High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > High Definition DVDs & Movies > High Definition Media
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

High Definition Media A place to discuss BD, HD DVD and D-VHS and things that affect adoption of HD Media RSS - High Definition Media

V for Vendetta?

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2006, 11:34 PM   #391
Former Super Moderator - RIP
 
PFC5's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Mass
Posts: 38,295
Default

I am very big on individual freedoms myself, but one thing that needs to remembered about our "Justice" System. The system has always been modeled on the premise that they would rather let 10 guilty people go free than imprison ONE innocent person. I agree with this philosophy, but 9/11 changed the rules whether we like it or not, so adjustments had to be made. I would rather be able to live than continue to give foreigners the rights originally designed for actual citizens. Call me crazy.

Make no mistake, our freedoms are one by one being stripped from us anyway. Just look at all the rules about seatbelt laws, helmet laws, this law, and that law. Then look at all the cigarette taxes whereas I could buy US brands from a foreign country and pay for it to be shipped into this country and pay 1/3 to 1/4 the price. That tells you something about just how much they are taxed since smokers have become a minority.

The state of Massachusetts paid for and ran ads on tv that showed how smokers should be treated like lepers, and because they only used white males as the target no one batted an eye. They would not have dared to use someone who was a minority race as the target because they knew they would be sued. My state does this because they say smoking is unhealthy and costs the state more money for health insurance premiums.

They are now trying to target snacks and fast food places with a "snack tax". Guess why they are trying to do this. They say it costs them more money in health insurance premiums because of the unhealthy choices. The liberals in Mass know no bounds and THAT is why I am a conservative!

Where is the ACLU with the clear discrimination on targeted taxation of a minority (smokers), and those ads clearly targeting a new minority group?

They have been busy spending millions defending some guys right to have a web site that promotes and provides a method for adult males to hook up with minor boys. All under the guise of protecting free speech, even though those connections themselves are correctly illegal. Sorry but that is just plain wrong.

I think many people underestimate the power of the media to warp people's sense of reason. If you hear something long enough many people start believing it even if it defies common sense.

Remember that ad about the venician blinds where it shows a group of highly intelligent women discussing all the wonderful features of these new blinds? They then open the blinds and it shows some guy (husband of one of the women) having a bon fire on the grill, the kids all doing dangerous things without supervision that he was supposed to provide, and general chaos while the stupid man is in charge. I know it seems to be done as humor, but it also is making a statement about men in general also. follywood has an agenda that most people do not agree with but they are bombarding us daily with it buried inside "entertainment".
__________________
Denon AVR-887
Klipsch RP-5 Pwred Towers (mains) (525 watts peak each 12"Subs)
All Klipsch RC-25(ctr),(2)SS1(surr),(2)SS1(rearSurr)
Toshiba (2)HD-A20,PS3,BD35
For SACD/DVD-A Samsung HD-841
Panny 50pz80u plasma
SETTINGS
RCA HD50LPW162 50"DLP w/HD2+
SA 3250HD
47" LCD+Yamaha5790+HD-A1(bedroom)
Harmony 680 + (2) 670s (amazing remote/support)
Game room with Onkyo receiver & B&W Speakers
The_Cable_Game
Take the high ground and be happier
PSN: PFC5

Last edited by PFC5; 12-19-2006 at 11:44 PM.
PFC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 12:48 AM   #392
Censorship Sucks
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 434
Default

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
__________________
Censorship sucks!

Equipment:

50" Pioneer 50A5 Plasma
Toshiba HD-A1 - Firmware 2.0
Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD
XBOX 360
Pioneer Elite VSX-81TXV Receiver
Infinity Beta 50 (2) Fronts
Infinity Beta C360 (1) Center
Infinity Beta 50 (2) Backs
Infinity Beta ES250 (2) Surround Back
Infinity PS-12 (1) Sub

XBL Gamertag: KickassCartman
HDDVDSupport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 12:53 AM   #393
Censorship Sucks
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 434
Default

This thread should never have been resurrected. Of course, the kid who originally derailed the thread from its topic (a movie release long since past) is the one who brought it back.
__________________
Censorship sucks!

