High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > High Definition Cameras & Camcorders > High Definition Cameras & High Definition Camcorders
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

High Definition Cameras & High Definition Camcorders Discuss the latest High Definition Cameras and HD Camcorders including the new HDV Camcorder. Ask questions, post reviews, etc. RSS - High Definition Cameras & High Definition Camcorders

Aiptek Action HD camcorder

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2008, 01:57 PM   #16
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Alamogordo, NM
Age: 60
Posts: 456
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichael View Post
"Beware class 6 SD cards don't work with this camcorder."

I have an A-Data 8GB class 6 card that seems to work. In what way might it not work?

I could record okay, but I had major problems getting the video into my computer. I did get a clip in once after several tries, but the other times, it just crashed the program(the software that came with it). I went to Aiptek's site, and they said the Action HD "supports up to a class 4 card.
This is copied from their site under FAQ:




"The camera can support an 8 Gigabyte SDHC up to Class 4 which will provide up to 4 hours of HD video. It may support up to a 32GB card, once they are made available by the major brands. We suggest using the SD Card brands Dane Elec. or San Disk. Mini SD and/or adaptor cards are not compatible"


I'm running XP on a duo core 3.0, 4 gb ram, and 8500gt 512mb, so I can't believe it's my PC.

Last edited by dahur; 05-16-2008 at 02:02 PM.
dahur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 01:59 PM   #17
What is HD?
 

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2
Default Questions about Aiptek

I have the previous generation Go-HD and have been very happy with it for recording family outings, etc. I was thinking about buying the Action-HD or the A-HD+ but I cannot find the answer to a few questions and was wondering if anyone could help. The website says that it shoots 1440x1080 (16:9) at 30 fps. Since 1440x1080 is not 16:9, can I assume that it captures at 4:3 aspect ratio and then "distorts" the image to achieve the wide aspect ratio? Also, in 720p mode it can shoot at 60 fps. Does this mean at standard playback, everything is supposed to be in slow-motion. The example used above (at forums.steves.digicams ) is supposed to have been shot at 60fps but does not appear to be in slow-motion. The website says that 60fps is great for sports which I assumed meant that it played back at half-normal speed. Any thoughts? I appreciate any input.
tlellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 03:10 PM   #18
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 103
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlellis View Post
I have the previous generation Go-HD and have been very happy with it for recording family outings, etc. I was thinking about buying the Action-HD or the A-HD+ but I cannot find the answer to a few questions and was wondering if anyone could help. The website says that it shoots 1440x1080 (16:9) at 30 fps. Since 1440x1080 is not 16:9, can I assume that it captures at 4:3 aspect ratio and then "distorts" the image to achieve the wide aspect ratio? Also, in 720p mode it can shoot at 60 fps. Does this mean at standard playback, everything is supposed to be in slow-motion. The example used above (at forums.steves.digicams ) is supposed to have been shot at 60fps but does not appear to be in slow-motion. The website says that 60fps is great for sports which I assumed meant that it played back at half-normal speed. Any thoughts? I appreciate any input.
No I think its just using an anamorphic ratio, you can read wikipedia for info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anamorphic basically there is compression on the 1440 lines, I think its 1.33 x 1440 so it wil still come out as 16x9 when you play it back. I know my HV20 HD camcorder is the same way, it uses dv tape and this is the spec that the dv committee put into effect. So basically for my camera the picture comes in at 1920x1080 but is put on tape at 1440. I had the apteck HD for a few days and it wasn't 4x3.

60p should look more smooth compared to 30fps because there are more frames per given second, thats why they say it best for sports, it won't look as choppy as 30 would. Film is done in 24 frames per second and looks more choppy and more unnatural than 60. In order to get slow motion you'd have to have probably more than 150 frames per second. I'm not to sure on the exact number but I know some slow motion stuff is 2000 fps. IF you think of those old strobe lights where you can adjust the speed its kinda the same effect. If you slow it down with the light on some fanblades, they would look choppy and just unsmooth, and when you speed it up the fanblades become more smooth and you start to see less of the actual fan blade as they all start to blend together with the faster light flashes. I hope that makes sense.
Why do they have different frame rates is simply for different tastes and applications. People like the film look of 24 fps, where some people like the look of 60. I believe the standard for tv is 30 fps, thus the reason for 3:2 pulldown because the tv must convert those 24 frames into 30, so they do this by adding fields. Those new 120 hertz tvs are intended to give an equal number of frames for 24 framed movies because 120 divided by 24 is 5 and equal so no pulldown is needed.
djames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 07:01 PM   #19
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Alamogordo, NM
Age: 60
Posts: 456
Default

[quote=tlellis;632539]I have the previous generation Go-HD and have been very happy with it for recording family outings, etc. I was thinking about buying the Action-HD or the A-HD+ but I cannot find the answer to a few questions and was wondering if anyone could help. The website says that it shoots 1440x1080 (16:9) at 30 fps. Since 1440x1080 is not 16:9, can I assume that it captures at 4:3 aspect ratio and then "distorts" the image to achieve the wide aspect ratio?


