High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > High Definition Viewing Mediums, HDTVs > Flat-Panel TVs
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

Flat-Panel TVs Plasma, LCD RSS - Flat-Panel TVs

game mode???

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2008, 08:24 PM   #1
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 47
Default game mode???

Hey, i have a panasonic thpz800u and hdmi 4 says game mode. is there any difference between game mode(hdmi 4) and the other hdmi ports?
xboxps2gba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:59 AM   #2
Former Super Moderator - RIP
 
PFC5's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Mass
Posts: 38,295
Default

I don't believe their is any differnce other than when an input is labeled as game mode, the pixel shifting is done every minute to avoid IR.
__________________
Denon AVR-887
Klipsch RP-5 Pwred Towers (mains) (525 watts peak each 12"Subs)
All Klipsch RC-25(ctr),(2)SS1(surr),(2)SS1(rearSurr)
Toshiba (2)HD-A20,PS3,BD35
For SACD/DVD-A Samsung HD-841
Panny 50pz80u plasma
SETTINGS
RCA HD50LPW162 50"DLP w/HD2+
SA 3250HD
47" LCD+Yamaha5790+HD-A1(bedroom)
Harmony 680 + (2) 670s (amazing remote/support)
Game room with Onkyo receiver & B&W Speakers
The_Cable_Game
Take the high ground and be happier
PSN: PFC5
PFC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:16 AM   #3
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 47
Default

I have the same TV. That 4th port is on the front of the TV, and I bet they assumed that most people would hook up their game system through it. I think they just pre-labeled it for you.
1080peon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:49 PM   #4
The 65 VT & Neil Rock!
 
Razor05's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,775
Default

Correct. You can go into the menu system and rename (presets) any of the inputs. Game mode also has certain video settings (which you can change also). I have the 850 series, so I am not positive that you have the same AV adjustments.
__________________

Panasonic TC-P65VT50
Sony KDL37XBR6
Panasonic TH-37PX50U
Cambridge Audio Azur 640R & 740C
Paradigm Studio 60's, 20's, CC-590 & Seismic 12
Panasonic DMP-BDT220 & DMP-BD35
Toshiba HD-XA2 & A35

Xbox One w Kinect GT: Razor59
PS4 GT: Razor_59
Steam ID: razor59pc

MacBook Pro - Retina 2.6 GHz i7 16GB 512 SSD
PC: Intel i7-4960x, Asus Rampage IV Extreme Black, Asus GTX 690 4GB, Sound Blaster Zx, Dell U3011

- 397
- 55
Razor05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:36 PM   #5
I'm Fabulous.
 
awol's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 8,819
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFC5 View Post
I don't believe their is any differnce other than when an input is labeled as game mode, the pixel shifting is done every minute to avoid IR.
I actually went and made all my calibrations to the Game Mode and switched it to HDMI 1. This way, I get the benefits of the pixel shifting on EVERYTHING since it's all 1 HDMI connection from my Onkyo.
awol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:55 PM   #6
Former Super Moderator - RIP
 
PFC5's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Mass
Posts: 38,295
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by awol View Post
I actually went and made all my calibrations to the Game Mode and switched it to HDMI 1. This way, I get the benefits of the pixel shifting on EVERYTHING since it's all 1 HDMI connection from my Onkyo.
The actual "Game Mode" on mine has different gamma and other hidden settings so I would recommend not using the actual mode and just change the "Label" for the type of connection to "Game" to get that 1 minute pixel shifting. Also double check that it changes the pixel shifting in the advanced setup for the Mode you use. I found that Cinema Mode is the most accurate, and the pro reviewers & calibrators have said the same thing.
__________________
Denon AVR-887
Klipsch RP-5 Pwred Towers (mains) (525 watts peak each 12"Subs)
All Klipsch RC-25(ctr),(2)SS1(surr),(2)SS1(rearSurr)
Toshiba (2)HD-A20,PS3,BD35
For SACD/DVD-A Samsung HD-841
Panny 50pz80u plasma
SETTINGS
RCA HD50LPW162 50"DLP w/HD2+
SA 3250HD
47" LCD+Yamaha5790+HD-A1(bedroom)
Harmony 680 + (2) 670s (amazing remote/support)
Game room with Onkyo receiver & B&W Speakers
The_Cable_Game
Take the high ground and be happier
PSN: PFC5
PFC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:15 PM   #7
I'm Fabulous.
 
