High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > General Chit Chat > Gaming & Systems
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

Gaming & Systems A place to discuss video game systems RSS - Gaming & Systems

Got a Vita!

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2012, 07:52 AM   #46
Toys in the attic...
 
Noct's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NY
Posts: 1,259
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexgenrulz View Post
The game selection was dismal. BB barely had any. I'm going tonight to see what I can find.
I was shopping around last night checking them out, and surprisingly, Target had the best selection of games around me; even better then my GameStop.

And somebody was doing a buy 2 get 1 on the games... Can't remember which store now, but it was probably either ToysRus or Target.

I actually turned around and went home after I found a promotional display and spent some time with it. It felt kinda heavy and awkward to me; almost like the screen was too big, and I was absolutely stunned by how effing long it took to go from the dashboard to actually playing a game (Uncharted)...

That's totally unacceptable for me. A portable has got to be quick to get into a game or it rapidly defeats the purpose of having it. It was the only complaint I had about the first PSP, and it seems like it's gotten worse.

I'm totally still buying one next month when Mortal Kombat comes out, but I'm not jumping now. What I saw of Uncharted just didn't sell me the system.
__________________
You've got red on you.
Noct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:05 AM   #47
Two Words, No Refunds.
 
marcallo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,553
Default

Best Buy and ToysRUs were both doing B2G1's on Vita. I heard a Best Buy employee talking about how they had to match such a ridiculous offer when I was in there a few days ago. I don't know if the sales are still going on or not.
marcallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:19 AM   #48
Damn B!
 
Nexgenrulz's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kansas
Posts: 3,106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noct View Post
I was shopping around last night checking them out, and surprisingly, Target had the best selection of games around me; even better then my GameStop.

And somebody was doing a buy 2 get 1 on the games... Can't remember which store now, but it was probably either ToysRus or Target.

I actually turned around and went home after I found a promotional display and spent some time with it. It felt kinda heavy and awkward to me; almost like the screen was too big, and I was absolutely stunned by how effing long it took to go from the dashboard to actually playing a game (Uncharted)...

That's totally unacceptable for me. A portable has got to be quick to get into a game or it rapidly defeats the purpose of having it. It was the only complaint I had about the first PSP, and it seems like it's gotten worse.

I'm totally still buying one next month when Mortal Kombat comes out, but I'm not jumping now. What I saw of Uncharted just didn't sell me the system.
Target is also doing the buy 2 get 1 free but when I stopped there they only had 2 games to choose from. Amazon is as well. Their selection isn't much better. I think the system is pretty comfortable. The 2 analog sticks are the icing on the cake. I can't comment on the speed of the games, but the demos load relatively fast and moving between the screens is good too.
__________________
Certified Sony Fanboy!
Nexgenrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:15 AM   #49
I'm here for the lulz
 
Pinoy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 13,967
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexgenrulz View Post
Well Pinoy, I got the 3G/Wifi last night. Pretty sweet! Got $80 for 2 PSP's at Best Buy and had a $50 gift card. Paid $198 out of pocket. The game selection was dismal. BB barely had any. I'm going tonight to see what I can find.
Nice! I'd suggest avoid little deviants, it's a cool little kiddie game but I really doubt you'd dig it (unless you're really dying for some rear touch pad action)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noct View Post

I actually turned around and went home after I found a promotional display and spent some time with it. It felt kinda heavy and awkward to me; almost like the screen was too big, and I was absolutely stunned by how effing long it took to go from the dashboard to actually playing a game (Uncharted)...

That's totally unacceptable for me. A portable has got to be quick to get into a game or it rapidly defeats the purpose of having it. It was the only complaint I had about the first PSP, and it seems like it's gotten worse.

I'm totally still buying one next month when Mortal Kombat comes out, but I'm not jumping now. What I saw of Uncharted just didn't sell me the system.
Really? UC loads up quick for me. Actually I just timed it out, low 30'seconds from dashboard to the in game menu. It loads up even faster if you haven't closed the game out and just left the tab open.
__________________
SteamID: Zr0
Casting Wizard Jizz from The Cloud since '13
Is it still trolling if it's true?
Pinoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:25 AM   #50
Boob Whisperer....
 
mytime's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Jackson, Missouri
Posts: 9,698
Default

Rear touch pad action huh?
__________________
PFC5 you will be missed.
mytime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:45 AM   #51
Toys in the attic...
 
Noct's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NY
Posts: 1,259
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoy View Post
Really? UC loads up quick for me. Actually I just timed it out, low 30'seconds from dashboard to the in game menu. It loads up even faster if you haven't closed the game out and just left the tab open.
Interesting... The unit I used did say right on it (not on a sticker) that it was a test model... Is it possible that something could have changed in the actual consumer version? Or maybe there was just something wrong with the display model...

