High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > High Definition DVDs & Movies > High Definition Media
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

High Definition Media A place to discuss BD, HD DVD and D-VHS and things that affect adoption of HD Media RSS - High Definition Media

TL51 Should Work With ALL HD DVD Players!

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2007, 12:32 PM   #1
Muscle Cars Forever!
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 37,693
Cool TL51 Should Work With ALL HD DVD Players!

The good news is that the 51GB discs should play in all HD DVD players currently on the market. We discussed this with James Armour from Toshiba's optical storage division at CeBIT this year, and were told that although the third layer would be harder to read, and generate more data errors, the player's error correction should be able to fix these problems without picture and sound problems.

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9776981-1.html

Conference on Sept. 14th should confirm this

Last edited by Lee Stewart; 09-12-2007 at 12:34 PM. Reason: fix title
Lee Stewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 12:40 PM   #2
FIFA 10 > PES 2010
 
KEEBS1984's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: PORTLAND!!!... OR
Posts: 2,658
Default

One step closer to the one side DVD/HD DVD discs that will replace DVDs altogether.
KEEBS1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 12:46 PM   #3
Muscle Cars Forever!
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 37,693
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEEBS1984 View Post
One step closer to the one side DVD/HD DVD discs that will replace DVDs altogether.
No- that has already been proven to work with no issues. It was the 3rd layer of HD that was the concern.

The DL/TL Twin:




Lee Stewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 12:53 PM   #4
Simmer Down
 
SOBAY310's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Posts: 8,732
Default

Just a quick newb HD-DVD question. Do most of the new releases offer a combo disc for both HD and Standard DVD?
SOBAY310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 12:53 PM   #5
SD HURTS MY EYES
 
Stew4HD's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tejas Baby
Posts: 9,989
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
No- that has already been proven to work with no issues. It was the 3rd layer of HD that was the concern.

The DL/TL Twin:




Wait a minute, I heard that TL51 was vapourware...
__________________
___________________________________
For PFC5 I miss ya, buddy WB L2W!
Living Room:
*JVC DLA-RS40 3D projector
Da-Lite wall mounted screen 110" diag.
DirecTV DVR
Sony PlayStation 3 60GB (first gen)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD
*Denon AVR-A100
Magnepan MMGW L/R
Magnepan MMGC center
Aperion 5DB surrounds
Aperion 10D sub
Oppo BDP-83SE
*Panny DMP-BDT100
XBOX 360 (first gen)
HTPC
WII
*special thanks to Robert at valueelectronics.com, you are great to work with!
Stew4HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 12:54 PM   #6
HD DVD: Still the best!
 
El Despairado's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: North Dakota
Age: 37
Posts: 903
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEEBS1984 View Post
One step closer to the one side DVD/HD DVD discs that will replace DVDs altogether.
I don't know how well this will go over, regarding the TL Twin. It would be interesting to see how consumers wodld respond, but I don't see this as such a big deal right now. It seems to me that all this means is that instead of HD DVD/SD DVD Combo flippers like we have now, we would just have a Combo with one side.

I mean, how will this change the way the product is marketed? They are still going to have to keep this in HD DVD packaging for now, and brand it as HD DVD, I think. The reason I say this is because this technology is going to cost more, which will translate to the consumer. Don't you think this would result in a more expensive title purchase for all consumers? Why would the price of the TL51 be any less than the prices of current HD DVD/SD DVD combos??? I don't think consumers will be too happy to not have a choice by having a technology they might not need or want, and having to pay an extra premium for it to boot. Those are Sony tactics!

However, if they kept TL51 prices at current SD DVD prices then it would be awesome, because I would only imagine this would drive down HD DVD titles prices to the same price as current SD DVD prices. Who knows if that would be the case?

I think it's way too early to get excited about the TL Twin to get excited, IMO. The TL51 just means we take away the Blu-ray storage advantage.
__________________
Consumers did not choose the winner of the format war, the movie studios did, and now consumers are stuck with the decision.

