High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > High Definition Viewing Mediums, HDTVs > Flat-Panel TVs
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

Flat-Panel TVs Plasma, LCD RSS - Flat-Panel TVs

Like Tree1Likes

LCD vs Plasma who rules?

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2009, 03:01 PM   #91
A couch and an HDTV to go please.
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofthesith View Post
ok pretty much two questions Is plasma tech getting any better or is it good as it is? What is the lowest size plasma that I can get and still see the real difference in HD and Blue ray from normal dvd? any suggestions for a brand
I currently own a samsung 32 720p 60 hrtz but want to get something bigger for the living room and put this one in the bedroom have an HD A20, Xbox HD drive and will soon have a PS3..... any help would be appriciated
I would say a 46" would make you see a difference.
boyfr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:02 PM   #92
Viva Las Vegas
 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Las Vegas winter/Nanaimo summer
Posts: 85
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves2Watch View Post
Because the salespersons at Best But and the like push LCD's due to major incentives given them by the manufacturers.
If that is true, and I have no reason to believe it isn't, it would explain everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves2Watch View Post
Plus, most (salespersons) are not well educated in the different technologies. If they were plasma TV's would be flying out the door.

That could explain some of it, but not ALL consumers are uninformed and not ALL sales reps are dishonest (although you might not think so from reading this forum). Sales people and retailers are in business to make money and they can't do that if they don't sell. If a buyer wants LCD, he gets LCD - the rep isn't going to talk him out of it or, worse, imply that he is stupid for making that choice.

The general preference for LCD technology is a trend, and once these things get rolling they develop a life of their own and inertia that becomes unstoppable.
trapper43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:24 PM   #93
A couch and an HDTV to go please.
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper43 View Post
If that is true, and I have no reason to believe it isn't, it would explain everything




That could explain some of it, but not ALL consumers are uninformed and not ALL sales reps are dishonest (although you might not think so from reading this forum). Sales people and retailers are in business to make money and they can't do that if they don't sell. If a buyer wants LCD, he gets LCD - the rep isn't going to talk him out of it or, worse, imply that he is stupid for making that choice.

The general preference for LCD technology is a trend, and once these things get rolling they develop a life of their own and inertia that becomes unstoppable.
I kinda find it hard to believe that a lot Companies are pushing LCD on anyone, when Companies themselves have dropped out of the Plasma market altogether or are making less of them

Look at Pioneer, they were the top dog when it came to Plasma, and look at them now, they no longer make them, WHY? Honestly if Plasma was going to last much longer then a few more years and was the best product out there then why would the best maker of Plasma's throw the towel in, just think about it.

From reading this article it just leans more towards are market that will be dominated by LCD, like it or not. There has to be a reason, it may be more peple buy LCD and prefer LCD, wouldn't ya think.
Quote:
Pioneer: No more Kuro TVs

Pioneer's announcement will put an end to a TV brand that's consistently been at the top of Consumer Reports' plasma TV Ratings (available to subscribers). The company's newer line of Kuro plasma TVs drew acclaim for industry-leading black levels, and prototypes indicated further improvements and razor-thin designs. The company didn't make LCD TVs, but was expected to introduce its first models, sourced from Sharp, later this year—something that now will not happen.

For Pioneer fans, this might be a great time to get a set if you're satisfied that the company will deliver on its promise of continued support. According to a report in the trade publication Consumer Electronics Daily, Pioneer recently dropped minimum advertised price (MAP) requirements on its premium Elite-brand products, and began allowing Internet sales, something it had previously prohibited. It also has widened distribution through warehouse clubs. For example, on Costco's website, we found the 50-inch PDP-5020FD for $1,999, and the 60-inch PDP-6020FD, which was priced at $5,500 in CR's latest Ratings of plasma TVs (available to subscribers), for $3,800. On Amazon, OneCall had the Pioneer Elite Pro-111FD for $3,000; it's listed for $5,000 in the latest CR Ratings. Butterfly Photo had it for $2,839, the cheapest price we found.

