High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > High Definition Programming Providers > DISH Network Forum
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

DISH Network Forum Discuss and learn about Dish Network High Definition Satellite TV. Do not put referral code posts in this forum as they will be treated as SPAM. Thank you.RSS - DISH Network Forum

Voom/OTA antenna

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2005, 02:07 PM   #1
How can anyone watch standard def?
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 27
Default Voom/OTA antenna

I currently have the 811 reciever and I have two dishes because I am receiving CBS HD out of LA as well as the HD package. I am interested in adding the Voom channels, which I have already been told I need another dish for, as well as buying a new rooftop antenna so I can get my local channels OTA, which I currently get through the dish but not in HD. I have found out through antennaweb that I need a large directional antenna with a pre-amp, since my local channels are about 60 miles away. My question is two-fold: One, can anyone out there in a similar situation recommend a good antenna and pre-amp; and two, since I am not very mechanically inclined, if I called dishnet and ordered the extra dish for the voom channels, would they install and hook-up the new antenna at the same time for me for an extra fee?

Any feed back on this would be greatly apprecited!!

Last edited by esmith1515; 08-30-2005 at 02:10 PM.
esmith1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 02:46 PM   #2
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
daleb's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 7,657
Default

You may want to see if a local Dish installer will also do an outdoor TV antenna. Dish will normally have nothing to do that, but may recommend an installer. You are on your own for OTA as far as they are concerned, but can use their receivers for tuning them in.
__________________
Samsung PN50A650 plasma, Arcam AVR350, Dali Ikon6 (Vokal2&OnWalls), Outlaw Audio LFM-1EX sub, Anti-Mode 8033B, Oppo Digital BDP-83SE, Roku Digital, Furman Elite power conditioner
daleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 10:30 AM   #3
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 398
Default

You may need a deep fringe VHF/UHF antenna which can be quite large. Here's the reason why. Below is a list of LA channels and although all of them have digital counterparts in the UHF range. My concern is after analog channels end their transmission any remaining digital channel between 52-69 must use another frequency.

See entries in red, The dark orange are not of major concern because they don't deal with VHF.

The biggest problem would be channel 2 (which requires the largest antenna). Also channel 62 will need another frequency because it can't use 68 anymore. Investigate this situation before choosing an antenna and update your findings.

Los Angeles
KCOP UPN 13.n 66
KTLA WB 5.n 31
KVCR-TV PBS 24.n 26
KOCE-TV PBS 50.n 48
KLCS PBS 58.n 41
KCET PBS 28.n 59
KNBC NBC 4.n 36
KMEX-TV Univision 34.n 35
KVEA Telemundo 52.n 39
KJLA IND 57.n 49
KSCI IND 18.n 61
KWHY-TV IND 22.n 42
KVMD-DT IND 23.n 23
KTTV FOX 11.n 65
KDOC-TV IND 56.n 32
KCAL-TV IND 9.n 43
KRCA-TV IND 62.n 68
KXLA IND 44.n 51
KABC-TV ABC 7.n 53
KCBS-TV CBS 2.n 60
jergenf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 11:13 AM   #4
How can anyone watch standard def?
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 27
Default

I am in central California, so I will be concerned with the Bakersfield and Fresno channels, which are both around 60 miles away in opposite directions. I know I will basically need the biggest antenna I can find, with a preamp. There is an old antenna on my roof right now, but when I used a connector and some coaxial cable and connected it, the reception was terrible.
esmith1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 01:29 PM   #5
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 398
Default

Your in luck practically all UHF the only slight concern is KAIL which may remain as cahnnel 7. You can of course go with the biggest VHF/UHF antenna but I think the CM4228 UHF antenna would work nicely. It's an 8 bay bowtie antenna mounted on a 40 inch square grid. It's the most powerfull and directional UHF antenna plus it also gets good gain levels on channels 9-13 and decent reception for channel 7 and 8 (not recommended for 2-6 or FM). You'll need a preamp (perhaps 28db that amplifies VHF and UHF). You'll need a rotor of course. Some people may suggest you remove the metal grid in order to make the antenna bi-directional (assuming the cities are 180 degrees from each other thus no rotor needed). But don't do that because that's the secret on why this UHF antenna also picks up chans 7-13, the grid causes harmonic reflections in that range. If you absolutely demand the best then two/four CM4228 antennas can be formed into a 16/32 bay antenna but that's an advanced topic.

If you really want to test your existing antenna and have a portable or battery operated TV then bypass the coax and connect a short coax and balon to the TV right on the roof (clean/sandpaper the contacts where you connect the balon). Loosen the antenna so you can aim it in different directions. Run test during daytime and nightime hours if all channels come in consistantly even if there's snow it still may work for digital. If extremely ghosty that not a good sign. Pay most attention to the UHF channels. Digital reception is very different from analog but if you can't get analog at all then you may have problems with digital. If you don't have a portable TV for testing then run a new coax and you may want to include a preamp. You may need a second person with a walkie-talkie to move the antenna arround else frequent trips to the roof will be required. Use good quality RG6 coax because this is where line loss occurs. You'll need new coax and preamp whether you keep the existing antenna or buy a new one.

