High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > High Definition DVDs & Movies > High Definition Media
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

High Definition Media A place to discuss BD, HD DVD and D-VHS and things that affect adoption of HD Media RSS - High Definition Media

Super Resolution Coming To DVD Players (960P)

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2008, 06:29 PM   #181
HD Elitist
 
hatt's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: FL
Age: 38
Posts: 6,294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4HD View Post
What you forget is that that studio support is already in place for this and the format is already miles ahead of BD.... How is BD going to block this from happening?
Studios are in place to want a tech that makes existing DVDs look so good they don't need to be sold new and better products? I wouldn't have guessed that.
hatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:32 PM   #182
SD HURTS MY EYES
 
Stew4HD's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tejas Baby
Posts: 9,989
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatt View Post
Studios are in place to want a tech that makes existing DVDs look so good they don't need to be sold new and better products? I wouldn't have guessed that.
That just breaks your heart, doesn't it? It'sa win-win scenerio for the consumer.. OMG!
__________________
___________________________________
For PFC5 I miss ya, buddy WB L2W!
Living Room:
*JVC DLA-RS40 3D projector
Da-Lite wall mounted screen 110" diag.
DirecTV DVR
Sony PlayStation 3 60GB (first gen)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD
*Denon AVR-A100
Magnepan MMGW L/R
Magnepan MMGC center
Aperion 5DB surrounds
Aperion 10D sub
Oppo BDP-83SE
*Panny DMP-BDT100
XBOX 360 (first gen)
HTPC
WII
*special thanks to Robert at valueelectronics.com, you are great to work with!
Stew4HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:40 PM   #183
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,968
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
No . . . we have already seen what happens to products that require STUDIO support and don't get it. The SR DVD player requires no studio support of any kind that differs from today - they ALL sell DVD's. About 1 billion per year.
You must have forgotten Toshiba's marketing 'It plays HDDVDs AND it upscales DVD to near HD'
Are you saying they'll have a much better chance just saying
'It doesnt play HD movies but it upscales DVD to near HD'?
ssjLancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:42 PM   #184
Muscle Cars Forever!
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 37,409
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatt View Post
I'd like you to explain why J6P is going to invest more money to go from "Nearly HD" with what he already has to "Full nearly HD?"
If he has an UP DVD player - he probably won't. You seem to think the whole world has an HDTV and that is flat out wrong. Less than 1/3 have one leaving 2/3's without one.

When J6P buys an HDTV he may look at the options he has for better PQ by disc. He will have three when SR comes out:

UP DVD
SR DVD
BD

So which one is the most expensive?
Lee Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:44 PM   #185
Muscle Cars Forever!
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 37,409
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjLancer View Post
You must have forgotten Toshiba's marketing 'It plays HDDVDs AND it upscales DVD to near HD'
Are you saying they'll have a much better chance just saying
'It doesnt play HD movies but it upscales DVD to near HD'?
Sorry . . . only a "paid shill" for Toshiba. Not part of their marketing department.

Lee Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:44 PM   #186
Freelance Shill
 
kamspy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 22,274
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
If he has an UP DVD player - he probably won't. You seem to think the whole world has an HDTV and that is flat out wrong. Less than 1/3 have one leaving 2/3's without one.

When J6P buys an HDTV he may look at the options he has for better PQ by disc. He will have three when SR comes out:

UP DVD
SR DVD
BD

So which one is the most expensive?
The best one. Seriously, will J6P be able to tell SR DVD players and UP DVD players apart? He had a hard enough time with figuring out HD DVD and Blu-Ray.

Lest not forget that retailers will still push Blu. They are no happier about shrinking DVD sales than the studios are. That is why we have BD and HD DVD.

Personally, I would like to see one in action, but $300 is a bit much.
kamspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:47 PM   #187
Muscle Cars Forever!
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 37,409
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamspy View Post
The best one. Seriously, will J6P be able to tell SR DVD players and UP DVD players apart? He had a hard enough time with figuring out HD DVD and Blu-Ray.

Lest not forget that retailers will still push Blu. They are no happier about shrinking DVD sales than the studios are. That is why we have BD and HD DVD.

Personally, I would like to see one in action, but $300 is a bit much.
Where did you come up with a price of $300? Link please

DVD revenue declined by less than 4% for 2007. 1/3 of the revenue is rentals of which retailers never see one penny from. HDTV's declined in price by over 15% in 2007. THAT is what hurt them. Not a decline of 3.7% in DVD sales.

We have no idea how Toshiba is going to market the SR DVD player. YOU want to guess - go right ahead. Good chance you will be wrong though.

Last edited by Lee Stewart; 03-04-2008 at 06:50 PM.
Lee Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:48 PM   #188
Smarter than the ave bear
 
crazyal's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 3,330
Default

A week or so ago I said I thought Toshiba found something along the lines of upconverting. Hense Toshiba's little fight when the end came for HD DVD. If they start calling this super resolution J6P is just going to see two products.

One will require all new equipment as well as new movies while the other will play his entire collection just fine, just the cost of the player is all he's out. Even the name can cause confusion. He'll ask himself is 'Super' better than 'High' or is it the other way around?