The company also said that it was considering several options for its Blu-ray and DVD player business, including the formation of a joint venture. The obvious partner would be Sharp, which took an almost 15-percent stake in Pioneer last year. Going forward, the company said it would focus its home electronics business in three areas: audio products, DJ equipment, and cable TV set-top boxes.

Vizio: Focus is on LCDs

Unlike Pioneer, which is exiting the TV business entirely, Vizio is dropping plasma to focus on LCD TVs, which now represent 90 percent of the TV market. While, the company became established with basic TV models selling at very low prices, its more recent focus has been on offering step-up technologies, such as 120Hz refresh rates and even LED backlighting, at prices well below competitors.

If you're looking for Vizio plasma bargains, you may already be out of luck. We had a hard time even finding the two models in our Ratings—the 1080p 50-inch VP503FHDTV10A and the 720p VP422HDTV10A. And the few models we did find weren't priced lower than the average selling prices listed in our Ratings.

Though it's narrowing its TV focus, Vizio is broadening its product lineup beyond TVs. For example, the company is now selling a soundbar speaker system, and plans to sell its first Blu-ray player, a BD-Live model priced at $199.

We'll be monitoring the plasma TV business to see where the technology is headed. With just three major manufacturers remaining, we wonder if the plasma business will mirror what we've already seen happen in the rear-projection market, where just a single supplier remains.

Whoever said Plasma sell more then LCD is also incorrect and crazy..

Quote:
Plasma Fights as Sales Slip in 2009
Story link: Plasma Fights as Sales Slip in 2009 by Franz Bicar

Bookmark and Share

plasma-tvWhoever told VIZIO and Pioneer to leave the Plasma market is a genius. This decision makes sense now as sales of plasma display panels are slipping down 22 percent in the first quarter of 2009. This is a big decrease in sales as compared with the same period last year. From quarter to quarter, demand for plasma screens dropped by 28 percent.

With the on-going economic crisis, the decline in Plasma sales is the latest blow to a business that is already gasping for air and has had its share of ups and downs. Even LG Electronics, one of only three major plasma-makers remaining in the field, is fighting off rumors that it’s getting out of the game.

On the other side of the fence, LCDs are selling better. According to some estimates, manufacturers are selling seven times as many LCD units as plasma displays. This simply means that companies still on the Plasma bandwagon might also close shop soon.

Across the plasma market, Panasonic enjoyed the strongest performance this past quarter, snagging 37 percent of plasma panel shipments worldwide. Samsung came in second with 31 percent, and LG followed with 26 percent.

The best weapon plasma has in its battle against LCD may be size. Plasma displays in diagonal sizes of greater than 50 inches were the only plasmas to see significant growth during the early months of 2009. The larger-size models, analysts say, tend to be where plasma displays offer the most competitive pricing against LCD alternatives.

Industry experts expect to see plasma companies focus on technology improvements to score more sales in coming months. With the LCD market suffering losses of its own right now, it’s far too soon to count plasma out.

Last edited by boyfr22; 12-01-2009 at 03:31 PM.
boyfr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:49 PM   #94
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
daleb's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 7,657
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyfr22 View Post
.

If you wanna make yourself believe that Plasma' sells better provide a link with facts that this is true, because I don;t think it is.
I did NOT say that, I said this:

"since LCDs outsell plasma by a noticeable margin. "

There are many differing opinions on which technology is better. If you have been reading the topics all along you would know the plus and minuses of all technologies have been discussed over and over again

Nobody is being coerced into believing one is better than another. You get educated on your own, don't leave that to sales people who may or not know better. In other words don't leave anything to chance. And then make a decision based on what works best for you.
__________________
Samsung PN50A650 plasma, Arcam AVR350, Dali Ikon6 (Vokal2&OnWalls), Outlaw Audio LFM-1EX sub, Anti-Mode 8033B, Oppo Digital BDP-83SE, Roku Digital, Furman Elite power conditioner

Last edited by daleb; 12-01-2009 at 03:55 PM.
daleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:55 PM   #95
Former Super Moderator - RIP
 
PFC5's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Mass
Posts: 38,295
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyfr22 View Post
I'm not bashing Plasmas at all, because I own a 50" LG Plasma. guess you didn't think of that. I also own a Sony 46" LCD. So I see both hand. To be frank I enjoy my LCD more, I do a lot of gaming and gaming is much better on an LCD then Plasma IMO. I also own a Sony 46" LCD.

