High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > Local HDTV Info & Reception > High Definition Programming and Shows
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

High Definition Programming and Shows Talk about HD and programming available on OTA, Cable and Satellite. TV shows both SD and HD should be discussed here. RSS - High Definition Programming

CBS HD vs ABC HD?

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2010, 07:51 AM   #1
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 53
Default CBS HD vs ABC HD?

My family are big Criminal Minds fans. It's got to be one of the best HD shows I've seen in terms of image quality and detail. To compare, Grey's Anatomy (wife is a fan) on ABC looks very soft and subdued. Is this because ABC broadcast in 720p or could it be that Grey's is filmed that way intentionally?
HockeyCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:30 PM   #2
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: West Haven, CT
Posts: 123
Default

I don't know where you live or where you get your signal, but I am in West Haven, CT and with Comcast. I have found the HD quality on our ABC affiliate (WTNH) to always be inferior to that of the other 3 networks. Soft and subdued are an excellent description of what I am seeing also.
Gentilesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:33 PM   #3
Damn B!
 
Nexgenrulz's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kansas
Posts: 3,106
Default

Also holds true with sporting events on CBS as well. College football and the NFL are far superior vs the other networks. I think it has to do with the HD cameras that are used. I know for a fact that CBS uses Sony HD cameras (as well as TBS) and Fox uses Canon. Fox here lately as well as ESPN have gone down hill in terms of picture quality.
__________________
Certified Sony Fanboy!
Nexgenrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:52 PM   #4
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 153
Default

I'm guessing you guys have 1080p sets?
rantanamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:04 PM   #5
Damn B!
 
Nexgenrulz's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kansas
Posts: 3,106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
I'm guessing you guys have 1080p sets?
2 of my 3 are. But what does that have to do with the picture quality of network tv?
__________________
Certified Sony Fanboy!
Nexgenrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:32 PM   #6
Relax
 
jmwatkins's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexgenrulz View Post
Also holds true with sporting events on CBS as well. College football and the NFL are far superior vs the other networks. I think it has to do with the HD cameras that are used. I know for a fact that CBS uses Sony HD cameras (as well as TBS) and Fox uses Canon. Fox here lately as well as ESPN have gone down hill in terms of picture quality.
I agree, CBS has the best PQ for football. I don't watch much baseball, but the PQ on TBS's playoff baseball coverage is the best looking baseball I've seen. I don't know what it is about ABC and ESPN, but football games have by far the worst looking PQ on those networks.
jmwatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:36 PM   #7
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: West Haven, CT
Posts: 123
Default

Yes I do have a 1080p
Gentilesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 03:09 PM   #8
Damn B!
 
Nexgenrulz's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kansas
Posts: 3,106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwatkins View Post
I agree, CBS has the best PQ for football. I don't watch much baseball, but the PQ on TBS's playoff baseball coverage is the best looking baseball I've seen. I don't know what it is about ABC and ESPN, but football games have by far the worst looking PQ on those networks.
Here is an article written about the PQ of Fox's baseball coverage back in October.

http://www.tvpredictions.com/foxpix102110.htm

That's right. I'm not sure what Fox is putting on the air this week, but it's definitely not a high-def picture. I have two TV providers (DIRECTV and Comcast) and three televisions, including a state-of-the-art $22,000 Home Theater system, and I can assure you that the picture is not HD.

In contrast, the TBS broadcast of the AL Championship Series between the Yankees and Rangers has been crystal-clear HD with vivid, eye-popping color. Going from TBS to Fox this week has been like going from day to night.
__________________
Certified Sony Fanboy!
Nexgenrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:07 PM   #9
Every day is Friday
 
oblioman's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Hooooterville
Posts: 9,291
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexgenrulz View Post
Here is an article written about the PQ of Fox's baseball coverage back in October.

http://www.tvpredictions.com/foxpix102110.htm

That's right. I'm not sure what Fox is putting on the air this week, but it's definitely not a high-def picture. I have two TV providers (DIRECTV and Comcast) and three televisions, including a state-of-the-art $22,000 Home Theater system, and I can assure you that the picture is not HD.

In contrast, the TBS broadcast of the AL Championship Series between the Yankees and Rangers has been crystal-clear HD with vivid, eye-popping color. Going from TBS to Fox this week has been like going from day to night.
One more reason to quit watching Fox! nah,,,,just pulling on yuh. Me notices the same thing,,,and someday's it be hit and miss. There be days when Fox is pristine,,,,,and other days when CBS is great,,but ABC seems to always be shabby when it comes to sports.
__________________
MEMPHIS ROCKS
oblioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:15 PM   #10
Damn B!
 
