High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > High Definition Viewing Mediums, HDTVs > Flat-Panel TVs
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

Flat-Panel TVs Plasma, LCD RSS - Flat-Panel TVs

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By ahodgson
  • 1 Post By rprman

Vizio LCD HDMI ports problem (Seems to be common)

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2012, 01:26 AM   #1
What is HD?
 

Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2
Default Vizio LCD HDMI ports problem (Seems to be common)

Right, hello, first post and its a question that has stumped me for the last 24 hours.

My 26" Vizio - aged three years - recently became the conductor for my BluRay player and my (beautiful) XBox 360, both of which had HDMI ports, which I was quite excited about.

When I plugged in both, the BluRay player didn't work in port 2! It kept telling me "Not Support!" So I searched around here for an answer, didn't get one, and figured I'd ignore it because, to my knowledge, I'd never before used port 2 and it wasn't a big deal to switch the HDMI cable for the rare chance that I wanted to watch a BluRay movie.

This was a month ago that I tired port 2.

Fastforward to last night, when I plugged in my BluRay and ... well ... I got no sound. I plugged it into the XBox and still no sound. I plugged it into my computer, and still no sound.

The last sound-working thing plugged into the HDMI port 1 was my computer, so I tried going back again to see if that would work. Nope.

I reset the TV, went into my XBox and chose all the different sound options, and I still can't get it to work. I unplugged it for 24 hours in hope that it would solve itself and I still get no luck.

I also have not found anything around the forum, which is why I have decided to ask specifically.

Prior to this, my TV has never, ever, ever acted up or been mistreated. I transport it in my frequent moves in the box it came in with all the packaging.

Please help. I'm like most people - I cant afford a new TV and this is my baby.
AdiposeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:11 AM   #2
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
Phil17108's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 78
Default

try a new hdmi cable and there may be some sound options in the tv's set up menu
Phil17108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:50 PM   #3
What is HD?
 

Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2
Default

I tried a new HDMI and still no sound.
I went into the menu but couldn't find anything.
Would external speakers fix this?
I have sound through composite cables.
AdiposeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:34 PM   #4
Vizio Refugee
 

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ventura, CA
Posts: 119
Default

Probably a bad HDMI board. If you got three years out of a Vizio, I'd say you've done pretty well. I only got 13 months! If my experience is any indication, your set probably cannot be repaired.
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:15 PM   #5
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 59
Smile New Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiposeOne View Post
I tried a new HDMI and still no sound.
I went into the menu but couldn't find anything.
Would external speakers fix this?
I have sound through composite cables.
If you can't get your HDMI port to work, as long as at least one port works you could try a switch, check this one out, its way cheaper than buying a whole new tv:

http://sewelldirect.com/2x1-or-1x2-H...assthrough.asp
jharrison.mfsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:08 PM   #6
What is HD?
 

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiposeOne View Post
Right, hello, first post and its a question that has stumped me for the last 24 hours.

My 26" Vizio - aged three years - recently became the conductor for my BluRay player and my (beautiful) XBox 360, both of which had HDMI ports, which I was quite excited about.

When I plugged in both, the BluRay player didn't work in port 2! It kept telling me "Not Support!" So I searched around here for an answer, didn't get one, and figured I'd ignore it because, to my knowledge, I'd never before used port 2 and it wasn't a big deal to switch the HDMI cable for the rare chance that I wanted to watch a BluRay movie.

This was a month ago that I tired port 2.

Fastforward to last night, when I plugged in my BluRay and ... well ... I got no sound. I plugged it into the XBox and still no sound. I plugged it into my computer, and still no sound.

The last sound-working thing plugged into the HDMI port 1 was my computer, so I tried going back again to see if that would work. Nope.

I reset the TV, went into my XBox and chose all the different sound options, and I still can't get it to work. I unplugged it for 24 hours in hope that it would solve itself and I still get no luck.

I also have not found anything around the forum, which is why I have decided to ask specifically.

Prior to this, my TV has never, ever, ever acted up or been mistreated. I transport it in my frequent moves in the box it came in with all the packaging.

Please help. I'm like most people - I cant afford a new TV and this is my baby.
I was having this same issue with my 42" vizio, after contacting vizio through their live chat and following all their trouble shooting steps, this includes using known working cables, one of the ports did start working but not for long, an hour later and it was out again. Thinking this tv wasn't going to get much use with just one hdmi port working I didn't have anything to lose by trying some of my own troubleshooting steps... this is what worked for me, (I remembered doing this on a printer once as a seft test)

1.)Unplug the tv from the wall, unplug the hdmi cables from the back of the tv. Hold the power button down on the tv, keep the power button down on the tv and plug the power cord back into the outlet.
Keep the power button down until the tv turns itself on and then off.