If you wanna make yourself believe that Plasma' sells better provide a link with facts that this is true, because I don;t think it is. Like another user mentioned before If Plasma were so popular and selling like hot cakes then why are there starting to be less of them in stores and there prices are dropping. Also why is that when reading HIGH DEF magazines and news there always talk about how Plasma is fazing out.
Many of us own both and if you read those HT mags, you would see that the plasmas do better in OBJECTIVE testing.

You can call it opinion all you want, but the facts are the facts. You are also using the worst plasma mfg as your example of what plasma can do. My friend went through 3 LG plasmas and they are not even close to the bottom 1080p Panasonic plasma sold in 2008. Not even CLOSE.
__________________
Denon AVR-887
Klipsch RP-5 Pwred Towers (mains) (525 watts peak each 12"Subs)
All Klipsch RC-25(ctr),(2)SS1(surr),(2)SS1(rearSurr)
Toshiba (2)HD-A20,PS3,BD35
For SACD/DVD-A Samsung HD-841
Panny 50pz80u plasma
SETTINGS
RCA HD50LPW162 50"DLP w/HD2+
SA 3250HD
47" LCD+Yamaha5790+HD-A1(bedroom)
Harmony 680 + (2) 670s (amazing remote/support)
Game room with Onkyo receiver & B&W Speakers
The_Cable_Game
Take the high ground and be happier
PSN: PFC5
PFC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:03 PM   #96
Former Super Moderator - RIP
 
PFC5's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Mass
Posts: 38,295
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyfr22 View Post
I kinda find it hard to believe that a lot Companies are pushing LCD on anyone, when Companies themselves have dropped out of the Plasma market altogether or are making less of them

Look at Pioneer, they were the top dog when it came to Plasma, and look at them now, they no longer make them, WHY? Honestly if Plasma was going to last much longer then a few more years and was the best product out there then why would the best maker of Plasma's throw the towel in, just think about it.

From reading this article it just leans more towards are market that will be dominated by LCD, like it or not. There has to be a reason, it may be more peple buy LCD and prefer LCD, wouldn't ya think.
[b]

Whoever said Plasma sell more then LCD is also incorrect and crazy..
Pioneer got out of the DISPLAY business and not just the plasma business. That is an important distinction.

They got out of it because they couldn't compete on prices with Panasonic plasmas. Vizio got out of the plasma market because they sold more LCDs since they sell in big box stores that are as bright as daylight and THAT is a major factor in what people see in the store when making a decision. I have never been in someone's home that is that bright, but THAT is where LCD should be bought instead of plasma along with for computer monitor use.

They sell a lot of small screen sizes for LCD also that plasma does make, so that distorts the margins between the two techs.
__________________
Denon AVR-887
Klipsch RP-5 Pwred Towers (mains) (525 watts peak each 12"Subs)
All Klipsch RC-25(ctr),(2)SS1(surr),(2)SS1(rearSurr)
Toshiba (2)HD-A20,PS3,BD35
For SACD/DVD-A Samsung HD-841
Panny 50pz80u plasma
SETTINGS
RCA HD50LPW162 50"DLP w/HD2+
SA 3250HD
47" LCD+Yamaha5790+HD-A1(bedroom)
Harmony 680 + (2) 670s (amazing remote/support)
Game room with Onkyo receiver & B&W Speakers
The_Cable_Game
Take the high ground and be happier
PSN: PFC5
PFC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:50 PM   #97
pappylap
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Anyone who strictly looks at sales numbers in an effort to judge which is the "better" technology is a fool look at what drives the numbers and you begin to understand how they are so lopsided in favor of LCD...