Equipment:

50" Pioneer 50A5 Plasma
Toshiba HD-A1 - Firmware 2.0
Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD
XBOX 360
Pioneer Elite VSX-81TXV Receiver
Infinity Beta 50 (2) Fronts
Infinity Beta C360 (1) Center
Infinity Beta 50 (2) Backs
Infinity Beta ES250 (2) Surround Back
Infinity PS-12 (1) Sub

XBL Gamertag: KickassCartman
HDDVDSupport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 01:13 AM   #394
1080 Optical Supporter
 
Type A's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Panama City, Fl
Age: 42
Posts: 2,723
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
I don't see how my age is relevent.
Normally it wouldnt be, and isnt for most. However, for you, it is very relevent. Why? Because you are the epidemy of thinking you know what you are talking about, even when you really dont! Am I saying you are without intelligence, or know nothing? No. What I am saying, and most who know you on this forum will agree, is that you dont know nearly as much as you seem to think you do! THATS why its relevent.
__________________
Mitsubishi HC3000U HD projector
Dual Optoma 106" screens
Harman Kardon AVR-7000 receiver
Bose 901 VI, 301 IV, VCS 10
Bose AM-6 Series III
Sony STR-DG600 receiver
JVC GR-HD1 HD camcorder
Xbox 360 Pro / PS3 40 Gig
HD DVD 0 / Blu Ray 15
Games 18 / Games 2
Gateway 901x HTPC (modified)
Sling Box Pro w/HD Connect Cable
Dish 211 receiver w/Absolute HD pack
HP Pavilion dv-6000 laptop (HTPC2GO)
Link-Theater Gallery - 100,000+ views
Link-55 Restoration Updated 6/21/08


Last edited by Type A; 12-20-2006 at 01:18 AM.
Type A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 01:18 AM   #395
Mr. Bill Belecheeeeek.
 
godson's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: philadelphia
Posts: 2,592
Default

Regurgetated thinking. This kid reads things elsewhere on the net or some other resource and simply repeats them in here as if there his own but when things you say start to seem so blatently plaugerized,its time to give up kid. O know at 19 your knowledge is vast and youve seen it all-done it all and you have the answers for everything...and thats ok,most teenagers are the same way,but sometimes ya just gotta know when to shut up and the grown folk talk...ya might learn something
__________________
Breakfast, shmreakfast. Look at the score, for Christ's sake. It's only the second period and I'm up 12 to 2. Breakfasts come and go, Renee, but Hartford, "the Whale," they only beat Vancouver once, maybe twice in a lifetime.

godson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 06:11 AM   #396
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
rmslives's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 314
Default

I'll end my thoughts on this thread by letting Jimmy Smith know that I did not mean to imply he was at a high school level.

Sorry!
rmslives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 06:35 AM   #397
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
GLOW's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 12,133
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmslives
I'll end my thoughts on this thread by letting Jimmy Smith know that I did not mean to imply he was at a high school level.

Sorry!
Hell of a first day, eh?
GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 06:57 AM   #398
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
rmslives's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 314
Default

Whoo hoo!
rmslives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 10:15 PM   #399
What's all this, then?...
 
BobY's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,197
Default

Don't think for a second those taxes are meant to discourage the behaviors being taxed. There is no evidence whatsoever to support the idea that punitively taxing activities that people want to do reduces their incidence.

It's strictly a revenue enhancement scheme masquerading as public service and even if the income is partially used to offset some of the negative effects of the taxed behavior, most of the money goes to the bureaucracy behind the effort.

P.S. That Ben Franklin--what a character! If he and the Founding Fathers had preferrred safety to liberty, there would be no United Sates of America--espousing liberty would have put them all under the death penalty for sedition and treason to the crown. We, however, are ungrateful and complacent.

Last edited by BobY; 12-20-2006 at 10:25 PM.
BobY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 11:11 PM   #400
Former Super Moderator - RIP
 
PFC5's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Mass
Posts: 38,295
Default

In Massachusetts it is quite obvious you are correct BobY.

When they added an extra $1.00 per pack tax on top of the other $2.00 per pack already on them they also eliminated the very small budget they had for smoking cessation education. One of my clients lost her job because of this, so not only did they increase the already unjust and discriminatory tax by 50% more but they cut the one program that could have given them ANY credibility for raising them to begin with. They also stopped the Treat Smokers Like Lepers ads once they got the new increase.

I imagine they will pull those ads back out when they attack smokers again. Also remember that Massachusetts was one of the states that got 100s of millions of dollars when they sued the tobacco industry, so they got money off both ends and still squandered it.