Bakersfield
KBAK-TV CBS 29.n 33
KERO-TV ABC 23.n 10
KGET NBC 17.n 25
KUVI-TV UPN 45.n 55

Fresno-Visalia
KVPT PBS 18.n 40
KTFF TFT 61.n 48
KAIL UPN 53.n 7
KFRE-TV WB 59.n 36
KSEE NBC 24.n 16
KGMC IND 43.n 44
KFTV Univision 21.n 20
KNXT-TV Educational 49.n 50
KMPH FOX 26.n 28
KFSN-TV ABC 30.n 9
KGPE CBS 47.n 34
jergenf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 02:09 PM   #6
How can anyone watch standard def?
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 27
Default

Thanks a bunch for all the information. I will take a tv up on the roof and check it out. I think the problem was in the old 75 ohm wire when I tried to connect it to the coax cable wire. I could get some decent analog reception, but the highest the digital signal got through my 811 was 49%. It's pointed towards Fresno right now and it said it found 2 digital channels. My gut feeling is, with a preamp, my existing antenna may work. I guess I would need a rotor if I wanted to turn the antenna towards Bakersfield. Am I right in assuming that I will be able to get all the primetime shows that are broadcast in HD on the major networks, regardless of whether it is pointed towards Bakersfield or Fresno?
esmith1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 02:35 PM   #7
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
daleb's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 7,657
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith1515
I am in central California, so I will be concerned with the Bakersfield and Fresno channels, which are both around 60 miles away in opposite directions. I know I will basically need the biggest antenna I can find, with a preamp. There is an old antenna on my roof right now, but when I used a connector and some coaxial cable and connected it, the reception was terrible.
I'm in east Clovis, and picking up the 3 major networks + PBS with a Silver Sensor indoor antenna.
__________________
Samsung PN50A650 plasma, Arcam AVR350, Dali Ikon6 (Vokal2&OnWalls), Outlaw Audio LFM-1EX sub, Anti-Mode 8033B, Oppo Digital BDP-83SE, Roku Digital, Furman Elite power conditioner
daleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 04:29 PM   #8
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 398
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith1515
Thanks a bunch for all the information. I will take a tv up on the roof and check it out. I think the problem was in the old 75 ohm wire when I tried to connect it to the coax cable wire. I could get some decent analog reception, but the highest the digital signal got through my 811 was 49%. It's pointed towards Fresno right now and it said it found 2 digital channels. My gut feeling is, with a preamp, my existing antenna may work. I guess I would need a rotor if I wanted to turn the antenna towards Bakersfield. Am I right in assuming that I will be able to get all the primetime shows that are broadcast in HD on the major networks, regardless of whether it is pointed towards Bakersfield or Fresno?
Hopefully new coax and a preamp should help boost the signal levels way beyond 49%. If the nearest station is 50+ miles you can get a 28db preamp without fear of overload.

If your antenna is a directional type then you need to be pointed at the correct city in order to get reception. However if the cities are directly opposite from each other some antennas have lousy front/back rejection and may pickup both cities anyway. Generally that's a bad thing for analog but could save you buying a rotor for digital. After you get new coax and preamp run some tests in different directions and find out if you really need a rotor or not.
Also Bakersfield may just be a repeat programming situation of Fresno-Visalia area but bare in mind off hours and sporting events the cities could run different programs.


Not all digital stations show HD but the chances are good for all major network affiliates. In my city "Rochester NY" 4 out of 5 show HD. My CBS station will be HD in the (hopefully near) future. Fox and PBS is always sending HD here while ABC and NBC sometimes show in HD.
jergenf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 08:50 PM   #9
A couch and an HDTV to go please.
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 11
Default Los Angeles HD stations

Quote:
Originally Posted by jergenf
You may need a deep fringe VHF/UHF antenna which can be quite large. Here's the reason why. Below is a list of LA channels and although all of them have digital counterparts in the UHF range. My concern is after analog channels end their transmission any remaining digital channel between 52-69 must use another frequency.

See entries in red, The dark orange are not of major concern because they don't deal with VHF.

The biggest problem would be channel 2 (which requires the largest antenna). Also channel 62 will need another frequency because it can't use 68 anymore. Investigate this situation before choosing an antenna and update your findings.

Los Angeles
KCOP UPN 13.n 66
KTLA WB 5.n 31
KVCR-TV PBS 24.n 26
KOCE-TV PBS 50.n 48
KLCS PBS 58.n 41
KCET PBS 28.n 59
KNBC NBC 4.n 36
KMEX-TV Univision 34.n 35
KVEA Telemundo 52.n 39
KJLA IND 57.n 49
KSCI IND 18.n 61
KWHY-TV IND 22.n 42
KVMD-DT IND 23.n 23
KTTV FOX 11.n 65
KDOC-TV IND 56.n 32
KCAL-TV IND 9.n 43
KRCA-TV IND 62.n 68
KXLA IND 44.n 51
KABC-TV ABC 7.n 53
KCBS-TV CBS 2.n 60
I have a radio shack uhf antenna and pick up all Los Angelws HD stations...I live In Camarillo Calif about 60 miles from Mt Wilson
lloyd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 08:55 PM   #10
A couch and an HDTV to go please.
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 11
Default Los Angeles HD Stations

I have a radio shack UHF antenna cost abut $29 and I receive all hd stations from LA.. I live in Camarillo Calif about 60 miles from MT Wilson...I have a Sony HD 42 in television.....
lloyd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 06:30 AM   #11
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 398
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd24
I have a radio shack UHF antenna cost abut $29 and I receive all hd stations from LA.. I live in Camarillo Calif about 60 miles from MT Wilson...I have a Sony HD 42 in television.....
Are you able to get the analog VHF for example channel 2 (see entries in red)? The concern was after 2006 when analog stations end their broadcasts some digital stations will revert back to their former frequencies. Those with UHF only antennas might have reception issues.
jergenf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > High Definition Programming Providers > DISH Network Forum
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads to Voom/OTA antenna
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need Ota Antenna Advice d1c1ple2 DISH Network Forum 11 05-01-2005 08:21 AM
Upgrading to HD and OTA antenna's mrb627 DISH Network Forum 10 01-22-2005 01:31 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:50 AM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2004 - 2008, High Def Forum