High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > High Definition Cameras & Camcorders > High Definition Cameras & High Definition Camcorders
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

High Definition Cameras & High Definition Camcorders Discuss the latest High Definition Cameras and HD Camcorders including the new HDV Camcorder. Ask questions, post reviews, etc. RSS - High Definition Cameras & High Definition Camcorders

Need some Advice

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 02:31 PM   #1
My plasma is High Def.
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5
Default Need some Advice

Hello all,

I am in need of HD Video Camera and could use some direction on what to buy. Fairly new to HD Video.
The camera is for work and play. The Camera will be used at work to video mining equipment both in the moving and stilll state. I'll need to be able to take stills of various parts on the machines as well. I need high quality video and something sturdy. I will be moving around the equipment as I film and taking notes. This will video log the equipment for later study. I will need to move the files from the camera to a laptop and be able to distribute the files to other persons. The files will almost always be viewed from a computer and not another media.

Then for play - I do a lot of hunting in the fall and would like to film some of my deer hunts in the fall as well. Filming would be in early morning light and fading light until dark from a tree stand. Dry weather only.

I can spend up to $750 or so for this camera.
Any thoughts?
markeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:37 PM   #2
Every day is Friday
 
oblioman's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Hooooterville
Posts: 9,291
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeje View Post
Hello all,

I am in need of HD Video Camera and could use some direction on what to buy. Fairly new to HD Video.
The camera is for work and play. The Camera will be used at work to video mining equipment both in the moving and stilll state. I'll need to be able to take stills of various parts on the machines as well. I need high quality video and something sturdy. I will be moving around the equipment as I film and taking notes. This will video log the equipment for later study. I will need to move the files from the camera to a laptop and be able to distribute the files to other persons. The files will almost always be viewed from a computer and not another media.

Then for play - I do a lot of hunting in the fall and would like to film some of my deer hunts in the fall as well. Filming would be in early morning light and fading light until dark from a tree stand. Dry weather only.

I can spend up to $750 or so for this camera.
Any thoughts?
Will you be shooting video inside the mine?
__________________
MEMPHIS ROCKS
oblioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:14 AM   #3
My plasma is High Def.
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5
Default

No - all outdoors.
markeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:45 AM   #4
My plasma is High Def.
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5
Default

Right now I'm leaning towards the Canon Vixia HF M41.
markeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:37 PM   #5
Every day is Friday
 
oblioman's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Hooooterville
Posts: 9,291
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeje View Post
Right now I'm leaning towards the Canon Vixia HF M41.
That would be a fine choice. You mentioned earlier that you will be distributing your files mainly by computer. Keep in mind that if you keep the files in the .mts format they will be fairly large. A ten minute video is around 2 gig.
__________________
MEMPHIS ROCKS
oblioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:29 AM   #6
My plasma is High Def.
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5
Default

Thats about how long each file would be I imagine.
Is there a way to compress them or change them to another format with out quality loss?
markeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:48 AM   #7
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 35
Default

When you compress video you will get some quality loss,that being said you still can have a very good file when compressed. You will have to experiment with different codecs and bit rates to determine what looks good to you. I often encode to H264 MP4'S and am happy with the results.
renowilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:25 AM   #8
My plasma is High Def.
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5
Default

Cool - Thanks for the info guys. I'm SURE after I get the camera, which I did get approval for, I will have more questions. Filming itself will be a learning experiance. I need to hit this one out of the park in order to show the value of using videoing the equipment. My boss ultimately wants me to take the video and edit it to a quick 2 minutes synopsis of the undercarriage of the machine.
Any tips/tricks?
markeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:58 PM   #9
Every day is Friday
 
oblioman's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Hooooterville
Posts: 9,291
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeje View Post
Cool - Thanks for the info guys. I'm SURE after I get the camera, which I did get approval for, I will have more questions. Filming itself will be a learning experiance. I need to hit this one out of the park in order to show the value of using videoing the equipment. My boss ultimately wants me to take the video and edit it to a quick 2 minutes synopsis of the undercarriage of the machine.
Any tips/tricks?
Undercarriage? Get a short tripod. Better yet, get a couple of 6 foot lengths of 1 1/2 schedule 80 pvc pipe and construct your own little dolly to smoothly roll your camera along underneath.
This little vid will give you an idea - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riaQGgpxOWY
__________________
MEMPHIS ROCKS
oblioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > High Definition Cameras & Camcorders > High Definition Cameras & High Definition Camcorders
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads to Need some Advice
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thinking about building a PC. Need some advice and help. jmwatkins Gaming & Systems 70 11-01-2012 01:37 PM
Need some advice, Please help jmwatkins Flat-Panel TVs 20 05-14-2009 05:48 AM
Buying LCD HDTV. Need some advice on Vizio and Westinghouse. bigduly Flat-Panel TVs 11 02-14-2008 01:10 PM
Need Some Advice / Recommendations on RPTV's in the $2000 range Dervrak Rear-Projection TVs 30 02-05-2008 12:32 PM
Need some advice on choosing a DLP or LCD dabig25 Rear-Projection TVs 15 10-22-2006 05:35 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:34 AM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2004 - 2008, High Def Forum