High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > General Chit Chat > The High Definition Lounge
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

The High Definition Lounge Can't find a proper forum for your questions, comments, reviews, etc.? Post them here! RSS - The High Definition Lounge

Slow Channel Changes

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2007, 12:06 PM   #1
My plasma is High Def.
 

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 6
Default Slow Channel Changes

I'm completely new to HD so bear with me if this is a dumb question. I have a Mitsubishi LT-46144 LCD TV connected via HDMI to a Pace TDC775D Cable Box/DVR. My cable provider is Suddenlink. Everything works fine except it's very slow changing channels if you're going from one type of signal to another (for example 720p to 1080i). It takes about 5-6 seconds before the new channel is displayed. Changing channels where both channels are the same type (for example both 1080i) is normal speed. In both cases the TV momentarily displays a small box that says Cable Box and the signal type when the channel changes.

Is this normal or is there something wrong? If something wrong, is it the TV or the cable box?

thanks for any advice you can offer,
Mike
Maike13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 12:15 PM   #2
Football in HD, mmm good!
 
deadhead68's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Crystal Lake, IL
Posts: 2,923
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maike13 View Post
I'm completely new to HD so bear with me if this is a dumb question. I have a Mitsubishi LT-46144 LCD TV connected via HDMI to a Pace TDC775D Cable Box/DVR. My cable provider is Suddenlink. Everything works fine except it's very slow changing channels if you're going from one type of signal to another (for example 720p to 1080i). It takes about 5-6 seconds before the new channel is displayed. Changing channels where both channels are the same type (for example both 1080i) is normal speed. In both cases the TV momentarily displays a small box that says Cable Box and the signal type when the channel changes.

Is this normal or is there something wrong? If something wrong, is it the TV or the cable box?

thanks for any advice you can offer,
Mike
No, nothing is wrong. You must have the cable box set to "pass-through". Which sends the signal in it's original format. The delay is the TV processing the different format. You could go into the setup of your STB and set it for 720p or 1080i. This will eliminate the delay when switching channels.

DeadHead68
__________________
Panasonic TC-P46X3
HR24-500
Sony STR-DG810 Receiver
Sony BDP-S360
Denon SYS-76HT Speaker System
Harmony 650
deadhead68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 12:25 PM   #3
My plasma is High Def.
 

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadhead68 View Post
No, nothing is wrong. You must have the cable box set to "pass-through". Which sends the signal in it's original format. The delay is the TV processing the different format. You could go into the setup of your STB and set it for 720p or 1080i. This will eliminate the delay when switching channels.

DeadHead68
Thanks. That sounds re-assuring. I'll check it this evening and see if I can figure out how to turn off the "pass-through".
Maike13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 01:01 PM   #4
My plasma is High Def.
 

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadhead68 View Post
No, nothing is wrong. You must have the cable box set to "pass-through". Which sends the signal in it's original format. The delay is the TV processing the different format. You could go into the setup of your STB and set it for 720p or 1080i. This will eliminate the delay when switching channels.

DeadHead68
I was taking a quick look at my STB Manual on-line and the only thing I can see to change is what it calls "TV Display Capability" It lists 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i and you can turn each of these on or off. The default is to have 1080i, 480p and 480i on, and 720p off. If I follow your post, it sounds like I should turn all these off, except 1080i?

Mike
Maike13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 02:58 PM   #5
Football in HD, mmm good!
 
deadhead68's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Crystal Lake, IL
Posts: 2,923
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maike13 View Post
I was taking a quick look at my STB Manual on-line and the only thing I can see to change is what it calls "TV Display Capability" It lists 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i and you can turn each of these on or off. The default is to have 1080i, 480p and 480i on, and 720p off. If I follow your post, it sounds like I should turn all these off, except 1080i?

Mike
I believe you will need to leave one of the 480's on, either i or p. Try them both, turn to an SD channel and see which one looks best.

DeadHead68
__________________
Panasonic TC-P46X3
HR24-500
Sony STR-DG810 Receiver
Sony BDP-S360
Denon SYS-76HT Speaker System
Harmony 650
deadhead68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 07:47 AM   #6
Very Grizzled Vet of 1 yr
 
paulc's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,764
Default

In fact, the specific TV really is the issue. Some re-sync far quicker than others. With pass-through enabled, a Samsung (4092) will switch channels far quicker than a Sony (XBR1).
paulc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:26 AM   #7
What's all this, then?...
 
BobY's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,197
Default

The most satisfactory results will probably be achieved using Component Video and your STB set to pass-through whatever resolution it receives.

There should be no channel delay and you will see the HD channels as they were intended--you will not be sacrificing the superior motion response of 720p/60 broadcasts by converting them to 1080i/30 and you will not be sacrificing the resolution of 1080i/30 broadcasts by converting them to 720p.

I'd be willing to bet the scaler in your display is much better than the scaler in the STB--most STB's have crummy scalers to keep down the cost, since the Cable/SAT company ends up subsidizing the cost.
BobY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 01:31 PM   #8
My plasma is High Def.
 

