High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > High Definition DVDs & Movies > High Definition Media
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

High Definition Media A place to discuss BD, HD DVD and D-VHS and things that affect adoption of HD Media RSS - High Definition Media

Warner parties likes it's 2006 and brings back Combo ("Flipper") Discs!

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2012, 01:13 PM   #1
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
GizmoDVD's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,081
Thumbs down Warner parties likes it's 2006 and brings back Combo ("Flipper") Discs!

Once again reminding all of us how HD DVD was a format from the future, Warner is now doing Combo discs for New Blu-ray releases!

Enjoy Harold and Kumar as a Combo title! Blu-ray on one side and DVD on the other! As a bonus, the Extended Cut has revolutionary Dolby Digital 5.1 Audio track!

What did Warner do this? Probably to screw over the rental market for places like Redbox and Blockbuster who are forced to buy retail copies because Warner is to greedy and wants a 8 week rental delay window.

Not sure how this will stop them (guess they will buy more copies!).
GizmoDVD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:17 PM   #2
Super Moderator
 
bruceames's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Novato, CA
Posts: 16,428
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
Once again reminding all of us how HD DVD was a format from the future, Warner is now doing Combo discs for New Blu-ray releases!

Enjoy Harold and Kumar as a Combo title! Blu-ray on one side and DVD on the other! As a bonus, the Extended Cut has revolutionary Dolby Digital 5.1 Audio track!

What did Warner do this? Probably to screw over the rental market for places like Redbox and Blockbuster who are forced to buy retail copies because Warner is to greedy and wants a 8 week rental delay window.

Not sure how this will stop them (guess they will buy more copies!).
Wow, this is news to me. Is that the first WB flipper combo on Blu-ray? I remember Universal tried it on some catalogs a few years ago, but they haven't done it since (that I recall).

I see this as a good and necessary move to keep Redbox from getting a 2 for 1 on the street purchases and to stop the overcirculation of copies on OD.
bruceames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:19 PM   #3
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,749
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
Once again reminding all of us how HD DVD was a format from the future, Warner is now doing Combo discs for New Blu-ray releases!

Enjoy Harold and Kumar as a Combo title! Blu-ray on one side and DVD on the other! As a bonus, the Extended Cut has revolutionary Dolby Digital 5.1 Audio track!

What did Warner do this? Probably to screw over the rental market for places like Redbox and Blockbuster who are forced to buy retail copies because Warner is to greedy and wants a 8 week rental delay window.

Not sure how this will stop them (guess they will buy more copies!).
They kind of had to do this.

Blu-ray needs DVD in the box to sell (even with combos, BD barely grew 20% in 2011). And having the DVD in the box hurts DVD sales as those discs get redistributed/sold.

It will be interesting to see if DVD gets more of a boost then BD gets dinged.
PSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:20 PM   #4
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,821
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
Once again reminding all of us how HD DVD was a format from the future, Warner is now doing Combo discs for New Blu-ray releases!

Enjoy Harold and Kumar as a Combo title! Blu-ray on one side and DVD on the other! As a bonus, the Extended Cut has revolutionary Dolby Digital 5.1 Audio track!

What did Warner do this? Probably to screw over the rental market for places like Redbox and Blockbuster who are forced to buy retail copies because Warner is to greedy and wants a 8 week rental delay window.

Not sure how this will stop them (guess they will buy more copies!).
Do you have a link to where you learned this? Interested in the DD part.
leevitalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:24 PM   #5
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
GizmoDVD's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,081
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
Wow, this is news to me. Is that the first WB flipper combo on Blu-ray? I remember Universal tried it on some catalogs a few years ago, but they haven't done it since (that I recall).

I see this as a good and necessary move to keep Redbox from getting a 2 for 1 on the street purchases and to stop the overcirculation of copies on OD.
For Warner, yes. Universal and Summit have dabbled in Combo's for both New Releases (store exclusives too!) and some Catalog, but Warner looks to be making this a permanent change.

What used to be three discs (BD, DVD, DC) is now One Disc (BD/DVD) and a Code.

This move will help retailers once they start shrinking OD in coming weeks. They will simply need one SKU and there is little confusion. Best Buys recent firesale helped move a lot of SKUs (with little to no change in BD Revenue week to week).

But we all know this is to attack Redbox/Netflix, but savvy consumers will just torrent what they want. It just means I buy less if I can't sell off the DVD. Oh well.
GizmoDVD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:25 PM   #6
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
GizmoDVD's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,081
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by leevitalone View Post
Do you have a link to where you learned this? Interested in the DD part.
Err, I have this title. But you can check out the "official" Blu-ray page where they are discussing it (among other places). The 3D Set suffers the same fate (except it has it's own 3D Disc - of course it's only the Theatrical version since Warner is cheap as shit).
GizmoDVD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:38 PM   #7
Home Theater Enthusiast
 
Kosty's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,063
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSound View Post
They kind of had to do this.

