High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > High Definition Programming Providers > DirecTV Forum
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

DirecTV Forum Discuss and learn about DirecTV High Definition Satellite TV. RSS - DirecTV Forum

Upgrading Equipment

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012, 12:53 PM   #1
My plasma is High Def.
 

Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 5
Default Upgrading Equipment

New to the forum and have already learned more than I ever expected in a matter of 2 days. So thanks for that.

I have had DTV for 12.5 years. I have a HR 21-700 and the original SD? box from 12.5 years ago. I recently voiced my displeasure with not getting any upgraded equipment for my two other HD TV's in the house. I expressed this all in email. Here is what they offered me.

Thank you for writing back. I understand your concerns with the monthly cost that would apply for upgrading on your account. I can certainly address your concerns for this today.

In reviewing your account and service, I show you have several different exceptional offers for equipment upgrade available to you. You can select from one of the following options for upgrade at this time.

2 DIRECTV® HD Receivers $0, Whole Home DVR Upgrade w/ Cinema Connection Kit $99
2 DIRECTV® HD Receivers $0, Whole Home DVR Upgrade $99
1 DIRECTV® HD Receiver $0, Whole Home DVR Upgrade w/ Cinema Connection Kit $99
1 DIRECTV® HD Receiver $0, Whole Home DVR Upgrade $99
1 DIRECTV® HD-DVR $0, HD Receiver $0, Whole Home DVR w/ Cinema Connection Kit for $99
1 DIRECTV® HD-DVR $0, HD Receiver $0, Whole Home DVR $99
1 DIRECTV® HD-DVR $0, Whole Home DVR w/ Cinema Connection Kit for $99
1 DIRECTV® HD-DVR $0, Whole Home DVR $99

These offers are limited time offers and do expire for service options. Since you already have a HD DVR on your account you are subscribed to the Advanced Receiver HD and DVR services monthly. With the upgrades above this wouldn't change that service. However, if you do select a Whole Home DVR Service upgrade option this would require the Whole Home DVR Service monthly at $3 on your account. The Cinema Connection Kit option adds a connection to your existing home network from our equipment. This provides you with the ability to use DIRECTV on DEMAND as well as many other network features. There is no monthly cost for this service to be used on your account.

You currently have 3 active receivers for use in your home. If you upgrade equipment and are planning to replace your current receivers with this then there would be no additional cost monthly. However, if you are planning on keeping one or more of the current receivers and adding these as additional to your service viewing then there will be an Additional TV fee monthly at $6 to your account. This is for each additional receiver in use outside of your primary receiver.

All equipment orders do have a $19.95 delivery and handling fee and a $0-$49 installation fee. Upon activation of advanced equipment there is a 24 month programming agreement required. This requires you to maintain a minimum service level at $29.99 or above for 24 consecutive months of service. If the terms of this agreement are not completed a cancellation fee of up to $480 is applied.







After reading some of the posts, some new some old, I see that I might be able to do better than what was offered through the email above. Do they take into account how long that you have been a loyal customer? Any advice on what I should specifically ask for or what I should get and for how much?

Basically just looking for some advice on what and how to say to the CSR when I call or when they call me, which they actually have done once when I was not home and said they would try again. And for some advice if I get as far to the customer retention person.

Sorry for rambling but any and all help is much appreciated.
bobob1916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:21 PM   #2
WestDC
 
WestDC's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: EARTH
Posts: 2,242
Default

All you have to do is call and speak to a CSR-(NOT EMAIL) it's not D*'s fault that you have paid every month for 12.5 years for a SD receiver - CALL AS SEE WHAT YOU CAN GET.

The electric company doesn't call you to offer any upgrades,nor does the phone company - the bill comes you pay and they think you are happy - they (like you) are not mind readers.

