High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > High Definition DVDs & Movies > High Definition Media
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

High Definition Media A place to discuss BD, HD DVD and D-VHS and things that affect adoption of HD Media RSS - High Definition Media

Michael Bay Takes on HD DVD

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2007, 05:09 PM   #1
What's AVS?
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: VA
Posts: 204
Default Michael Bay Takes on HD DVD

Quote:
December 4, 2007 - Some of you might remember back to the days leading up to the announcement that the summer blockbuster Transformers would be getting its high-def release on HD DVD the good old days when director Michal Bay had this to say about the HD DVD format.

After retracting his initial statement, Bay is back on his website's official forums with some more HD DVD bashing, except that this time, his focus is on Microsoft. Responding to a post about the reluctance to release a myriad of the director's films on Blu-ray, Bay stated:

"What you don't understand is corporate politics. Microsoft wants both formats to fail so they can be heroes and make the world move to digital downloads. That is the dirty secret no one is talking about. That is why Microsoft is handing out $100 million dollar checks to studios just embrace the HD DVD and not the leading, and superior Blu Ray. They want confusion in the market until they perfect the digital downloads. Time will tell and you will see the truth."
http://dvd.ign.com/articles/839/839545p1.html

What a crack pipe.
Hip Name Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:13 PM   #2
HD
 
connerc_37's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 404
Default

Well his only good movie has been released so it doesn't matter what he says.
__________________
Location: Seattle WA



50' in Samsung Plasma [/b]
42' in Viore Plasma
Xbox 360
Sony PS3
Dish HD
connerc_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:13 PM   #3
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 409
Default

But it is true. Wish you guys would admit it or at least see the truth.
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:13 PM   #4
FIFA 10 > PES 2010
 
KEEBS1984's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: PORTLAND!!!... OR
Posts: 2,658
Default

What an idiot. . .

Maybe if he took some time off making crappy movies (sorry I didn't like Transformers) and actually did some research into the matter there is a COMPLETELY different reason why Microsoft wants HD DVD to win so badly. They get a royalty check on each HD DVD sold because they developed the HDi software. . .

Microsoft is not stupid. They know that there is neither the bandwidth nor the hard drive space to handle the digital downloading of movies. They are a software company, and as such, they want to control more software. Having the rights to develop the software for the next major format is HUGE. Not only in monetary means, but also in bragging rights. . .
KEEBS1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:15 PM   #5
What's AVS?
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: VA
Posts: 204
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEEBS1984 View Post
What an idiot. . .

Maybe if he took some time off making crappy movies (sorry I didn't like Transformers) and actually did some research into the matter there is a COMPLETELY different reason why Microsoft wants HD DVD to win so badly. They get a royalty check on each HD DVD sold because they developed the HDi software. . .

Microsoft is not stupid. They know that there is neither the bandwidth nor the hard drive space to handle the digital downloading of movies. They are a software company, and as such, they want to control more software. Having the rights to develop the software for the next major format is HUGE. Not only in monetary means, but also in bragging rights. . .
Right on. They aren't stupid, optical disks are not going to be replaced any time soon.
Hip Name Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:16 PM   #6
FIFA 10 > PES 2010
 
KEEBS1984's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: PORTLAND!!!... OR
Posts: 2,658
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter View Post
But it is true. Wish you guys would admit it or at least see the truth.
Ya. . . your right. Thats why before aligning with HD DVD, Microsoft actually appraoched Sony and the BDA with the offer to ahve them use the LESS-complicated, and MORE-powerful Microsoft AND Disney developed HDi software. You know. . . so they could destroy both formats in an evil maniacal plot to control all means of distribution.

Did you even read your own post? It sounds absolutely rediculous.
KEEBS1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:17 PM   #7
Connoisseur of Fine Games
 
MikeRox's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Posts: 15,756
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter View Post
But it is true. Wish you guys would admit it or at least see the truth.
Would definitely explain why they were neutral until the BDA dismissed HDi I think it's more they don't have software with BD that they can encorporate into Windows.

