High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > High Definition DVDs & Movies > High Definition Media
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

High Definition Media A place to discuss BD, HD DVD and D-VHS and things that affect adoption of HD Media RSS - High Definition Media

Sony Ships 4K Blu-ray Player - MSRP only $250

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2012, 01:46 PM   #61
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,730
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
Could be or it could be like Lee said where the only difference is H.265 versus H.264. I guess we will find out in the next couple years.
The jump to H.265 alone will require more computational power. Im not sure current players will be able to handle it considering the significant requirements H.264 needed over H.222(MPEG2)
DonnyDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:01 PM   #62
Muscle Cars Forever!
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 37,472
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnyDC View Post
The jump to H.265 alone will require more computational power. Im not sure current players will be able to handle it considering the significant requirements H.264 needed over H.222(MPEG2)
See previous post #60
Lee Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:10 PM   #63
Home Theater Enthusiast
 
Kosty's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,063
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malanthius View Post
Funny I don't recall you hyping/pushing those 1080p upscale DVD players. Probably because they didn't have the name "Bluray" on the box. Oh the irony.
I liked the superior upconversion of HD DVD players during the format war and some Blu-ray players as well. I thought either HD format was better than buying a pure upconverting DVD player to play DVDs without having a true HD capable machine. Most HDTVs had as good of DVD upconversion as most upconverting DVD players so they are mostly a waste if they cost more from that standpoint.

I think the upconversion of this box may show itself best in streaming content, not upconverting DVDs.

I support and like Blu-ray because its the highest quality consumer format around and I like seeing more and more movies released on it over time and its growing sales year after year.

So you hate this box because it has "Blu-ray" on it and can play Blu-ray Discs and its from Sony the originator of the Blu-ray format? That seems odd.
__________________
.
"A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

"I understand the concept of optimism. But I think with me what you get is a lack of cynicism." - Tom Hanks

"I don't think you lead by pessimism and cynicism. I think you lead by optimism and enthusiasm and energy." - Patricia Ireland
Kosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:16 PM   #64
Home Theater Enthusiast
 
Kosty's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,063
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malanthius View Post
Funny I don't recall you hyping/pushing those 1080p upscale DVD players. Probably because they didn't have the name "Bluray" on the box. Oh the irony.
A player that is upconverting from 1080p Blu-ray is going to produce a better image than upconverting from 480i60 DVD or other standard definition sources.

But without consumer level 4k displays being common and those that will be available having native embedded already I don't really see the utility of the 4K upconversion feature.

My point was this probably will be a fast well performing Blu-ray 3D player with pretty good standard definition content upconversion to 1080p with all the Internet streaming app goodies, so it might be a pretty good value at this $250 MSRP $200 street price point.
__________________
.
"A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

"I understand the concept of optimism. But I think with me what you get is a lack of cynicism." - Tom Hanks

"I don't think you lead by pessimism and cynicism. I think you lead by optimism and enthusiasm and energy." - Patricia Ireland
Kosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:52 PM   #65
-------------------------
 
dangerdoc's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 667
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
Could be or it could be like Lee said where the only difference is H.265 versus H.264. I guess we will find out in the next couple years.
The difference is a codec and a lot more pixels which will require a lot more CPU horsepower and memory bandwidth.

There were a lot of DVD players built with H.264 codec support. They did fine decoding SD files and even upscaling them to 1080p but they did not have the horsepower to decode HD files.

It's only been in the last few years that media player manufacturers have had access to reasonably priced SOCs that can handle 1080p reliably and 1080p has been part of the ATSC standard for years.
dangerdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:14 PM   #66
Muscle Cars Forever!
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 37,472
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerdoc View Post
The difference is a codec and a lot more pixels which will require a lot more CPU horsepower and memory bandwidth.

There were a lot of DVD players built with H.264 codec support. They did fine decoding SD files and even upscaling them to 1080p but they did not have the horsepower to decode HD files.