Please call - and remember you can upgrade as much as your check book will allow.
__________________
I now know how the Iranians feel (those that don’t agree) with the ruling class.
WestDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:48 AM   #3
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,716
Default

A CSR is most likely not going to offer you much. They don't budge until you say, "I want to cancel my service". Then the offers start coming. It's a corporate game all the providers play. They will get every penny they can from you unless you put pressure on them.
lsilvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:29 AM   #4
My plasma is High Def.
 

Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestDC View Post
All you have to do is call and speak to a CSR-(NOT EMAIL) it's not D*'s fault that you have paid every month for 12.5 years for a SD receiver - CALL AS SEE WHAT YOU CAN GET.

The electric company doesn't call you to offer any upgrades,nor does the phone company - the bill comes you pay and they think you are happy - they (like you) are not mind readers.

Please call - and remember you can upgrade as much as your check book will allow.
Sorry I wasn't clear on that and that is my fault. When I voiced my displeasure I meant that I just bought a new LCD TV for the kitchen and wanted to upgrade the SD I already had there.

"Voiced my displeausre" was probably the wrong words to use. We had an old regular TV in the kitchen and had no use for an upgraded receiver until now.

Thanks for the help about the check book part because that is part of what I was looking for....the other is the prices they quoted....are they too high for what they are offering?
bobob1916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:07 PM   #5
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 301
Default

I called in and expressed my displeasure after asking when my contract was up. What did I get?

Refund of my NFL Ticket subscription for this year.
New Genie box, installation, Cinema kit (throughout the house, 4 receivers total), new SWM switch, etc.
$5 off each premium channel ($35 total) per month for the next 6 months.

Installed the next day. Total cost to me....$0. In fact, my current bill which was about $200 went down to $40.

Call and ask them when you can leave. Then let the offers fly!
golfchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:43 AM   #6
WestDC
 
WestDC's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: EARTH
Posts: 2,242
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobob1916 View Post
Sorry I wasn't clear on that and that is my fault. When I voiced my displeasure I meant that I just bought a new LCD TV for the kitchen and wanted to upgrade the SD I already had there.

"Voiced my displeausre" was probably the wrong words to use. We had an old regular TV in the kitchen and had no use for an upgraded receiver until now.

Thanks for the help about the check book part because that is part of what I was looking for....the other is the prices they quoted....are they too high for what they are offering?
Welcome to the Group- You can get a Discount on receivers whenever your ann date is you can check your online account Media center is $399 -Hddvr $199 HD receiver $99 SD receiver $49.

If you have not had a service call (recent) or in the last few years -they may need to pro install and check your whole install at the time of add or changing out a receiver.

Keep us posted.
__________________
I now know how the Iranians feel (those that don’t agree) with the ruling class.
WestDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:08 PM   #7
My plasma is High Def.
 

Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 5
Default

Talked to a lady in TN. Turns out she has been working for them since March and is originally from Minneapolis so we had a lot to talk about since I now live in Mineapolis. Best she could do for me was to give me 1 additional HD DVR, whole home DVR and free installation. When I asked about the HR-34 she told me it would be $299 plus $99 for each addt'l receiver for a total of $497. I said I can get the hopper for free from dish and a lot lower monthly cost and her response was "maybe that is the best way to go".

How long should I wait before I call back to try and get a rep. who can do something like some of the other deals I have seen people get? Thanks in advance.
bobob1916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:38 PM   #8
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,716
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobob1916 View Post
Talked to a lady in TN. Turns out she has been working for them since March and is originally from Minneapolis so we had a lot to talk about since I now live in Mineapolis. Best she could do for me was to give me 1 additional HD DVR, whole home DVR and free installation. When I asked about the HR-34 she told me it would be $299 plus $99 for each addt'l receiver for a total of $497. I said I can get the hopper for free from dish and a lot lower monthly cost and her response was "maybe that is the best way to go".