Cuz, seriously no BS, if I had to take a guess, I'd say it took around 4 or 5 minutes to go from launching the game to the point where I was actually controlling Nate. Granted, some of that was the intro, but you couldn't skip it, as it was still loading game data in the background.

As far as the unit goes... Obviously it's a little tough to judge comfort when its connected to a metal arm, but it still felt a little off to me. A little bit clunky or awkward. To be honest, I didn't really find the sticks to be all that great feeling either. It's almost like they were a little too sensitive or something.

This is all obviously just first impression, and I'm sure you get used to it, but I didn't feel comfortable holding it when I was standing there, and I definately felt like I was fighting with the controls more then enjoying them.

I dunno, maybe I'm just jaded. I wanted to love this thing as much as the PSP, but I just don't yet. Hopefully it was just a bad first impression; the concept of a console-quality MK9 in my pocket is still more then I can pass up.
__________________
You've got red on you.
Noct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:15 PM   #52
I'm here for the lulz
 
Pinoy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 13,967
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytime View Post
Rear touch pad action huh?
Glad somebody got that
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noct View Post
Interesting... The unit I used did say right on it (not on a sticker) that it was a test model... Is it possible that something could have changed in the actual consumer version? Or maybe there was just something wrong with the display model...

Cuz, seriously no BS, if I had to take a guess, I'd say it took around 4 or 5 minutes to go from launching the game to the point where I was actually controlling Nate. Granted, some of that was the intro, but you couldn't skip it, as it was still loading game data in the background.

As far as the unit goes... Obviously it's a little tough to judge comfort when its connected to a metal arm, but it still felt a little off to me. A little bit clunky or awkward. To be honest, I didn't really find the sticks to be all that great feeling either. It's almost like they were a little too sensitive or something.

This is all obviously just first impression, and I'm sure you get used to it, but I didn't feel comfortable holding it when I was standing there, and I definately felt like I was fighting with the controls more then enjoying them.

I dunno, maybe I'm just jaded. I wanted to love this thing as much as the PSP, but I just don't yet. Hopefully it was just a bad first impression; the concept of a console-quality MK9 in my pocket is still more then I can pass up.
I guess it's possible something has changed from the demo unit and the retail unit, definitely different firmware as Sony always does that. And it mostly definitely does not take anywhere near 4-5 minutes to start UC on the Vita. Even from the very first time you start it.

It is an odd shape, like the PSP. Definitely feels a bit better in my hands than the OG PSP though, probably since it's a bit bigger. And yes the sticks are sensitive (probably due to the short throw on them) it does take a bit of getting used to for sure.

Compared to the original PSP...Vita blows it away.
__________________
SteamID: Zr0
Casting Wizard Jizz from The Cloud since '13
Is it still trolling if it's true?
Pinoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:59 PM   #53
Damn B!
 
Nexgenrulz's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kansas
Posts: 3,106
Default

Actually went to a different Target and scored on Uncharted, Fifa & Hot Shots Golf for my freebie! Next up The Show in a week! The cross platform gaming was the big selling point for me.
__________________
Certified Sony Fanboy!
Nexgenrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:49 AM   #54
Damn B!
 
Nexgenrulz's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kansas
Posts: 3,106
Default

Now that we've had a little time with the Vita, just wondering what your impressions are? I personally am loving this thing. Looking forward to Sony's Press Conference today showing the future releases. Picked up Unit 13 and the daily challenge is a bitch! Hard as hell! So far all the first party releases by Sony are incredible (as usual).
__________________
Certified Sony Fanboy!
Nexgenrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:11 AM   #55
I'm here for the lulz
 
Pinoy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 13,967
Default

I'm really digging it myself, only real complaints are small ones that can be fixed (mostly UI oddities)

My advice to anybody who's picking one up: Get the PDP trigger slips, gives it a little more real estate to hold. The Vita itself feels pretty good in the hands but if you're gonna go for a 2-3 hour spree then the grips do give it a more comfortable hold.

Get a red Hori screen protector, or the official Sony one. I have the official one right now, it's good. Goes on easy, feels good sliding your finger across it, and doesn't screw with the IQ. The red Hori's I have on the way, and I know and trust them since I've always used them on my PSP's.

I'd shy away from Little Deviants, but every other game I've played has run and worked flawlessly. I'm beating MikeRox's butt across Motorstorm RC... Escape Plan is fucking funny

My extra set of SkullCandy headphones work great with the set, even the built in mic works nicely. I'm still waiting on my knockoff BT headphones to arrive, will comment on those later when I get them.

Yeah...impressive hardware. Every person who see's it oohs and ahh's over the screen display. My buddy look confused when I mentioned that it wasn't technically HD display due to the resolution... he asked then how come I don't see any little dots or edges? OLED is brilliant.