Samsung HL-S6187W
Yamaha RX-V2700
Toshiba HD-XA2
RF/LF-Polk Audio RTi8
Center-Polk Audio CSi3
SL/SR-Polk Audio RTi6
LFE-Polk Audio P505 300watt self amplified.
Xbox 360


Administrator of Horns Up International
hornsupinternational.freeforums.org
El Despairado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 12:59 PM   #7
Smarter than the ave bear
 
crazyal's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 3,330
Default

Kind of interesting side info in there too. Like the 100GB BD disc, love to see Sony make that one happen. Yields are what with two layers and they think they can add two more? Kind of interesting if the CH-DVD would work in a HD DVD player.
crazyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 01:00 PM   #8
Muscle Cars Forever!
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 37,693
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Despairado View Post
I don't know how well this will go over, regarding the TL Twin. It would be interesting to see how consumers wodld respond, but I don't see this as such a big deal right now. It seems to me that all this means is that instead of HD DVD/SD DVD Combo flippers like we have now, we would just have a Combo with one side.

I mean, how will this change the way the product is marketed? They are still going to have to keep this in HD DVD packaging for now, and brand it as HD DVD, I think. The reason I say this is because this technology is going to cost more, which will translate to the consumer. Don't you think this would result in a more expensive title purchase for all consumers? Why would the price of the TL51 be any less than the prices of current HD DVD/SD DVD combos??? I don't think consumers will be too happy to not have a choice by having a technology they might not need or want, and having to pay an extra premium for it to boot. Those are Sony tactics!

However, if they kept TL51 prices at current SD DVD prices then it would be awesome, because I would only imagine this would drive down HD DVD titles prices to the same price as current SD DVD prices. Who knows if that would be the case?

I think it's way too early to get excited about the TL Twin to get excited, IMO. The TL51 just means we take away the Blu-ray storage advantage.
You are not looking at this from a business standpoint. A TL Twin (30/5) will replace both the HD DVD AND the DVD release - One box - one SKU (and that SKU will read as an HD DVD) - slightly more than a DVD as far as pricing. Will hold a 130 minute movie for both SD and HD.

Idiot proof - looks just like a DVD with silk screen on top. Players in ANY optical disc player; DVD, HD DVD and of course BD. Player auto. starts with correct layer - SD or HD DVD.

Made on existing DVD/HD DVD lines - costs a nominal amount extra.

The TL Twin will be ready to use before the end of Q4 2007
Lee Stewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 01:31 PM   #9
Nikopol
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

if the TL Twin works, they just have to get it into their head, that selling it for maybe 5$ more than SD DVD will give them much more profit than trying to sell it for 2xSD DVD price.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 01:32 PM   #10
HD DVD: Still the best!
 
El Despairado's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: North Dakota
Age: 37
Posts: 903
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
You are not looking at this from a business standpoint. A TL Twin (30/5) will replace both the HD DVD AND the DVD release - One box - one SKU (and that SKU will read as an HD DVD) - slightly more than a DVD as far as pricing. Will hold a 130 minute movie for both SD and HD.

Idiot proof - looks just like a DVD with silk screen on top. Players in ANY optical disc player; DVD, HD DVD and of course BD. Player auto. starts with correct layer - SD or HD DVD.

Made on existing DVD/HD DVD lines - costs a nominal amount extra.

The TL Twin will be ready to use before the end of Q4 2007
No, I was looking at it that way Lee. I understand what you are saying. However, I don't know if it would only cost a nominal amount over current DVD prices? If that were the case, then why are current HD DVD/SD DVD combos $30 or more?

Plus, I think this just kind of creates a marketing problem. How do you get across to consumers that every DVD they buy now, has the ability to have an HD image IF YOU BUY AN HD DVD player? This message would have to go out to ALL consumers, and it would have to be guaranteed to be immediately digestible by ALL consumers. Otherwise people who haven't chosen a format might still buy a buy a Blu-ray player when they mistakenly think that all the HD DVD titles have vanished from the isle, and all they see is a Blu-ray section.

Plus, how would this separate us from that new Red Laser HD format? I think it will lead to confusion on that front.
__________________
Consumers did not choose the winner of the format war, the movie studios did, and now consumers are stuck with the decision.

Samsung HL-S6187W
Yamaha RX-V2700
Toshiba HD-XA2
RF/LF-Polk Audio RTi8
Center-Polk Audio CSi3
SL/SR-Polk Audio RTi6
LFE-Polk Audio P505 300watt self amplified.
Xbox 360


Administrator of Horns Up International
hornsupinternational.freeforums.org
El Despairado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 01:33 PM   #11
My Projector is High Def.
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Marlborough, MA
Age: 40
Posts: 7,089
Default

I think current HD DVD prices are priced where they are because they need to be in order for them to have any chance of turning a profit at the sales number they are selling at.