The video I get with my Action HD comes out at 16:9, but it doesn't look distorted at all. It looks perfectly natural.
I keep it at the 720/60 fps, and am more than happy with it.
That's right about the 60 fps being better for fast moving shots.
Twice as many frames per second cuts down on the artifacts you might get at 30 fps.
dahur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:14 PM   #20
My Projector is High Def.
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Marlborough, MA
Age: 40
Posts: 7,089
Default

Not to put down the Aiptek unit, but if waiting is an option and spending more is an option, I think its just best to get a true 1920x1080 camcorder.

Keep in mind I had my last camcorder for 10 years and I'm planning on keeping my new Canon HF-10 for as long as possible. I just think camcorders are long time purchases that aren't replaced frequently, so you might as well get the best possible.

To that same regard, I can't see why anyone would buy an SD camcorder these days
mshulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:13 PM   #21
What is HD?
 

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2
Default HD capture and editing

Spending more for a 1920 x 1080 is definitely an option that I have considered. I would be willing to pay for one today except for all of the horror stories I have heard about getting the content from this new generation of camcorders onto a computer and finalized. The beauty of the Aiptek is that I can record a bunch of of short shots and then transfer them to my Mac by inserting the SD card into a card reader. I then concatenate the .mov files using a cool app called Add Movie and it is ready to go as one movie and to burn to DVD. No conversion to an intermediate codec for editing and no need to render the movie which I have always found takes too long and results in quality loss. Every review of other HD camcorders that I have read (and my past experience using older camcorders) involves a process whereby the camcorder must be connected by USB and the content must be transferred and converted to an intermediate codec and then rendered into the final product in a very time-consuming process. While the build quality of the Aiptek is cheap, it is easy to use, shoots very good (though not excellent) video, and I can carry it in my pocket. My only gripe is no OIS. I have not found any other HD camcorder that records in a .mov container. They all seem to be in some obscure or even proprietary container (e.g. MTS). I think the new Xacti records in a .mp4 container but I am not sure.

Thanks everyone for all the info. (that feedback about anamorphic capture I think was right on the mark)
tlellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:34 PM   #22
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 103
Default

I will say for the price range this apteck is great. When I compare it to some of those SD camcorders, this one isn't bad. I think they could fix some of the major problems like no Image stabilization, but what can you expect for such a low price.
djames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 04:33 AM   #23
LED TV's look awesome
 
Joe Las Vegas's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Age: 45
Posts: 1,427
Default

Here it is w/acc.: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=9208238
I first saw it on Endgaget and I was suprised by the value, I'm seriously thinking about getting one, only thing I'm afraid of is something better for the same price coming out soon, you know how it is with Hi-tech stuff.
They seem to have a new brand of memory cards too, I checked last week and I'm pretty sure it was a different brand.
Anyway, for those that I have it, have you tried to save video clips on Photobucket? I'm asking because when I film at 30fps with my 7mp camera and go to upload the clip on Photobucket, it won't let me upload anything longer than a minute, so that sucks.
__________________
Check out my ride
Joe Las Vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 10:52 AM   #24
The Bringer of Balance
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 11,350
Default

Interesting..I always thought aiptek made cheap stuff. I will have to try it out the next time I am at walmart. Too bad it doesn't have image stabilization and better zoom.
__________________
Panasonic P55 ST30
Kenwood VR-616
Comcast DCT6412 III
XBox 360
GamerTag Sec0nd2N0n3
Cygnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 11:46 AM   #25
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Alamogordo, NM
Age: 60
Posts: 456
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnus View Post
Interesting..I always thought aiptek made cheap stuff. I will have to try it out the next time I am at walmart. Too bad it doesn't have image stabilization and better zoom.