Whether you smoke or not this type of taxation should scare everyone, because they will sooner or later target something ANYONE buys. Just look at the new snack tax they have been pushing now. What is wrong is wrong whether it directly affects you now, it just might very soon.
__________________
Denon AVR-887
Klipsch RP-5 Pwred Towers (mains) (525 watts peak each 12"Subs)
All Klipsch RC-25(ctr),(2)SS1(surr),(2)SS1(rearSurr)
Toshiba (2)HD-A20,PS3,BD35
For SACD/DVD-A Samsung HD-841
Panny 50pz80u plasma
SETTINGS
RCA HD50LPW162 50"DLP w/HD2+
SA 3250HD
47" LCD+Yamaha5790+HD-A1(bedroom)
Harmony 680 + (2) 670s (amazing remote/support)
Game room with Onkyo receiver & B&W Speakers
The_Cable_Game
Take the high ground and be happier
PSN: PFC5

Last edited by PFC5; 12-20-2006 at 11:14 PM.
PFC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 11:24 PM   #401
HT Frontiersman
 
borromini's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Northern California
Posts: 10,309
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDDVDSupport
This thread should never have been resurrected. Of course, the kid who originally derailed the thread from its topic (a movie release long since past) is the one who brought it back.
He thinks of it as the gift that keeps giving.
__________________
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"
borromini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 11:27 PM   #402
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 6,839
Default

It's this entire tax the F#@K out of everything mentality that is really starting to piss me off. I would only be 75% as angry if the taxed money actually went for something productive, but the bureaucrats frickin waste it way. The good thing about us here though, is that we as a population tend to be fairly resistant to any forms of taxation when compared to the rest of the world. This is of course regional as it will also come down to where you live here as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFC5
In Massachusetts it is quite obvious you are correct BobY.

When they added an extra $1.00 per pack tax on top of the other $2.00 per pack already on them they also eliminated the very small budget they had for smoking cessation education. One of my clients lost her job because of this, so not only did they increase the already unjust and discriminatory tax by 50% more but they cut the one program that could have given them ANY credibility for raising them to begin with. They also stopped the Treat Smokers Like Lepers ads once they got the new increase.

I imagine they will pull those ads back out when they attack smokers again. Also remember that Massachusetts was one of the states that got 100s of millions of dollars when they sued the tobacco industry, so they got money off both ends and still squandered it.

Whether you smoke or not this type of taxation should scare everyone, because they will sooner or later target something ANYONE buys. Just look at the new snack tax they have been pushing now. What is wrong is wrong whether it directly affects you now, it just might very soon.
__________________
X360 Gamertag junehhan
Microsoft X360 and Xbox One
-Vizio BDP
-Bose Accoustimass 5.1 channel system

New Lebanon Ohio Rotary Club member
junehhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 11:27 PM   #403
Mr. Bill Belecheeeeek.
 
godson's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: philadelphia
Posts: 2,592
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by borromini
He thinks of it as the gift that keeps giving.
Like the "Jelly of the Month" membership.
__________________
Breakfast, shmreakfast. Look at the score, for Christ's sake. It's only the second period and I'm up 12 to 2. Breakfasts come and go, Renee, but Hartford, "the Whale," they only beat Vancouver once, maybe twice in a lifetime.

godson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 11:32 PM   #404
Censorship Sucks
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 434
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by godson
Like the "Jelly of the Month" membership.
Or crabs...
__________________
Censorship sucks!

Equipment:

50" Pioneer 50A5 Plasma
Toshiba HD-A1 - Firmware 2.0
Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD
XBOX 360
Pioneer Elite VSX-81TXV Receiver
Infinity Beta 50 (2) Fronts
Infinity Beta C360 (1) Center
Infinity Beta 50 (2) Backs
Infinity Beta ES250 (2) Surround Back
Infinity PS-12 (1) Sub

XBL Gamertag: KickassCartman
HDDVDSupport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 08:05 AM   #405
In Limbo
 
ragemaster68's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Ontario
Age: 30
Posts: 610
Default

Wow.. Just wow..
__________________
HT:
LG 60PG70
Winegard Squareshooter UHF Antenna
Denon AVR-1909
Polk CSi3 Centre
Technics SB-A16 Fronts
Aiwa SX-AV900 Rears
-------
Gaming:
Playstation 3 (Slim) - 250gb
PSN ID: Bausko
Xbox 360 Slim - 250gb
Gamertag: Bausko

-------
Wii is nothing more than a GameCube with a wireless Power Glove
-------
Latest Toy:
2000 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-9R
ragemaster68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > High Definition DVDs & Movies > High Definition Media
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads to V for Vendetta?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
List Your HDM Collection! For Purposes of Recommendations! kamspy High Definition Media 113 04-16-2008 05:28 AM
"V for Vendetta" not playing on Toshiba Qosmio G30 seyfert High Definition Media 30 12-18-2007 04:05 PM
Batman Begins and V for Vendetta on Blu Ray Hisgreatnessth High Definition Media 47 10-07-2007 02:01 PM
3 for the price of 2 HD DVD's at amazon.com IlovemesomeHD High Definition Media 68 09-01-2007 10:39 AM
List Of Exclusive Titles For HD DVD Lee Stewart High Definition Media 31 06-29-2007 09:13 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:25 PM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2004 - 2008, High Def Forum