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobY View Post
The most satisfactory results will probably be achieved using Component Video and your STB set to pass-through whatever resolution it receives.

There should be no channel delay and you will see the HD channels as they were intended--you will not be sacrificing the superior motion response of 720p/60 broadcasts by converting them to 1080i/30 and you will not be sacrificing the resolution of 1080i/30 broadcasts by converting them to 720p.

I'd be willing to bet the scaler in your display is much better than the scaler in the STB--most STB's have crummy scalers to keep down the cost, since the Cable/SAT company ends up subsidizing the cost.
I'm not quite sure how to do this. My STB has an RF bypass switch. Is this what you mean by pass-through? I don't have the option of using component video though. When switched it feeds the cable input to the STB directly to the TV output on the box without going through the rest of the STB. But the TV output is a coax connection. The TV has an Antenna 1 input (also coax) that says it can receive "digital and analog over-the-air channels from a VHF/UHF antenna, or a non-scrambled digital/analog cable source". So if I connect a coax cable between the STB TV output and the TV Antenna 1 input, it would be equivalent to connecting a coax cable directly from the cable wall socket into the TV without using the STB at all. Will this work? The only downside being that I can't get scrambled signals (such as HBO) in this mode, but I can always switch off the RF bypass and switch the TV to the STB input, if I want to watch a scrambled channel. Do I have any of this correct :-) ?

thanks,
Mike
Maike13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 02:24 PM   #9
Football in HD, mmm good!
 
deadhead68's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Crystal Lake, IL
Posts: 2,923
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maike13 View Post
I'm not quite sure how to do this. My STB has an RF bypass switch. Is this what you mean by pass-through? I don't have the option of using component video though. When switched it feeds the cable input to the STB directly to the TV output on the box without going through the rest of the STB. But the TV output is a coax connection. The TV has an Antenna 1 input (also coax) that says it can receive "digital and analog over-the-air channels from a VHF/UHF antenna, or a non-scrambled digital/analog cable source". So if I connect a coax cable between the STB TV output and the TV Antenna 1 input, it would be equivalent to connecting a coax cable directly from the cable wall socket into the TV without using the STB at all. Will this work? The only downside being that I can't get scrambled signals (such as HBO) in this mode, but I can always switch off the RF bypass and switch the TV to the STB input, if I want to watch a scrambled channel. Do I have any of this correct :-) ?

thanks,
Mike
I think you're doing something wrong. Check out page 2 of this manual. Follow the directions on how to get to "TV Display Capability". Then select the native resolution of your TV, either 1080i or 720p. Don't use the bypass.

http://www.gci.com/forhome/cable/pacetdc775.pdf

DeadHead68
__________________
Panasonic TC-P46X3
HR24-500
Sony STR-DG810 Receiver
Sony BDP-S360
Denon SYS-76HT Speaker System
Harmony 650
deadhead68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 02:25 PM   #10
What's all this, then?...
 
BobY's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,197
Default

I'm a bit confused. You said you had the cable box hooked to your display using HDMI--this is likely where the problem is as the HDMI port reconfigures for the different resolutions.

You can set the cable box to scale everything to 1080i, which will eliminate the problem, but will compromise the quality of 720p broadcasts.

Are you sure your cable box doesn't have Component Video outputs?
BobY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 01:18 PM   #11
My plasma is High Def.
 

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobY View Post
I'm a bit confused. You said you had the cable box hooked to your display using HDMI--this is likely where the problem is as the HDMI port reconfigures for the different resolutions.

You can set the cable box to scale everything to 1080i, which will eliminate the problem, but will compromise the quality of 720p broadcasts.

Are you sure your cable box doesn't have Component Video outputs?
Sorry for the delay replying. Away from civilization for a few days. Yes it does have component video outputs. Everyone told us we should use the HDMI :-) I'll try the component video and see if that improves the channel changing speed.

Mike
Maike13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 01:27 PM   #12
My plasma is High Def.
 

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadhead68 View Post
I think you're doing something wrong. Check out page 2 of this manual. Follow the directions on how to get to "TV Display Capability". Then select the native resolution of your TV, either 1080i or 720p. Don't use the bypass.

http://www.gci.com/forhome/cable/pacetdc775.pdf

DeadHead68
Thanks for the reply. Sorry it took a while to get back to you but I was on vacation without any internet. I tried setting "TV Display Capability" to 1080i but it didn't seem to help. The TV's actually 1080p. Could this be the problem? I'm going to try the Component Video connections per BobY's suggestion and see if that helps any.

Mike
Maike13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > General Chit Chat > The High Definition Lounge
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads to Slow Channel Changes
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Comcast HD - Slow Changing Channels Chrys Cable Providers 7 10-17-2009 12:39 AM
HR22 DVR extremely slow tonight (May 28th) isszguy DirecTV Forum 14 06-02-2009 07:01 AM
HR21 Very Slow bigtimmo DirecTV Forum 16 03-18-2009 12:09 AM
H20/HDMI - Slow Channel Changes cjhsa DirecTV Forum 7 10-04-2007 06:57 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:35 PM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2004 - 2008, High Def Forum