It is made out of a lot of plastic, and you have to hold your hand very still. I guess you need to see the video it takes and judge for yourself. We are more than pleased with it, and if it craps out, well for $200, it's not a huge loss. I carry it in my pocket everywhere I go.
dahur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 04:03 PM   #26
My Projector is High Def.
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Marlborough, MA
Age: 40
Posts: 7,089
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlellis View Post
Every review of other HD camcorders that I have read (and my past experience using older camcorders) involves a process whereby the camcorder must be connected by USB and the content must be transferred and converted to an intermediate codec and then rendered into the final product in a very time-consuming process.
This isn't true. There are a number of programs that will deal with AVCHD files. Its not the horror story you recall.
mshulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 09:09 PM   #27
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 103
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnus View Post
Interesting..I always thought aiptek made cheap stuff. I will have to try it out the next time I am at walmart. Too bad it doesn't have image stabilization and better zoom.
yes it is to bad, but I guess thats why its cheaper. I couldn't look past either of these missing features because the zoom is very audiable on the video and is very slow and the loss of IS made it so that I couldn't take a decent film. You might be able to work better with it, I couldn't keep my hands steady enough and watching the videos made me sick because of the shaking. The quality wasn't too bad, it looked very nice for the price. Hell it does 1080p, thats pretty darn good. It won't look as good as some of the expensive Hd camcorders, but its a fraction of the cost. I loved its size, you could comfortably take it anywhere without problems.
djames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 09:14 PM   #28
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 103
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Las Vegas View Post
Here it is w/acc.: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=9208238
I first saw it on Endgaget and I was suprised by the value, I'm seriously thinking about getting one, only thing I'm afraid of is something better for the same price coming out soon, you know how it is with Hi-tech stuff.
They seem to have a new brand of memory cards too, I checked last week and I'm pretty sure it was a different brand.
Anyway, for those that I have it, have you tried to save video clips on Photobucket? I'm asking because when I film at 30fps with my 7mp camera and go to upload the clip on Photobucket, it won't let me upload anything longer than a minute, so that sucks.
I think if something else comes out its going to be similar in quality, it might have an added feature like image stabilization, but for the most part I'd say just jump in if this is what you want. You could always wait until a new model comes out which wouldforce this one down in price at clearance. If I'm not mistaken, new products will be coming out before the years end, but then again you'll have to wait.
Of course you could always spend more on a nicer camcorder and get all the grand features and quality and be satisfied for many years.
djames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:02 PM   #29
HD Is Off Da Hook!
 
GymBrat98's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,953
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahur View Post
I could record okay, but I had major problems getting the video into my computer. I did get a clip in once after several tries, but the other times, it just crashed the program(the software that came with it). I went to Aiptek's site, and they said the Action HD "supports up to a class 4 card.
This is copied from their site under FAQ:




"The camera can support an 8 Gigabyte SDHC up to Class 4 which will provide up to 4 hours of HD video. It may support up to a 32GB card, once they are made available by the major brands. We suggest using the SD Card brands Dane Elec. or San Disk. Mini SD and/or adaptor cards are not compatible"


I'm running XP on a duo core 3.0, 4 gb ram, and 8500gt 512mb, so I can't believe it's my PC.

I just got this camcorder last night for 149.00
I have not played with it fully yet, but I can tell you this thing is off the hook.

I have a 2gig micro sd card in it, and it works fine.
The HD out works great through component, looks fantastic on my TV.
The camera is worth the price alone. I use the 8 mega pixel .
I recorded HD TV on a tripod so it looks very, very good!
I recorded in 720p 60f. This camcorded works excellent with ConvertXtoDVD.
You must have at least a 4, 3.2GHz to run on pc, and I don't have that.
I do view the DVD on my Toshiba, and it looks incredible.

I understand about not wanting something cheap, however, the last camcorder I bought was 800 bucks.
I'm so tired of spending money, and the technology leaves me with a artifact. I went on the CC site where they buy back your old equipment. It is in cherry condition, I only used it for like a year, and they said it's worth 23 bucks, oh Hell to the No!

I absolutely love this camcorder/camera!
Here's a pic I took with it, now mind you I was just messin with it. As I get more proficient am sure the pics will look better.

GymBrat98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:57 PM   #30
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Alamogordo, NM
Age: 60
Posts: 456
Default

I agree with your assessment of the Action Hd! (and nice picture too)

I carry mine in my pocket everywhere, and we are very happy with it.

But where in the heck did you get it for $149?
dahur is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > High Definition Cameras & Camcorders > High Definition Cameras & High Definition Camcorders
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads to Aiptek Action HD camcorder
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
High Def Bar & Grill Hitachi65SWX20B High Definition Media 42712 10-19-2014 05:55 AM
Can You Tell Which Pic Is BluRay? GymBrat98 High Definition Media 159 05-04-2010 05:51 PM
New Canon SX1 IS HD camera - HD mov. issues in Vista Flyer2008 High Definition Cameras & High Definition Camcorders 15 08-30-2009 04:33 PM
Aiptek's HDV21X brings 1080p HD video to the sub-$200 Wal-Mart market anythingwt High Definition Cameras & High Definition Camcorders 10 06-14-2008 04:32 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:20 AM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2004 - 2008, High Def Forum