Sony is going to find itself in an awkward position. If Toshiba can do it with the cell should the PS3 as well. If Sony does write the new FW then they are kind of pulling the rug out from the studios who are trying to make Blu-Ray the next cash cow. If they don't then what will J6P think.
__________________
Please don't feed the Unicorns
crazyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:50 PM   #189
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,968
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
Where did you come up with a price of $300? Link please

We have no idea how Toshiba is going to market the SR DVD player. YOU want to guess - go right ahead. Good chance you will be wrong though.
The best guess would be that Toshiba doesnt market it at all, just like you dont see the realta chip getting marketed.

Lets just end the argument until we have a price, release date, and more info. I dont even think this is Toshiba's best use for the Cell, didnt they have a TV playing 16 different shows at once at CES? they'll probably market that as the next gen PiP over a new way of upconverting in dvd players.
ssjLancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:52 PM   #190
Official HDF BD Reviewer
 
HD Goofnut's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mississippi, U.S.A. Your resident Dune, Star Wars, and war film expert
Posts: 9,613
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjLancer View Post
The best guess would be that Toshiba doesnt market it all, just like you dont see the realta chip getting marketed.

Lets just end the argument until we have a price, release date, and more info. I dont even think this is Toshiba's best use for the Cell, didnt they have a TV playing 16 different shows at once at CES? they'll probably market that as the next gen PiP over new way of upconverting.
Why would anyone want to watch 16 channels at once? It's been proven that the human brain cannot comprehend all those different feeds at one time.
__________________
HD Goofnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:52 PM   #191
Muscle Cars Forever!
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 37,409
Default

Does anyone know who holds the patents for this super resolution process? It is not Toshiba. Toshiba has the necessary horsepower via the Spurs Engine to accomplish it.
Lee Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:58 PM   #192
Muscle Cars Forever!
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 37,409
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjLancer View Post
The best guess would be that Toshiba doesnt market it at all, just like you dont see the realta chip getting marketed.
So the CEO was lying during the interview? And Toshiba was lying all throughout CES 2008 where is was shown?
Thousands of people have already seen it in action - and they all rave about the results. Are they lying also?

Quote:
Lets just end the argument until we have a price, release date, and more info. I dont even think this is Toshiba's best use for the Cell, didnt they have a TV playing 16 different shows at once at CES? they'll probably market that as the next gen PiP over a new way of upconverting in dvd players.
They are not going to use the Cell. They will use the Spurs instead. It is half the capacity of the Cell and probably less than half the price of the Cell.

What is THE BIG complaint from anyone who first gets an HDTV? (We have seen it 1000 times if we have seen it once) . . .

"Why do the SD channels on my HDTV look so bad?"

This may very well be the first application of this technology - in Toshiba HDTV's. (and there is another CEM lined up - I believe it is Sharp)
Lee Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:59 PM   #193
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,968
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
Why would anyone want to watch 16 channels at once? It's been proven that the human brain cannot comprehend all those different feeds at one time.
Umm no, 1 or 2 big images and having much smaller 'previews' of 14 more on the side. Think of it as the multitask bar in Vista applied to your TV.

Last edited by ssjLancer; 03-04-2008 at 07:04 PM.
ssjLancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:02 PM   #194
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,968
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
So the CEO was lying during the interview? And Toshiba was lying all throughout CES 2008 where is was shown?
Thousands of people have already seen it in action - and they all rave about the results. Are they lying also?
You arent new, youve seen Toshiba market HDDVD. Do you honestly see them having a commercial and informing the customer about a new upconverting player?

Quote:
They are not going to use the Cell. They will use the Spur instead. It is half the capacity of the Cell and probably less than half the price of the Cell.
Still the Cell architecture. Probably from the same factory that produces PS3 chips.

Quote:
What is THE BIG complaint from anyone who first gets an HDTV? (We have seen it 1000 times if we have seen it once) . . .

"Why do the SD channels on my HDTV look so bad?"

This may very well be the first application of this technology - in Toshiba HDTV's. (and there is another CEM lined up - I believe it is Sharp)
Then you agree with me, its more likely they'll be focusing more on the HDTV line than a new upconverting DVD player.
ssjLancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:08 PM   #195
Muscle Cars Forever!
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 37,409
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjLancer View Post
You arent new, youve seen Toshiba market HDDVD. Do you honestly see them having a commercial and informing the customer about a new upconverting player?
Why not? Any reason they wouldn't?

Quote:
Still the Cell architecture. Probably from the same factory that produces PS3 chips.
Nope - different factories.

Quote:
Then you agree with me, its more likely they'll be focusing more on the HDTV line than a new upconverting DVD player.
Their HDTV's are a perfect application for it. As far as the line of SR DVD players? Unknown. But the CEO said it was coming. And Now that Toshiba has folded HD DVD, they can continue to improve DVD. They are the major patent holder on DVD.

They have established a Working Group to explore the use of the internet with DVD - like BD Live/2.0 and HD DVD's Web Enable. Do you want the link to the DVD Forums website? Lots of info there. www.dvdforum.com
Lee Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > High Definition DVDs & Movies > High Definition Media
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads to Super Resolution Coming To DVD Players (960P)
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Toshiba's XDE DVD players won't hurt Blu-ray Disc Bravestime High Definition Media 260 05-12-2009 08:21 AM
The Godfather hits Blu ray September 23 iDarren High Definition Media 76 10-06-2008 08:14 PM
Does the Audio quality matter on the "Super Upconverting" 960p DVD player? Vortex3D High Definition Media 65 04-08-2008 10:01 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:55 AM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2004 - 2008, High Def Forum