awol's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 8,819
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFC5 View Post
The actual "Game Mode" on mine has different gamma and other hidden settings so I would recommend not using the actual mode and just change the "Label" for the type of connection to "Game" to get that 1 minute pixel shifting. Also double check that it changes the pixel shifting in the advanced setup for the Mode you use. I found that Cinema Mode is the most accurate, and the pro reviewers & calibrators have said the same thing.
Well, now I'm confused. I started out with mine set on game mode. Then I switched it to the Cinema Preset and made the calibrations according to the DVE disc.

Should that have gotten me where I want to be?
awol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:02 PM   #8
Former Super Moderator - RIP
 
PFC5's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Mass
Posts: 38,295
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by awol View Post
Well, now I'm confused. I started out with mine set on game mode. Then I switched it to the Cinema Preset and made the calibrations according to the DVE disc.

Should that have gotten me where I want to be?
To watch movies & TV yes use Cinema Mode, but if you want the orbiting pixels to happen every 1 minute, then label the input used as "GAME".

I actually use a Custom Mode for setting for the PS3 because I want the brighter shadows with the shoot em up games like COD4. I just flip it to Custom Mode when I play a game and then change it back to Cinema when watching TV/movies for the more accurate and more natural picture with them.

What make/model plasma do you have?
__________________
Denon AVR-887
Klipsch RP-5 Pwred Towers (mains) (525 watts peak each 12"Subs)
All Klipsch RC-25(ctr),(2)SS1(surr),(2)SS1(rearSurr)
Toshiba (2)HD-A20,PS3,BD35
For SACD/DVD-A Samsung HD-841
Panny 50pz80u plasma
SETTINGS
RCA HD50LPW162 50"DLP w/HD2+
SA 3250HD
47" LCD+Yamaha5790+HD-A1(bedroom)
Harmony 680 + (2) 670s (amazing remote/support)
Game room with Onkyo receiver & B&W Speakers
The_Cable_Game
Take the high ground and be happier
PSN: PFC5
PFC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 09:24 AM   #9
I'm Fabulous.
 
awol's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 8,819
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFC5 View Post
To watch movies & TV yes use Cinema Mode, but if you want the orbiting pixels to happen every 1 minute, then label the input used as "GAME".

I actually use a Custom Mode for setting for the PS3 because I want the brighter shadows with the shoot em up games like COD4. I just flip it to Custom Mode when I play a game and then change it back to Cinema when watching TV/movies for the more accurate and more natural picture with them.

What make/model plasma do you have?
The Panny 50PZ85. I did already do that, I started with hitting the "GAME" button on the remote. Then I relabled the input to HDMI 1. After that I set it to Cinema, then used my DVE calibration disc. The modifications made were very slight with the exception of the sharpness, that got toned down to 25 from 50. So I think I'm covered.
awol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:09 AM   #10
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 324
Default

On some other models like Sharp and Toshiba "game mode" enhances the contrast ratio and decreases the response time, although, I have never clearly seen a difference.
YoniX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > High Definition Viewing Mediums, HDTVs > Flat-Panel TVs
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads to game mode???
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help on 32"s/Game Mode Stealth27 Flat-Panel TVs 14 04-23-2009 12:38 AM
Samsung Game mode help... didactical Flat-Panel TVs 9 10-01-2008 09:58 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:43 AM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2004 - 2008, High Def Forum