point 1. No plasma displays are available below 42" & there is a huge market out there looking for 37" screens and smaller to fit in home entertainment centers already in the home....If all displays were 42" and above the sales numbers would be much closer to even....

point 2. Very few plasmas are available at Wally world and the like...
Jim Bob n' Thelma Lou dont kick the dogs out of the trailer and shuffel off to Walmart to buy what one would consider a top of the line display.... "They just go get them a HDTV as cheaply as possible!", Dont want to cut too deeply into the beer and cigarette money.........
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:00 PM   #98
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
gamebred's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 298
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyfr22 View Post
from reading this thread, I think a lot of you are being a little bias when voting for Plasma due the fact that you obvious own one, and maybe you bought one when they were really expensive and your just trashing LCD a tad to much to make you feel better about your purchase. I mean the new LCD technology in most new sets are pretty much on par with plasma or even maybe exceeds it in some sets.

Some of you shouldn't bash one because you own the other. In the end it comes down to personal preference, and your opinions are not facts, thats why we are entitled to our own opinions. It's not a FACT that Plasmas are better, it's just your opinion.

You're doing exactly the same thing you are complaining about.

Did you even read any of this thread?

...and about your Pioneer theory, PFC5 already explained why Pioneer stopped thier display production.

Ignorant masses. You would be ignorant yourself not see that the average joe has a plastic TV sitting in his living room playing in "torch mode" because they are "trendy" and abundant. You can even find LCDs at Biglots these days. I'm not saying all LCDs suck, they do well enough for people that watch in sunrooms. They also make good computer monitors. They are also the only option for those that need a display less than 42".

Alot of people that come to boards like this are usually looking for the best display with the best overall picture quality within thier price range. They want to learn. Why are you here again?
__________________
*19" floor model Zenith(color)* no need for surround sound just yet because the speakers on my TV haven't completely deteriated yet (thanks to duct tape) and there seems to be a lack of S-video and composites * 3 way co-ax splitter to run components * GE VCR (top spring loaded) * UHS antenna (bow tie) * Atari * tabletop tuner with cord running to the tube and 33 channels of glorious SD.
gamebred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:37 PM   #99
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 132
Default

I took the plunge tonight and ordered a new TV. Even after spending a number of months lurking here, and reading about all the benefits of Plasma over LCD, I settled on the Samsung LN46B630.

In my case, we have somewhat bright lighting in the living room during the day, and we don't want to have to constantly keep the curtains closed to watch TV. In addition, the light coming in through the large windows (and to a lesser extent room lighting at night) has always created a reflection issue on our current CRT. The '630 has a matte screen, and is our best chance of reducing that annoying glare.

If I was putting together a home theater in a room with controlled lighting, I would have opted for that nice Panasonic 'G10 they had on display......
ddeerrff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:46 PM   #100
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 94
Default

@boyfr22

I didn't take the time to read through everything you posted, but i did read enough to know that your ignorance on the matter is the same ignorance many people have concerning consumer HDTV's. The majority of people buying LCD's over plasmas don't even know the difference between plasma and lcd, and most don't care to know. Others are just misinformed. This is why so many more lcds are sold than plasmas, because there are that many more misinformed/uneducated consumers than consumers in the know. And then there are those who's only choice is lcd, due to sunlight/lighting issues. For them, an lcd is better suited. But that's not what were talking about here.

And yes, it is a fact that the best rated consumer hdtvs for overall picture quality are consistently plasmas. If you would've done some research before you posted, you most likely would've never posted this nonsense.

Last edited by staindrocks; 12-02-2009 at 01:07 AM.
staindrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:15 AM   #101
Viva Las Vegas
 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Las Vegas winter/Nanaimo summer
Posts: 85
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappylap View Post
Anyone who strictly looks at sales numbers in an effort to judge which is the "better" technology is a fool look at what drives the numbers and you begin to understand how they are so lopsided in favor of LCD...
No one has said that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappylap View Post
point 1. No plasma displays are available below 42" & there is a huge market out there looking for 37" screens and smaller to fit in home entertainment centers already in the home....If all displays were 42" and above the sales numbers would be much closer to even....
I don't think you can find any evidence to support this.


