High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > High Definition DVDs & Movies > High Definition Media
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

High Definition Media A place to discuss BD, HD DVD and D-VHS and things that affect adoption of HD Media RSS - High Definition Media

Sony Ships 4K Blu-ray Player - MSRP only $250

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2012, 10:48 PM   #76
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,730
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnus View Post
With the state sony is in, shouldn't they try to target J6P? A 4K BR player is a niche of a niche market.
The correct answer is.

They should target every market.

You want J6P and the niche market. For some manufacturers the premium market may be the only segment they can make money off of with off brands controlling the J6P market.
DonnyDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:00 PM   #77
Muscle Cars Forever!
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 37,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnyDC View Post
The correct answer is.

They should target every market.

You want J6P and the niche market. For some manufacturers the premium market may be the only segment they can make money off of with off brands controlling the J6P market.
LOL - 4K today has got to be the nichest market that ever existed.

And both the JVC and Sony 4k projectors, the only 4K available displays, both have 2K to 4K upscalers in them. Surely better then a $250 BD player.
Lee Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:04 PM   #78
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
Malanthius's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 831
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosty View Post
I liked the superior upconversion of HD DVD players during the format war and some Blu-ray players as well. I thought either HD format was better than buying a pure upconverting DVD player to play DVDs without having a true HD capable machine. Most HDTVs had as good of DVD upconversion as most upconverting DVD players so they are mostly a waste if they cost more from that standpoint.

I think the upconversion of this box may show itself best in streaming content, not upconverting DVDs.

I support and like Blu-ray because its the highest quality consumer format around and I like seeing more and more movies released on it over time and its growing sales year after year.

So you hate this box because it has "Blu-ray" on it and can play Blu-ray Discs and its from Sony the originator of the Blu-ray format? That seems odd.
I don't hate the player. (just the game) I just don't think it's needed and the best bang for your buck. I could buy 4 wifi Bluray players for the price. I also support and like Bluray. The difference between us is I can actually speak honestly about Blurays failures and I don't hype the format or pull any punches. You avoid mentioning the problems and act like there were no expectations for the format. We all know that is crazy and I think you are the only one that says that. Notice I didn't say think? Because I don't think you actually think that. I think you say that as some kind of defense for Bluray.

Besides you missed my point. You are hyping an upscaling player. It's not a true 4k player. Just like the upscale DVD players is not a true HD player. Yet you are hyping this fake 4k player and never did the same for the fake DVD/1080p players. Why? Because they were competing with Bluray players. Like I said, ironic.
Malanthius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:06 PM   #79
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,730
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
LOL - 4K today has got to be the nichest market that ever existed.

And both the JVC and Sony 4k projectors, the only 4K available displays, both have 2K to 4K upscalers in them. Surely better then a $250 BD player.
4K is just a byproduct of the dual core processor. If it can support it, why not. But the player uses it for more than just 4K.

The PS3 is also capable of 4K, and will most likely get it in a future firmware update.
http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/03/p...oving-picture/
DonnyDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:11 PM   #80
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
Malanthius's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 831
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnyDC View Post
The correct answer is.

They should target every market.

You want J6P and the niche market. For some manufacturers the premium market may be the only segment they can make money off of with off brands controlling the J6P market.
Haha! That's what got them into trouble. They were all over the place with many different models. And you are suggesting for them to waste money on a product this niche? And there is no 4k content.
Malanthius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:18 PM   #81
Muscle Cars Forever!
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 37,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnyDC View Post
4K is just a byproduct of the dual core processor. If it can support it, why not. But the player uses it for more than just 4K.
Are you aware that all BD players with an HDMI 1.3 or higher chip in them support Deep Color.

4K just happens to be the lastest "buzz word" - that's all

Quote:
The PS3 is also capable of 4K, and will most likely get it in a future firmware update.
http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/03/p...oving-picture/
That link says 4K stills - not 4K video:

PS3 will support 4K stills after a future update, moving pictures remain out of reach
Lee Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:25 PM   #82
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,730
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malanthius View Post
Haha! That's what got them into trouble. They were all over the place with many different models. And you are suggesting for them to waste money on a product this niche? And there is no 4k content.
Really thats why theyre in trouble?
You do realize that samsung and LG also employ this 'many different model' strategy.
They both have flagship blu ray players above $200. And lets not even talk about pioneers blu ray player.
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/.../10198702.aspx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart
That link says 4K stills - not 4K video:

PS3 will support 4K stills after a future update, moving pictures remain out of reach
Why support 4K at all?
Because they can.
DonnyDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:43 PM   #83
Muscle Cars Forever!
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 37,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnyDC View Post
Why support 4K at all?
Because they can.
So I guess you agree with Bruce . . . it's a marketing gimmick.
Lee Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:48 PM   #84
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,730
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
So I guess you agree with Bruce . . . it's a marketing gimmick.
Well yeah. The same with onkyo receivers. They upscale to 4K, most people dont need 4K, but you know what I betcha onkyo is still managing to sell units.
DonnyDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:53 PM   #85
Muscle Cars Forever!
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 37,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnyDC View Post
Well yeah. The same with onkyo receivers. They upscale to 4K, most people dont need 4K, but you know what I betcha onkyo is still managing to sell units.
So is Yamaha and Pioneer and their AVRs don't have a 4K upscaler in them.
Lee Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:56 PM   #86
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,730
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
So is Yamaha and Pioneer and their AVRs don't have a 4K upscaler in them.
Ok?
Im not advocating samsung and lg start putting in 4K upscalers.
DonnyDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:04 AM   #87
Muscle Cars Forever!
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 37,602
Default

With the lukewarm reception consumers have given 3DTV, CEMs are searching for; "the next big thing." Why they think it's going to be 4K is beyond me.
Lee Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:49 AM   #88
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,749
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malanthius View Post
I don't hate the player. (just the game) I just don't think it's needed and the best bang for your buck. I could buy 4 wifi Bluray players for the price. I also support and like Bluray. The difference between us is I can actually speak honestly about Blurays failures and I don't hype the format or pull any punches. You avoid mentioning the problems and act like there were no expectations for the format. We all know that is crazy and I think you are the only one that says that. Notice I didn't say think? Because I don't think you actually think that. I think you say that as some kind of defense for Bluray.

Besides you missed my point. You are hyping an upscaling player. It's not a true 4k player. Just like the upscale DVD players is not a true HD player. Yet you are hyping this fake 4k player and never did the same for the fake DVD/1080p players. Why? Because they were competing with Bluray players. Like I said, ironic.
Well said on each and every point!
PSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:24 AM   #89
-------------------------
 
dangerdoc's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 667
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
What is memory bandwidth?
Not only does the CPU have to be fast enough to process the data, the memory bandwidth has to be high enough to get that much data into the CPU and back out.
dangerdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:21 AM   #90
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
Malanthius's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 831
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
With the lukewarm reception consumers have given 3DTV, CEMs are searching for; "the next big thing." Why they think it's going to be 4K is beyond me.
Exactly Lee! Maybe they think 1080p wasn't enough? And that what will REALLY resell catalog is 4k!? Because that's the end goal. To get everyone to rebuy those movies and get back to the glory days of DVD. And Sony is a studio. Catalog is what is needed to achieve that. I know of one person here that doesn't believe that and has said catalog isnt that important. I think he is dead wrong.
Malanthius is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > High Definition DVDs & Movies > High Definition Media
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:01 PM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2004 - 2008, High Def Forum