2.)Plug one of the hdmi cables back into the tv, 3.) turn on the tv and the device attached to the other end of the hdmi cable (I used the original cables because they were already behind the walls).
Repeat the last two steps for each hdmi port.
All the hdmi ports are working with the original cables.

Hope this helps someone else.
ImRizzo, houseofsixcats and kssmp6 like this.

Last edited by ahodgson; 05-12-2012 at 01:29 PM..
ahodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 10:45 PM   #7
What is HD?
 

Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1
Default Thank you for the vizio reset advice

Thank you! The HDMI on my Vizio has never worked. I followed the directions of turning off, unplugging, holding the power button, etc. I plugged in the HDMI cable, turned on the TV and ...it worked great!!! Thank you.
drdave1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:19 PM   #8
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiposeOne View Post
Right, hello, first post and its a question that has stumped me for the last 24 hours.

My 26" Vizio - aged three years - recently became the conductor for my BluRay player and my (beautiful) XBox 360, both of which had HDMI ports, which I was quite excited about.

When I plugged in both, the BluRay player didn't work in port 2! It kept telling me "Not Support!" So I searched around here for an answer, didn't get one, and figured I'd ignore it because, to my knowledge, I'd never before used port 2 and it wasn't a big deal to switch the HDMI cable for the rare chance that I wanted to watch a BluRay movie.

This was a month ago that I tired port 2.

Fastforward to last night, when I plugged in my BluRay and ... well ... I got no sound. I plugged it into the XBox and still no sound. I plugged it into my computer, and still no sound.

The last sound-working thing plugged into the HDMI port 1 was my computer, so I tried going back again to see if that would work. Nope.

I reset the TV, went into my XBox and chose all the different sound options, and I still can't get it to work. I unplugged it for 24 hours in hope that it would solve itself and I still get no luck.

I also have not found anything around the forum, which is why I have decided to ask specifically.

Prior to this, my TV has never, ever, ever acted up or been mistreated. I transport it in my frequent moves in the box it came in with all the packaging.

Please help. I'm like most people - I cant afford a new TV and this is my baby.
Hi! HDMI inputs part of Main Board, so if you tried different sources and still no picture - the Main Board may need to be replaced, normally it $75 up to $150 and very easy to replace. We have related articles on our website: www.tulsatvrepair.biz. Good luck!
__________________
www.tulsatvrepair.biz
rprman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 08:32 PM   #9
What is HD?
 

Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahodgson View Post
I was having this same issue with my 42" vizio, after contacting vizio through their live chat and following all their trouble shooting steps, this includes using known working cables, one of the ports did start working but not for long, an hour later and it was out again. Thinking this tv wasn't going to get much use with just one hdmi port working I didn't have anything to lose by trying some of my own troubleshooting steps... this is what worked for me, (I remembered doing this on a printer once as a seft test)

1.)Unplug the tv from the wall, unplug the hdmi cables from the back of the tv. Hold the power button down on the tv, keep the power button down on the tv and plug the power cord back into the outlet.
Keep the power button down until the tv turns itself on and then off.

2.)Plug one of the hdmi cables back into the tv, 3.) turn on the tv and the device attached to the other end of the hdmi cable (I used the original cables because they were already behind the walls).
Repeat the last two steps for each hdmi port.
All the hdmi ports are working with the original cables.

Hope this helps someone else.
So I am having issues with my HDMI ports as well, and I tried to follow the instructions above, however... I held the power button forever. Like five minutes and the TV would not turn off. the TV is a E320VL vizio and i am about to lose my mind because nothing is working!
BlueEyedChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 12:43 AM   #10
What is HD?
 

Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahodgson View Post
1.)Unplug the tv from the wall, unplug the hdmi cables from the back of the tv. Hold the power button down on the tv, keep the power button down on the tv and plug the power cord back into the outlet.
Keep the power button down until the tv turns itself on and then off.

2.)Plug one of the hdmi cables back into the tv, 3.) turn on the tv and the device attached to the other end of the hdmi cable (I used the original cables because they were already behind the walls).
Repeat the last two steps for each hdmi port.
All the hdmi ports are working with the original cables.

Hope this helps someone else.
In case anyone has an issue with the M series (ours is the M70-C3), this method worked for me. Turned on the tv tonight and no picture. Sound through the home theater, but no picture. After much cursing, I discovered that HDMI 1,2 and 4, no longer worked. Switched to HDMI 3 so we could watch tv while I googled a solution.