Blu-ray needs DVD in the box to sell (even with combos, BD barely grew 20% in 2011). And having the DVD in the box hurts DVD sales as those discs get redistributed/sold.

It will be interesting to see if DVD gets more of a boost then BD gets dinged.
Its always interesting on how you can ignore that the box office strength was down -8.7% or over $800 M less in 2011 compared to the strength of 2010 releases.
Kosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:39 PM   #8
Home Theater Enthusiast
 
Kosty's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,063
Default

It would seem that the genre of the movie here as a comedy may also have something to do with the decision to use this form factor for the release.
Kosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:40 PM   #9
Muscle Cars Forever!
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 37,714
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosty View Post
Its always interesting on how you can ignore that the box office strength was down -8.7% or over $800 M less in 2011 compared to the strength of 2010 releases.
LOL - amazing how you ignore the fact that almost all new BD releases are combo releases which BTW has nothing to do with BO strength and everything to do with the fact that consumers just weren't buying BD only new releases in the numbers the studios were happy with.
Lee Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:41 PM   #10
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
GizmoDVD's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,081
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosty View Post
It would seem that the genre of the movie here as a comedy may also have something to do with the decision to use this form factor for the release.
Why would Comedy mean a Combo disc? Please explain the logic.
GizmoDVD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:42 PM   #11
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
GizmoDVD's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,081
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
LOL - amazing how you ignore the fact that almost all new BD releases are combo releases which BTW has nothing to do with BO strength and everything to do with the fact that consumers just weren't buying BD only new releases in the numbers the studios were happy with.
Exactly. Blu-ray failed to sell by itself so it had to be packed with DVDs and given other incentives (early releases, exclusive features, coupons) just to sell.
GizmoDVD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:59 PM   #12
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,749
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosty View Post
Its always interesting on how you can ignore that the box office strength was down -8.7% or over $800 M less in 2011 compared to the strength of 2010 releases.
What is there to ignore?

The results are the results. You not liking them does not change them.


BD was up a very weak < 20% in 2011, despite some extraordinary opportunities including the release of the crown jewel series for Home Video (Star Wars) and an exclusive BD-only sell through window for a well established summer blockbuster sequel.
PSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:01 PM   #13
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
GizmoDVD's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,081
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSound View Post
What is there to ignore?

The results are the results. You not liking them does not change them.


BD was up a very weak < 20% in 2011, despite some extraordinary opportunities including the release of the crown jewel series for Home Video (Star Wars) and an exclusive BD-only sell through window for a well established summer blockbuster sequel.
You forgot that several other titles were DVD+BD in a DVD Case and were counted towards Blu-ray revenue.

Blu-ray was pretty much given every chance this year and was only up a pathetic 20%....and that's from an already pathetic 1.8ish billion. 20% is not even that big of an increase, but an increase from such a low number is even worse!

But hey, Jaws and ET will be huuuuuuuuuuge sellers this year.
GizmoDVD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:06 PM   #14
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 509
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
Once again reminding all of us how HD DVD was a format from the future, Warner is now doing Combo discs for New Blu-ray releases!

Enjoy Harold and Kumar as a Combo title! Blu-ray on one side and DVD on the other! As a bonus, the Extended Cut has revolutionary Dolby Digital 5.1 Audio track!

What did Warner do this? Probably to screw over the rental market for places like Redbox and Blockbuster who are forced to buy retail copies because Warner is to greedy and wants a 8 week rental delay window.

Not sure how this will stop them (guess they will buy more copies!).
Yeah but HD DVD is dead. It failed to make more money than bluray, it failed to even survive. It was aborted, because it was unwanted.

So, in summary, it was a true failure according to every metric of failure I read here.
bombsnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:28 PM   #15
Muscle Cars Forever!
 
Lee Stewart's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 37,714
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombsnizzle View Post
Yeah but HD DVD is dead. It failed to make more money than bluray, it failed to even survive. It was aborted, because it was unwanted.

So, in summary, it was a true failure according to every metric of failure I read here.
You missed the point. HD DVD introduced the HDM/DVD flipper; two different disc formats, one disc.

But hey - let's go with your post . . . BD is now using a disc type from a failed disc format - should be the key to success
Lee Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > High Definition DVDs & Movies > High Definition Media
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:52 AM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2004 - 2008, High Def Forum