Quote:
Originally Posted by pappylap View Post
point 2. Very few plasmas are available at Wally world and the like...
Jim Bob n' Thelma Lou dont kick the dogs out of the trailer and shuffel off to Walmart to buy what one would consider a top of the line display.... "They just go get them a HDTV as cheaply as possible!", Dont want to cut too deeply into the beer and cigarette money.........
Pappy - you are xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Last edited by PFC5; 12-02-2009 at 04:27 PM. Reason: removed derogatory remark
trapper43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:48 AM   #102
Former Super Moderator - RIP
 
PFC5's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Mass
Posts: 38,295
Default

Can you find a current model plasma that is less than 42"? I know Panasonic had one listed on their web site but I have never seen it actually for sale ANYWHERE.
__________________
Denon AVR-887
Klipsch RP-5 Pwred Towers (mains) (525 watts peak each 12"Subs)
All Klipsch RC-25(ctr),(2)SS1(surr),(2)SS1(rearSurr)
Toshiba (2)HD-A20,PS3,BD35
For SACD/DVD-A Samsung HD-841
Panny 50pz80u plasma
SETTINGS
RCA HD50LPW162 50"DLP w/HD2+
SA 3250HD
47" LCD+Yamaha5790+HD-A1(bedroom)
Harmony 680 + (2) 670s (amazing remote/support)
Game room with Onkyo receiver & B&W Speakers
The_Cable_Game
Take the high ground and be happier
PSN: PFC5
PFC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 01:02 AM   #103
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 94
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper43 View Post
No one has said that.
Yes, many have said that...and in the least, many imply it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper43 View Post
I don't think you can find any evidence to support this.
So you're saying that hdtv's under 42" don't make up a significant portion of overall hdtv sales? Most people could come to that conclusion without needing "proof". Those who do could easily see how that might skew the results of plasma vs lcd overall sales.


Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper43 View Post
Pappy - you are one ignorant son of a bitch.
Maybe...but SO true! Politically correct or not, it is the truth. You think the majority of consumers who do 95% of their shopping from Walmart research a product before going to the store and buying the cheapest, shiniest tv they see. If you think yes, then you're wrong about that, too.
staindrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 04:05 AM   #104
Former Super Moderator
 
Loves2Watch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: In Flux
Posts: 20,284
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper43 View Post
Pappy - you are one ignorant son of a bitch.
The ignorance showing here is not that of pappylap...
__________________
It's always time for pie
Live everyday as if it was your last and plan on living forever...
Loves2Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 07:34 AM   #105
pappylap
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper43 View Post
No one has said that.



Quote:
I don't think you can find any evidence to support this.
Oh, I think most forum members who have been here long enough to understand anything about HDTV would agree with my claim...

Quote:
Pappy - you are one ignorant son of a bitch.
Whats the matter Trapper, insult land too close to home?

Tell ya what Trapper, just go on down to Walmart with your sister/wife and your sons and pick you out a nice shiny new TV.

You halfwit.

Here I thought you may need this:
half-wit [half-wit, hahf-] –noun 1. a person who is feeble-minded.
2. a person who is foolish or senseless; dunderhead.

Last edited by PFC5; 12-02-2009 at 04:24 PM. Reason: edited out derogatory comments
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > High Definition Viewing Mediums, HDTVs > Flat-Panel TVs
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads to LCD vs Plasma who rules?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help choosing first HDTV thechamp4ever Flat-Panel TVs 39 12-11-2013 04:15 PM
52" tv crazyboy515 Flat-Panel TVs 8 11-25-2009 11:33 PM
Why more LCD than Plasma? gosmosis Flat-Panel TVs 63 11-23-2009 12:15 PM
Plasma vs. CRT Projection - Burn-In BigCN401 Flat-Panel TVs 10 03-29-2005 09:30 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:34 PM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2004 - 2008, High Def Forum