other thing.
JKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 12:53 PM   #5
HD fan
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 10
Default

Brian,

I had done step #1 but did not know about #2. I will try that tonight. The DVD player used to be hooked up to a 47" HD-ready rear-projection TV which is the reason I bough the progressive scan player but I could never tell any difference. Perhaps I was always running at 480i on that one as well ?

Still, no one has really answered my second question, whether it is even necessary to have a progressive scan player if the DVD does the upconversion to 720p anyway ?
txcrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 02:25 PM   #6
Progress Not Perfection
 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,715
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txcrude View Post
Still, no one has really answered my second question, whether it is even necessary to have a progressive scan player if the DVD does the upconversion to 720p anyway ?
Yes, I believe that you will get better picture quality by setting it to progressive scan.
Scottnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 09:21 PM   #7
HD fan
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 10
Default

BrianO - thanks for your answer which provided the solution. I had only used step #1 but never gone into the Play menu. No wonder I could never tell the difference between the Progressive Scan and non-progressive players on the 47" widescreen TV. The 32" Sony LCD now shows 480p input and it may be a bit better however, that TV probably does a really good job upscaling to 720p anyway, so it already had a good picture.
TX
txcrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 11:26 PM   #8
Sony KD34XS955
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Pointe-Claire QC
Posts: 2,864
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txcrude View Post
BrianO - thanks for your answer which provided the solution. I had only used step #1 but never gone into the Play menu.
TX
Glad to help.
BrianO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:39 PM   #9
What is HD?
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2
Default Sony KDL-32M4000 and Naxa NX-822

Hi guys,

Alright, we've got a Sony BRAVIA KDL-32M4000 hanging on the wall and I recently bought a dirt cheap Naxa Nx-822 DVD player (initially it was supposed to be connected to another TV, but it seems that TV is way too old).

Anyway, I used the "component cables" and the audio is actually working, however, there is no picture and my TV says "no signal".

I understand that the underlying problem is the progressive scan - so I guess my question is: is my Sony TV not supporting that technology at all, or is there a way to flip a few switches and make it work somehow? If the answer is yes, I'd appreciate if anyone could let a clueless person like me know how to do that.

Thanks for your help in advance.
planetcaravan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 04:37 PM   #10
Football in HD, mmm good!
 
deadhead68's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Crystal Lake, IL
Posts: 2,923
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetcaravan7 View Post
Hi guys,

Alright, we've got a Sony BRAVIA KDL-32M4000 hanging on the wall and I recently bought a dirt cheap Naxa Nx-822 DVD player (initially it was supposed to be connected to another TV, but it seems that TV is way too old).

Anyway, I used the "component cables" and the audio is actually working, however, there is no picture and my TV says "no signal".

I understand that the underlying problem is the progressive scan - so I guess my question is: is my Sony TV not supporting that technology at all, or is there a way to flip a few switches and make it work somehow? If the answer is yes, I'd appreciate if anyone could let a clueless person like me know how to do that.

Thanks for your help in advance.
According to the specs for your TV, it definitely accepts a 480p signal. Are you sure the DVD isn't the problem? If the TV has more than 1 Component input have you tried that one? Are you sure you switched the TV to the correct input?

Just some ideas.

DeadHead68
__________________
Panasonic TC-P46X3
HR24-500
Sony STR-DG810 Receiver
Sony BDP-S360
Denon SYS-76HT Speaker System
Harmony 650
deadhead68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:35 PM   #11
What is HD?
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2
Default

DeadHead68,

Thanks for your posting. The TV does have 2 Component inputs - and I only tried one so far (I thought they were identical, but maybe they aren't). So I will definitely try that.

The TV was switched to the correct input, because I did hear sound (put there was no picture).

I actually found a kind of workaround - instead of the "component" connection (five cables), I used the "video" connection (three cables), and that worked. The picture though, seems to be a little blurry.

But as I said, I will take your advice and try to hook it up on the other "component" inputs.

A general question: you did mention that the "DVD" might be the problem. In my unsophisticated non-technical terms - does that mean, that some DVDs might not work with the DVD-player, since they are not "progressive scan" capable?

Thanks again.

planetcaravan72
planetcaravan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 03:43 PM   #12
Football in HD, mmm good!
 
deadhead68's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Crystal Lake, IL
Posts: 2,923
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetcaravan7 View Post
DeadHead68,

Thanks for your posting. The TV does have 2 Component inputs - and I only tried one so far (I thought they were identical, but maybe they aren't). So I will definitely try that.

The TV was switched to the correct input, because I did hear sound (put there was no picture).

I actually found a kind of workaround - instead of the "component" connection (five cables), I used the "video" connection (three cables), and that worked. The picture though, seems to be a little blurry.

But as I said, I will take your advice and try to hook it up on the other "component" inputs.

A general question: you did mention that the "DVD" might be the problem. In my unsophisticated non-technical terms - does that mean, that some DVDs might not work with the DVD-player, since they are not "progressive scan" capable?

Thanks again.

planetcaravan72
Yes, the 3 cable connection is composite which will give a blurry picture.

I should have said the DVD Player may be the problem. It's component out may not be working.

DeadHead68
__________________
Panasonic TC-P46X3
HR24-500
Sony STR-DG810 Receiver
Sony BDP-S360
Denon SYS-76HT Speaker System
Harmony 650
deadhead68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > High Definition Hardware > High Definition Receivers, Recorders, Players, Tivos
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads to Progressive scan DVD player output only 480i ?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Toshiba ED DVD Player! E55 KEV SD DVD Players and Discs 153 06-11-2009 09:04 PM
Good/cheap up-converting DVD player erict SD DVD Players and Discs 19 04-03-2009 01:58 AM
NON-SRT DVD Player from Toshiba coming NEXT WEEK for $149!!!! Super XP High Definition Media 2037 10-30-2008 06:33 AM
Difference between upconvert and conventional DVD player adgjqetuo High Definition Receivers, Recorders, Players, Tivos 12 01-25-2008 01:57 PM
DVD player upconversion via component out innomanhk SD DVD Players and Discs 6 04-24-2006 10:49 PM
ED Plasma and progressive scan DVD setup. pkerrin Flat-Panel TVs 9 07-01-2005 02:08 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:02 AM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2004 - 2008, High Def Forum