How long should I wait before I call back to try and get a rep. who can do something like some of the other deals I have seen people get? Thanks in advance.
I told you already. Don't waste your times with CSR's, you need to get retention. Tell them you want to cancel and they'll send you there. It's best to be ready to follow through, although even though you don't work out something with retention, you can change your mind. I don't know why you ignored my last response, but quit wasting everyone's time and try it.
lsilvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:46 PM   #9
My plasma is High Def.
 

Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsilvest View Post
I told you already. Don't waste your times with CSR's, you need to get retention. Tell them you want to cancel and they'll send you there. It's best to be ready to follow through, although even though you don't work out something with retention, you can change your mind. I don't know why you ignored my last response, but quit wasting everyone's time and try it.
I said cancel and then cancel and I assumed I was talking to retention I never asked for a CSR. Believe me I'm not trying to waste anybody's time. Like I said I said cancel and cancel at the prompts do they identify if they are a CSR or in the retention department?
bobob1916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:55 PM   #10
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,716
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobob1916 View Post
I said cancel and then cancel and I assumed I was talking to retention I never asked for a CSR. Believe me I'm not trying to waste anybody's time. Like I said I said cancel and cancel at the prompts do they identify if they are a CSR or in the retention department?
It doesn't sound like you were talking to retention. Ask who you are talking to and tell them you want to cancel - verbally. In all honesty, if that's the best even retention will offer you and you're not a big sports fan, I'd go with Dish.
lsilvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:39 PM   #11
My plasma is High Def.
 

Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsilvest View Post
It doesn't sound like you were talking to retention. Ask who you are talking to and tell them you want to cancel - verbally. In all honesty, if that's the best even retention will offer you and you're not a big sports fan, I'd go with Dish.
I am a big sports fan and have subscribed to the SportsPak for about 8 years now. No NFLST. Have subscribed to NHL and MLB in the past also.
bobob1916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:40 PM   #12
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 514
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestDC View Post
All you have to do is call and speak to a CSR-(NOT EMAIL) it's not D*'s fault that you have paid every month for 12.5 years for a SD receiver - CALL AS SEE WHAT YOU CAN GET.

The electric company doesn't call you to offer any upgrades,nor does the phone company - the bill comes you pay and they think you are happy - they (like you) are not mind readers.

Please call - and remember you can upgrade as much as your check book will allow.
What kind of "upgrades" does the electric company have that they don't call to offer you?
johns70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:25 PM   #13
WestDC
 
WestDC's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: EARTH
Posts: 2,242
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johns70 View Post
What kind of "upgrades" does the electric company have that they don't call to offer you?
Because they don't call you - You have to call them and see what they offer Depends on your local area(electric provider) as to offers

Just an Example : in my area the offer Water heater (Peak Off/ time meters) Whole home Surge protection (Installed behind the meter) among many other things.
__________________
I now know how the Iranians feel (those that don’t agree) with the ruling class.
WestDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > High Definition Programming Providers > DirecTV Forum
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads to Upgrading Equipment
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Upgrading Equipment DCTA256 DirecTV Forum 9 06-24-2010 05:18 PM
Upgrading to HD- Does new receiver come with HDMI cable andysly5 DISH Network Forum 6 11-22-2009 01:34 PM
Is Windows 7 worth upgrading to? Bay 6 Computers/HTPCs 84 09-23-2009 04:40 AM
Upgrading/Leasing???? steve51wv DirecTV Forum 20 04-01-2006 03:56 PM
Are you going to upgrade to the new MPEG4 equipment ?? lizardhowson DirecTV Forum 16 03-27-2006 09:25 PM
!!! Read before upgrading to 211!!! orod75 DISH Network Forum 36 02-15-2006 05:59 PM
upgrading to HDV editor from DV maicaw High Definition Cameras & High Definition Camcorders 22 01-22-2006 02:37 AM
Upgrading to HD and OTA antenna's mrb627 DISH Network Forum 10 01-22-2005 02:31 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:54 AM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright ©2004 - 2008, High Def Forum