Nexgenrulz's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kansas
Posts: 3,106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblioman View Post
One more reason to quit watching Fox! nah,,,,just pulling on yuh. Me notices the same thing,,,and someday's it be hit and miss. There be days when Fox is pristine,,,,,and other days when CBS is great,,but ABC seems to always be shabby when it comes to sports.
I'll to that!
__________________
Certified Sony Fanboy!
Nexgenrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 06:24 AM   #11
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Glenolden, PA
Posts: 102
Default

Even though this thread is over 2 months old I just wanted to chime in.
I too thought FOX had an amazing picture...last year. Especially pre-game football with Howie and Terry in the studio. The picture used to jump off the screen with vivid colors.

Now it is no where near as good. I though it was my set but reading this thread confirms that it is the studio.

Why would networks switch to inferior equipment? I sure hope other channels don't follow FOX.
Buddyjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:13 AM   #12
HDF SUPER-MODERATOR
 
ImRizzo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn & Eastern Long Island, NY ....It's not a place, it's an Attitude and a NY State of Mind !!
Posts: 20,968
Default

In the New York market FOX has very good PQ especially in their higher rated series, ie
House, Fringe, and most sporting events. At least on Cablevision Optimum svc.
__________________
Sent from my Fisher Price touch&talk phone~using ITouchmyself II


SonyXBR929-SonyXBR8-Denon 3311CI-Mirage V2 w/S10 Sub-Oppo93-DVP5000-SAHDDVR-Harmony1100 ~ Rizz' HD Toys*link
ImRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:40 PM   #13
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,680
Default

In our local market CBS sucks. They've had problems for a while with equipment and just switched from VHF to UHF but that didn't even help. At one time they were very good. All the others have excellent PQ. Football on both ABC and Fox are far superior to CBS.

Sports should be better on both ABC and Fox because they are broadcasting progressive instead of interlaced and therefore are less susceptible to any motion blur. That's the main reason they opted for 720p instead of 1080i.
lsilvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:20 PM   #14
Administrator
 
rbinck's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Katy, Texas
Posts: 15,980
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsilvest View Post
Sports should be better on both ABC and Fox because they are broadcasting progressive instead of interlaced and therefore are less susceptible to any motion blur. That's the main reason they opted for 720p instead of 1080i.
Should be technically, but the truth is there is a great deal of camera motion blur on every channel when it comes to fast motion. Here is an example. It was cut out of a frame grab. The frame grab was from the NASCAR Daytona 500 that I recorded OTA and I cut a smaller portion in order to make it small enough to fit in a post. The original grab was 1280x720.


As you can see the cars are pretty clear, but the fence posts and the crowd is quite blurry. Being FOX it was 720p, but you would get that at 1080i as well. You would get that on both LCDs and plasmas for that matter because it is in the source.
rbinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:34 PM   #15
HDF SUPER-MODERATOR
 
ImRizzo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn & Eastern Long Island, NY ....It's not a place, it's an Attitude and a NY State of Mind !!
Posts: 20,968
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbinck View Post
Should be technically, but the truth is there is a great deal of camera motion blur on every channel when it comes to fast motion. Here is an example. It was cut out of a frame grab. The frame grab was from the NASCAR Daytona 500 that I recorded OTA and I cut a smaller portion in order to make it small enough to fit in a post. The original grab was 1280x720.


As you can see the cars are pretty clear, but the fence posts and the crowd is quite blurry. Being FOX it was 720p, but you would get that at 1080i as well. You would get that on both LCDs and plasmas for that matter because it is in the source.
That is also a product of TV cameras on fixed focus panning the action. A lot of factors involved to inc fast movig action against a fixed background and foreground the depth of feild on the lens openning etc.
__________________
Sent from my Fisher Price touch&talk phone~using ITouchmyself II


SonyXBR929-SonyXBR8-Denon 3311CI-Mirage V2 w/S10 Sub-Oppo93-DVP5000-SAHDDVR-Harmony1100 ~ Rizz' HD Toys*link
ImRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > Local HDTV Info & Reception > High Definition Programming and Shows
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads to CBS HD vs ABC HD?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
More Comcast HD... Finally vmann31 Cable Providers 119 11-20-2008 07:33 AM
Indoor antenna vs cable signal dawgfan Local HDTV Info and Reception 16 05-07-2008 10:12 PM
CBS HD vs ABC HD college FB broadcast. kryptonian The High Definition Lounge 9 11-25-2007 11:11 PM
FIOS HDTV VS Comcast HDTV Mineo1983 Verizon FiOS 83 11-02-2007 04:13 PM
rbinck - Blockiness artifacts - Two more questions slowmo The High Definition Lounge 6 01-16-2006 10:15 AM
how 2 get ABC HD in time throwback559 DirecTV Forum 10 12-13-2005 07:10 PM
TX vs OU definition05 DirecTV Forum 12 10-05-2005 05:15 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:27 AM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2004 - 2008, High Def Forum