High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > High Definition Hardware > HD DVD Players and Discs
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

HD DVD Players and Discs A place to discuss HD DVD players, movies and anything else relating to the HD DVD format

No Sound from HD-A20 HD-DVD's

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2013, 12:46 AM   #1
My plasma is High Def.
 

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 5
Default No Sound from HD-A20 HD-DVD's

I cannot get any sound when I play an HD-DVD on my A20 (either of them....I have 2). Regular DVD's and CD's play fine. Can anyone out there help me? Thank you..........Steve
Stephen Haddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:51 AM   #2
HDF SUPER-MODERATOR
 
ImRizzo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn & Eastern Long Island, NY ....It's not a Place, it's an Attitude and a NY State of Mind !!
Posts: 22,571
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Haddon View Post
I cannot get any sound when I play an HD-DVD on my A20 (either of them....I have 2). Regular DVD's and CD's play fine. Can anyone out there help me? Thank you..........Steve
More info necessary components in your system and connections available thx?
__________________
.


Sent from my Fisher Price touch&talk phone~using ITouchmyself II

LG OLED 55B6P ~Oppo UDP203~Sony XBR929~Denon 3311~Mirage V2 SPK-SYS w/ S10 SW~ DVP5000~Harmony1100
Cablevision Optimum via Scientific Atlantic 8300HDDVR
ImRizzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:00 PM   #3
My plasma is High Def.
 

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 5
Default A20 Not producting sound on HD-DVD discs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImRizzo View Post
More info necessary components in your system and connections available thx?
I am using the optical out jack of both machines into an ONKYO TX-SR703. Funny thing is, it might work for a minute or two, but when I turn the unit off, and then back on, it quits working. It also cuts in and out when it finally does work. If I leave the unit on when it is working, it will play disc and disc fully, but when I turn it off, and then back on again, I lose all sound. I have tried unplugging it and leaving it unpluged for a while with no results. Both of my A20's used to work just fine until they sat for a while. The other A20 is optical into an ONKYO TX-SR700.....with the same weird results. I have tried to contact Toshiba, but they just basically blow me off, and tell me to find one on EBAY (They don't like anwering the phone, believe me!!)
I know this doesn't help you much, but I have tried everything from switching Optical ports on the receiver to changing optical cords altogether. Nothing I've tried seems to work....
Stephen Haddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:03 PM   #4
Every day is Friday
 
oblioman's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Hooooterville
Posts: 9,295
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Haddon View Post
I am using the optical out jack of both machines into an ONKYO TX-SR703. Funny thing is, it might work for a minute or two, but when I turn the unit off, and then back on, it quits working. It also cuts in and out when it finally does work. If I leave the unit on when it is working, it will play disc and disc fully, but when I turn it off, and then back on again, I lose all sound. I have tried unplugging it and leaving it unpluged for a while with no results. Both of my A20's used to work just fine until they sat for a while. The other A20 is optical into an ONKYO TX-SR700.....with the same weird results. I have tried to contact Toshiba, but they just basically blow me off, and tell me to find one on EBAY (They don't like anwering the phone, believe me!!)
I know this doesn't help you much, but I have tried everything from switching Optical ports on the receiver to changing optical cords altogether. Nothing I've tried seems to work....
Have you tried a different cable? Toslink are finicky. Especially if you have severe bends in the cable. Another thing to consider with toslink is if it's the clear cable brand - the light can be dispersed if the cable is laying next to an led source that emits directly into the cable. In short, if the cable is laying across an electrical outlet strip that has an led off/on indicator, it may be sending an errant light signal through the cable causing your sound interruption.
__________________
MEMPHIS ROCKS
oblioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:28 PM   #5
Super Moderator
 
bruceames's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Novato, CA
Posts: 17,008
Default

Just accept that the player is bad and do like Toshiba said and buy one off ebay. They are only about $30 and that's less than the value of time wasted in trying to find a solution to a sound problem that very likely doesn't exist. I have a few A20s myself and one of them doesn't play HD DVDs, just DVDs. Remember these are early adopter players.
bruceames is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > High Definition Hardware > HD DVD Players and Discs
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads to No Sound from HD-A20 HD-DVD's
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Toshiba A20 - No Audio when playing HDDVD pinchaser HD DVD Players and Discs 11 07-16-2013 01:05 AM
Dolby Digital v.s Dolby TrueHD Techlord Blu-Ray and Ultra HD Blu-Ray Players 57 05-21-2009 11:42 PM
A20 - No sound with HD-DVDs Plus1 HD DVD Players and Discs 15 05-18-2009 12:44 PM
Why does HD DVD look and sound... bklynrickel HD DVD Players and Discs 63 05-11-2009 01:06 PM
Which HD DVD player is the best??? lordofthesith HD DVD Players and Discs 24 03-10-2009 10:22 AM
Why no sound on regular DVD's with my HD-A20? White Knight HD DVD Players and Discs 16 09-10-2008 01:18 AM
How to go about HD-DVD? yourrealdad HD DVD Players and Discs 7 04-27-2007 09:50 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:39 PM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2004 - 2008, High Def Forum