Tried the factory reset, after copying down my calibration settings, but didn't work. Happened on this thread, tried the above method, worked like a charm! I did this method for HDMI 1 only, and all ports are working again.
houseofsixcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 07:57 PM   #11
What is HD?
 

Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1
Default Not so much

I have a Vizio XVT473SV. The HDMI ports had always worked fine until today. I tried this procedure multiple times, but it did not work for me.
Wisdomseeker71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 09:49 AM   #12
Community Volunteering
 
teetertotter's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Janesville, WI
Posts: 107
Default

I guess I was lucky this last time on one of my Panasonic Plasma's as I just unplugged the HDMI cable from the TV and re-inserted while everything stayed on.

The first time it happened on the same Plasma, it was the cheap $3.00 HDMI cable that went bad. Then upgraded to a more solid HDMI cable from AVR to TV HDMI 1.

If that did not work, I also would have unplugged in the back of the AVR and re-inserted. If HDMI 1 would still not work on the TV, then would go to HDMI 2 and 3 on the TV.

Next step would have been a HDMI cable from cable box directly to the TV, which would have been a different HDMI cable.

That TV is 5+ years old and in the basement man cave. I guess I ended up with a bad cable and or a bad contact in both instances.
__________________
COMPONENTS: Vizio E50-C1, Two - 48" Panasonic Plasma's[720p], Sony Players, Logitech 650 Remote
AVR: 2015 DENON AVR-S910W 7.2, 4K, w DTS, Wireless Internet, HDMI Cables w 18Gbps
SUBWOOFER: Yamaha 8" CTR: JBL EC-35, MAIN: JBL ES30 SURR: JBL E10
AT&T U-Verse: U450 w 3 Wireless DVR's, 45Mbps Internet Speed + Phone, 2 yr contract price
VOLUNTEER: YWCA Women's Domestic Violence Shelter w Children & The Boys/Girls Club
teetertotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 07:22 AM   #13
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiposeOne View Post
Right, hello, first post and its a question that has stumped me for the last 24 hours.

My 26" Vizio - aged three years - recently became the conductor for my BluRay player and my (beautiful) XBox 360, both of which had HDMI ports, which I was quite excited about.

When I plugged in both, the BluRay player didn't work in port 2! It kept telling me "Not Support!" So I searched around here for an answer, didn't get one, and figured I'd ignore it because, to my knowledge, I'd never before used port 2 and it wasn't a big deal to switch the HDMI cable for the rare chance that I wanted to watch a BluRay movie.

This was a month ago that I tired port 2.

Fastforward to last night, when I plugged in my BluRay and ... well ... I got no sound. I plugged it into the XBox and still no sound. I plugged it into my computer, and still no sound.

The last sound-working thing plugged into the HDMI port 1 was my computer, so I tried going back again to see if that would work. Nope.

I reset the TV, went into my XBox and chose all the different sound options, and I still can't get it to work. I unplugged it for 24 hours in hope that it would solve itself and I still get no luck.

I also have not found anything around the forum, which is why I have decided to ask specifically.

Prior to this, my TV has never, ever, ever acted up or been mistreated. I transport it in my frequent moves in the box it came in with all the packaging.

Please help. I'm like most people - I cant afford a new TV and this is my baby.
HI! This a common problem with newer TVs. HDMI ports are part of a main board, I've seen this problem quite few times, in your case the main board need to be replaced, and all your HDMI will get back to normal. Before you order it, get a Part Number of the main board and the replacement is easy and very straightforward.All the best. JOE.
ImRizzo likes this.
__________________
www.tulsatvrepair.biz
rprman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 11:56 AM   #14
What is HD?
 

Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1
Default

I created an account to just say thank you!! The fix worked for my tv. The hdmi ports never worked and knock on wood they work now.

Had this tv for 3+ years and have had to use component input.

Thanks!!!!!!
Litterbaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:57 AM   #15
JHP
What is HD?
 

Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1
Default I have same problem with HDMI on Vizio TV - not support message

I have an older VIZIO TV and when I plug in my Macbook Pro HDMI cable to the TV I get a image on the screen that is only on my computer screensaver image like the mountain scene using MAC OS system. It does not display the current TV screen ever. So the connection is working, but not showing current image that is displayed on the computer screen. I do get the message "Not Support", but if the connection is working but not showing computer screen??? - also the screensaver image changes if I disconnect the HDMI and reconnect it???? I tried changing the HDMI inputs on TV and get the same results.

I tried a new TV and the HDMI connection works flawlessly showing exactly what is on the computer screen so it is not a problem with the computer.
JHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > High Definition Viewing Mediums, HDTVs > Flat-Panel TVs
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:44 AM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2004 - 2008, High Def Forum