At the end of the day neither side is a saint, and they're all as bad as each other. The soon BD fans stop trying to portrait Microsoft and Toshiba as the evil, and HD DVD fans stop portraiting Sony as the evil do'ers, the sooner you'll all realise that at the end of the day it's all about making $$$, for Microsoft, the maximum potential revenue comes from HD DVD being successful, for Sony and BDA members it comes from Blu-ray.
__________________
Currently Playing: Xenoblade Chronicles, Ridge Racer 3D, DIRT 3
MikeRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:17 PM   #8
Muscle Cars Forever!
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 37,543
Default

So Michael Baby is at it again.

He was slapped down the last time - got a bunch of press over it also.

So I guess he misses seeing his name in the press now that Transformers has come and gone.
Lee Stewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:21 PM   #9
Muscle Cars Forever!
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 37,543
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRox View Post
Would definitely explain why they were neutral until the BDA dismissed HDi I think it's more they don't have software with BD that they can encorporate into Windows.

At the end of the day neither side is a saint, and they're all as bad as each other. The soon BD fans stop trying to portrait Microsoft and Toshiba as the evil, and HD DVD fans stop portraiting Sony as the evil do'ers, the sooner you'll all realise that at the end of the day it's all about making $$$, for Microsoft, the maximum potential revenue comes from HD DVD being successful, for Sony and BDA members it comes from Blu-ray.
Well Gee Mike - how about you stand by any BB or CC or Target or what ever CE stores they have in the UK on 1/1/08 (you have the day off don't you) and explain to the folks with boxed up BD players and a 1.1 title in their hand why the PIP feature doesn't work.

And they bought the player 6 days earlier.
Lee Stewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:22 PM   #10
My Projector is High Def.
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Marlborough, MA
Age: 40
Posts: 7,089
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter View Post
But it is true. Wish you guys would admit it or at least see the truth.
No, its not.

Microsoft simply wants to be the leader in online downloads - they don't want to replace physical media. While it may be feasible in the future, its still far off from becoming a reality. Currently today, its just not possible - Microsoft is well aware of this.
mshulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:24 PM   #11
Connoisseur of Fine Games
 
MikeRox's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Posts: 15,756
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
Well Gee Mike - how about you stand by any BB or CC or Target or what ever CE stores they have in the UK on 1/1/08 (you have the day off don't you) and explain to the folks with boxed up BD players and a 1.1 title in their hand why the PIP feature doesn't work.

And they bought the player 6 days earlier.
Lol, I don't get why you've levied that at me but...

there are only 2500 stand alone Blu-ray players have been sold in the UK anyway versus probably 700,000 PS3s.
__________________
Currently Playing: Xenoblade Chronicles, Ridge Racer 3D, DIRT 3
MikeRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:30 PM   #12
Muscle Cars Forever!
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 37,543
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRox View Post
Lol, I don't get why you've levied that at me but...

there are only 2500 stand alone Blu-ray players have been sold in the UK anyway versus probably 700,000 PS3s.
I think this prompted it:

Quote:
At the end of the day neither side is a saint, and they're all as bad as each other
Lee Stewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:36 PM   #13
Connoisseur of Fine Games
 
MikeRox's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Posts: 15,756
Default

__________________
Currently Playing: Xenoblade Chronicles, Ridge Racer 3D, DIRT 3
MikeRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:39 PM   #14
Muscle Cars Forever!
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 37,543
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRox View Post
You don't understand?

OK - please name me the HD DVD title that absolutely will not play the IME or IF/WE features that are listed on the back of the box.
Lee Stewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:41 PM   #15
Connoisseur of Fine Games
 
MikeRox's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Posts: 15,756
Default

none of them that would be released after a certain date if Toshiba decided to pull the plug on HD DVD. though the IME wouldn't work on those 1.0 players, there'd still be movies coming out.
__________________
Currently Playing: Xenoblade Chronicles, Ridge Racer 3D, DIRT 3
MikeRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > High Definition DVDs & Movies > High Definition Media
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads to Michael Bay Takes on HD DVD
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I just got some info about a studio going neutral PFC5 High Definition Media 487 12-19-2007 12:54 PM
Report: Warner Takes Centerstage in High-Def Format War Super XP High Definition Media 60 12-10-2007 12:23 AM
Its very clear $99 players have blu-ray fans feeling very insecure today!! mshulman High Definition Media 63 11-02-2007 11:17 AM
Michael Bay's at it again hippy fascist High Definition Media 54 10-24-2007 06:49 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:32 PM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2004 - 2008, High Def Forum