It's only been in the last few years that media player manufacturers have had access to reasonably priced SOCs that can handle 1080p reliably and 1080p has been part of the ATSC standard for years.
What is memory bandwidth?
Lee Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:41 PM   #67
Steelbook Addict
 
chipvideo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 678
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosty View Post
A player that is upconverting from 1080p Blu-ray is going to produce a better image than upconverting from 480i60 DVD or other standard definition sources.

But without consumer level 4k displays being common and those that will be available having native embedded already I don't really see the utility of the 4K upconversion feature.

My point was this probably will be a fast well performing Blu-ray 3D player with pretty good standard definition content upconversion to 1080p with all the Internet streaming app goodies, so it might be a pretty good value at this $250 MSRP $200 street price point.
I don't see this as catching on at all with joesixpack. I think they are already having a hard time giving $80 blu-ray players a good value. The numbers after 6 years on the market speak for themselves.
chipvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:43 PM   #68
Steelbook Addict
 
chipvideo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 678
Default

This product is fail out the gate. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see this. Whoever thought this was a good business plan should be fired at Sony. I bet whoever decision it was ends up on the chopping block.
chipvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:46 PM   #69
Steelbook Addict
 
chipvideo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 678
Default

The only reason why upconversion worked with dvd was because we went from using analog signal to a hdmi digital signal. That was the biggest improvement in those players. Everyone is already using HDMI with there blu ray setups now so there is no benefit to upconversion. The scaler in that 4k tv is gonna have one heck of a lot better scaler than the one in that POS sony upconverter.

When I got my sony dvd upconverter the best settings going out to the tv were 480i. The tv scaled it better than the player. I expect nothing different here.
chipvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:12 PM   #70
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,730
Default

Ive never seen an anti sony viral marketer before. Oh wait I have(Super XP)
DonnyDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:18 PM   #71
Muscle Cars Forever!
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 37,472
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnyDC View Post
Ive never seen an anti sony viral marketer before. Oh wait I have(Super XP)
What about Stew4HD . . .

"Die Sony Die!"

Lee Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:03 PM   #72
Muscle Cars Forever!
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 37,472
Default

This may be what is inside this Sony BD player . . .

Dual-Core ARM Cortex-A9 MPCore Processor (SoC)

http://www.altera.com/devices/proces...cortex-a9.html


4K Video Upscaling Format Conversion

Quote:
Altera’s 4K Video Upscaling Format Conversion reference design performs upscaling up to 4K resolutions by taking in a 1080p video format over a 3G-SDI interface, upscaling it to 4K x 2K resolution, and sending the output over four 3G-SDI interfaces. You can leverage this reference design to help you jump start your system development.
http://www.altera.com/support/refdes...upscaling.html
Lee Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:15 PM   #73
Home Theater Enthusiast
 
Kosty's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,063
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipvideo View Post
I don't see this as catching on at all with joesixpack. I think they are already having a hard time giving $80 blu-ray players a good value. The numbers after 6 years on the market speak for themselves.
Who says a $250 player with bells and whistles is aimed at J6P?
__________________
.
"A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

"I understand the concept of optimism. But I think with me what you get is a lack of cynicism." - Tom Hanks

"I don't think you lead by pessimism and cynicism. I think you lead by optimism and enthusiasm and energy." - Patricia Ireland
Kosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:21 PM   #74
The Bringer of Balance
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 11,350
Default

With the state sony is in, shouldn't they try to target J6P? A 4K BR player is a niche of a niche market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosty View Post
Who says a $250 player with bells and whistles is aimed at J6P?
__________________
Panasonic P55 ST30
Kenwood VR-616
Comcast DCT6412 III
XBox 360
GamerTag Sec0nd2N0n3
Cygnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:44 PM   #75
Steelbook Addict
 
chipvideo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 678
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosty View Post
Who says a $250 player with bells and whistles is aimed at J6P?
If it isn't then the person who greenlit this for Sony should be canned. I don't expect them to even recoup their R&D from it.
chipvideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > High Definition DVDs & Movies > High Definition Media
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:24 PM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright ©2004 - 2008, High Def Forum