But take a DVD that may sell 10 million copies and charge $3 more per title and you now make an extra $30 million!
mshulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 01:38 PM   #12
Muscle Cars Forever!
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 37,693
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Despairado View Post
No, I was looking at it that way Lee. I understand what you are saying. However, I don't know if it would only cost a nominal amount over current DVD prices? If that were the case, then why are current HD DVD/SD DVD combos $30 or more?
The Combo is aimed at the HD DVD owner. The TL Twin will be aimed at the DVD owner. BIG difference. Price only has to be $2.00 higher. They are selling DVD's in the millions for each title.

Quote:
Plus, I think this just kind of creates a marketing problem. How do you get across to consumers that every DVD they buy now, has the ability to have an HD image IF YOU BUY AN HD DVD player? This message would have to go out to ALL consumers, and it would have to be guaranteed to be immediately digestible by ALL consumers. Otherwise people who haven't chosen a format might still buy a buy a Blu-ray player when they mistakenly think that all the HD DVD titles have vanished from the isle, and all they see is a Blu-ray section.
30 second blurb right after the FBI warning - can't skip over it - tells the DVD owner that all he needs is an HDTV and an HD DVD player. He will be building his HD library for a couple of bucks more. Very simple to do.

Quote:
Plus, how would this separate us from that new Red Laser HD format? I think it will lead to confusion on that front.
There are going to be 20 titles on HD-VMD. NONE of them are going to be Hollywood Blockbusters. They have NO Hollywood studios lined up.
Lee Stewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 01:46 PM   #13
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
cougardew's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 583
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshulman View Post
I think current HD DVD prices are priced where they are because they need to be in order for them to have any chance of turning a profit at the sales number they are selling at.

But take a DVD that may sell 10 million copies and charge $3 more per title and you now make an extra $30 million!
I agree the combos are more expensive because of the low volume. Everybody thinks it's OK to charge more for the TL Twin but I disagree. Charge the same as if it were a SD DVD and watch HD-DVD run away with this. Toshiba COULD eat the cost difference. I really think this could be the nail in BD's coffin.
cougardew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 01:49 PM   #14
HD DVD: Still the best!
 
El Despairado's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: North Dakota
Age: 37
Posts: 903
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougardew View Post
I agree the combos are more expensive because of the low volume. Everybody thinks it's OK to charge more for the TL Twin but I disagree. Charge the same as if it were a SD DVD and watch HD-DVD run away with this. Toshiba COULD eat the cost difference. I really think this could be the nail in BD's coffin.

As long as the mass market realizes HD DVD never went anywhere in the process, I agree with this. I still am concerned that if HD DVD's disappear from every store, it might lead to people purchasing Blu-ray by default, thinking that is the only HD format.
__________________
Consumers did not choose the winner of the format war, the movie studios did, and now consumers are stuck with the decision.

Samsung HL-S6187W
Yamaha RX-V2700
Toshiba HD-XA2
RF/LF-Polk Audio RTi8
Center-Polk Audio CSi3
SL/SR-Polk Audio RTi6
LFE-Polk Audio P505 300watt self amplified.
Xbox 360


Administrator of Horns Up International
hornsupinternational.freeforums.org
El Despairado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 01:58 PM   #15
Nikopol
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

I think a big

"Now also in HighDefinition"

sticker on these kind of twin "SD DVDs" or something like that should make it pretty clear, what ppl are holding in their hands. Plus marketing can do its magic as well.
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > High Definition DVDs & Movies > High Definition Media
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads to TL51 Should Work With ALL HD DVD Players!
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The New Nielsen Pie Chart Lee Stewart High Definition Media 4273 03-29-2011 05:49 AM
Blu-ray Isn't Getting Much Traction [Businessweek] Nikopol High Definition Media 68 05-12-2008 02:45 PM
Blu-ray is Dead!!! El Despairado High Definition Media 148 02-01-2008 03:11 PM
People still seem to be buying HDDVD players daiello High Definition Media 76 01-14-2008 03:58 AM
OPINION: One posters observations from CEDIA & TL HD DVD discs PFC5 High Definition Media 17 09-17-2007 04:53 PM
Don't feed the trolls. El Despairado High Definition Media 56 09-16-2007 03:40 PM
LOL, Glow ratted this forum out Enjoylife High Definition Media 99 09-13-2007 10:36 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:44 AM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2004 - 2008, High Def Forum