BTW Nexgen if you haven't figured it out already if you hold the PS button down it brings up a pop screen where you can tweak the music volume individually to the master volume, and RW/FF tracks as well. Much quicker than dropping out of game to do (though admittedly it's pretty fast that way too)
__________________
SteamID: Zr0
Casting Wizard Jizz from The Cloud since '13
Is it still trolling if it's true?
Pinoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:56 PM   #56
Damn B!
 
Nexgenrulz's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kansas
Posts: 3,106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoy View Post
I'm really digging it myself, only real complaints are small ones that can be fixed (mostly UI oddities)

My advice to anybody who's picking one up: Get the PDP trigger slips, gives it a little more real estate to hold. The Vita itself feels pretty good in the hands but if you're gonna go for a 2-3 hour spree then the grips do give it a more comfortable hold.

Get a red Hori screen protector, or the official Sony one. I have the official one right now, it's good. Goes on easy, feels good sliding your finger across it, and doesn't screw with the IQ. The red Hori's I have on the way, and I know and trust them since I've always used them on my PSP's.

I'd shy away from Little Deviants, but every other game I've played has run and worked flawlessly. I'm beating MikeRox's butt across Motorstorm RC... Escape Plan is fucking funny

My extra set of SkullCandy headphones work great with the set, even the built in mic works nicely. I'm still waiting on my knockoff BT headphones to arrive, will comment on those later when I get them.

Yeah...impressive hardware. Every person who see's it oohs and ahh's over the screen display. My buddy look confused when I mentioned that it wasn't technically HD display due to the resolution... he asked then how come I don't see any little dots or edges? OLED is brilliant.

BTW Nexgen if you haven't figured it out already if you hold the PS button down it brings up a pop screen where you can tweak the music volume individually to the master volume, and RW/FF tracks as well. Much quicker than dropping out of game to do (though admittedly it's pretty fast that way too)
Good info, thanks Pinoy! Also after a few software updates I think the user interface will be much improved. I can't remember the last time a launch system had this many stellar titles that have consistently scored high on the review charts. Also FYI, The Show is amazing. The best sports game period!
__________________
Certified Sony Fanboy!
Nexgenrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:19 PM   #57
I'm here for the lulz
 
Pinoy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 13,967
Default

Skype is now available on the Vita.
For those of you with a Vita and signed up to receive emails from Sony keep an eye out for a voucher for 60 minutes of free Skype credit. You can of course still call people Skype to Skype for free.

You need to setup your Skype account on PC though, the Vita interface does not allow for it. I have yet to make a call on it, will tonight hopefully and report on call quality.
__________________
SteamID: Zr0
Casting Wizard Jizz from The Cloud since '13
Is it still trolling if it's true?
Pinoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:28 PM   #58
Rest In Peace...PFC5
 
kharaa's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Utah
Age: 28
Posts: 6,411
Default

i've used skype for years now, it's incredible.
__________________
Core i7 4770k 3.5ghz(OC'd to 4.5gh)|MSI Z87-GD65|16gb DDR3 1866 Ram | Corsair 750 w PSU | Radeon HD 6970 | Antec DF-85 Chassis

MSI GT70|Core i7 3630QM|16gb DDR 1600| 128gb SSD+750gb HDD|GTX 675MX


Steam: kharaa
Xbox Live: kharaa
PSN: Feyhart
kharaa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:44 PM   #59
Damn B!
 
Nexgenrulz's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Kansas
Posts: 3,106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoy View Post
Skype is now available on the Vita.
For those of you with a Vita and signed up to receive emails from Sony keep an eye out for a voucher for 60 minutes of free Skype credit. You can of course still call people Skype to Skype for free.

You need to setup your Skype account on PC though, the Vita interface does not allow for it. I have yet to make a call on it, will tonight hopefully and report on call quality.
I had skype on the PSP. Just logged in on the Vita with that, boom right in!
__________________
Certified Sony Fanboy!
Nexgenrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:15 AM   #60
I'm here for the lulz
 
Pinoy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 13,967
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kharaa View Post
i've used skype for years now, it's incredible.
Oh I've used Skype before, just not on the Vita.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexgenrulz View Post
I had skype on the PSP. Just logged in on the Vita with that, boom right in!
Yeah it was actually pretty damn good on the PSP. I setup a Skype account on my godson's PSP so he could call me from the library awhile ago, damn shame his PSP got jacked.
__________________
SteamID: Zr0
Casting Wizard Jizz from The Cloud since '13
Is it still trolling if it's true?
Pinoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > General Chit Chat > Gaming & Systems
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:58 PM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2004 - 2008, High Def Forum