High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > High Definition Programming Providers > DirecTV Forum
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

DirecTV Forum Discuss and learn about DirecTV High Definition Satellite TV. RSS - DirecTV Forum

i never new directv was so expensive!

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2010, 12:15 PM   #1
hd rules!!!!
 

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: COLUMBUS,OH.
Posts: 103
Default i never new directv was so expensive!

i have had time warner cable my whole life. well, recently just
for fun i decided to check out directv. i don't know why, but i
always thought that satellite tv must be way cheaper than
cable, i figured that is why people chose it, or they could not
get cable in their area so directtv was their only option.
so i went to the directv site and started with the choice extra,
hbo, protection package, ect.. i was absolutely astounded at the
incredible high cost of directtv. i am not trying to bash or
say anything negative, i was just shocked at how expensive it is
per month! with my time warner i have every hd channel you could
ever want/ i get 2 hd hbo channels/ i have roadrunner with a constant
18mb down/ hd dvr/ ect... i can drive to my local office an exchange my box any time i want, and in 25 years if i have 1 little problem they are out within 1 day at the most 2 days. my total bill with taxes is
$128.50/month. i guess i am just posting this because i was so taken aback by the price of directtv, but i guess it was just my ignorance. no disrespect to directtv.
__________________
hi -def rules!!!!!!!!!!!!
sonyman777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:04 PM   #2
HD-Can't live without it.
 
car421's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Indian Trail, NC
Posts: 254
Default

Don't know where you are getting those #'s from. Just put in the packages you mentioned , added 1 hddvr and 1 hd box and it comes out to around 71/month for the first year and then it goes up 10 for the next year. You can also get the hd fee of 10/month dropped if you use auto pay.
car421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:12 PM   #3
I bleed for HD
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 11,333
Default

Those numbers are what the op pays for cable and high speed internet TOGETHER not what Direct's costs are. The OP did not list Directs cost which they found to be too high. Once again reading comprehension folks.
__________________
HT- Panasonic TH-50PZ800U 1080p plasma, Panasonic PT-AX200u LCD projector, Elite Vmax Electric 100' screen, Pioneer Elite SC-71 AVR, Paradigm Titan Monitor v5 fronts, Paradigm CC-190 v6 center, Paradigm Atom Monitors v5 surrounds(x4), HSU research VTF-2 sub, HTPC/Gaming rig, Sony BDP-S550 blu-ray, Uverse HD-DVR, Roku 2

Bedroom: Insignia NS-lcd26, Samsung BDP-1400 blu-ray
Den - Vizio 20" 1080p LCD + Samsung BD-p1600


Don't believe everything you read on the internet - Albert Einstein
jkkyler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:14 PM   #4
hd rules!!!!
 

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: COLUMBUS,OH.
Posts: 103
Default

well, with directtv, the choice extra is 64.00/month
dvr service 7.00/month
hd service 10.00/month
hbo 15.00/month
4 recievers is 20.00/month
protection plan 5.99/month
that is 121.99, now you get 24.00 off per month
for 1 year. after the first year it seems like
it would be pretty high, but maybe i am wrong.
with cable all my non hd tv's can be connected
straight into the rg6 in the wall, no box is needed.
so like my guest room and and such they get full digital cable
with all the channels i just don't need to have cable boxes.
maybe the price isn't to bad, i for some dumb reason thought
it would be cheaper.
__________________
hi -def rules!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by sonyman777; 08-06-2010 at 01:18 PM.
sonyman777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:42 PM   #5
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 558
Default

If you look at a company like AT&T, their U-verse TV component is quite a bit cheaper than D*. But I took one look at the quality of their HD pictures, and their HD DVR, and I decided to take quality over price and stay with D*.

Two or three years from now...who knows?
TDK1044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:50 PM   #6
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 469
Default

"knew"
ShaqDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:56 PM   #7
HD-Can't live without it.
 
car421's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Indian Trail, NC
Posts: 254
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkkyler View Post
Those numbers are what the op pays for cable and high speed internet TOGETHER not what Direct's costs are. The OP did not list Directs cost which they found to be too high. Once again reading comprehension folks.
Sorry professor. I guess I missed that due to the lack of sentence structure and capitalization by to OP.
car421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:06 PM   #8
722k,722, 612, 512 HR34
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SD
Posts: 1,151
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyman777 View Post
well, with directtv, the choice extra is 64.00/month
dvr service 7.00/month
hd service 10.00/month
hbo 15.00/month
4 recievers is 20.00/month
protection plan 5.99/month
that is 121.99, now you get 24.00 off per month
for 1 year. after the first year it seems like
it would be pretty high, but maybe i am wrong.
with cable all my non hd tv's can be connected
straight into the rg6 in the wall, no box is needed.
so like my guest room and and such they get full digital cable
with all the channels i just don't need to have cable boxes.
maybe the price isn't to bad, i for some dumb reason thought
it would be cheaper.
im not sure if you got any of the pricing right at all....

choice extra is $64
3 extra receivers is only $15
hbo is $15 for TEN channels not 2
dvr service is $7
and HD is free on autopay
protection plan?? why?

So the bill is $101 on standard pricing
1st year of $72
2nd year of $87

Im getting 20mb download speed here for $15 a month for a year, then can switch to 2mb for $22 after that
Jodean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:48 PM   #9
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 142
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyman777 View Post
i have had time warner cable my whole life. well, recently just
for fun i decided to check out directv. i don't know why, but i
always thought that satellite tv must be way cheaper than
cable, i figured that is why people chose it, or they could not
get cable in their area so directtv was their only option.
so i went to the directv site and started with the choice extra,
hbo, protection package, ect.. i was absolutely astounded at the
incredible high cost of directtv. i am not trying to bash or
say anything negative, i was just shocked at how expensive it is
per month! with my time warner i have every hd channel you could
ever want/ i get 2 hd hbo channels/ i have roadrunner with a constant
18mb down/ hd dvr/ ect... i can drive to my local office an exchange my box any time i want, and in 25 years if i have 1 little problem they are out within 1 day at the most 2 days. my total bill with taxes is
$128.50/month. i guess i am just posting this because i was so taken aback by the price of directtv, but i guess it was just my ignorance. no disrespect to directtv.



Well said!! Very , Very expensive!!
bigmac31391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:16 PM   #10
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 449
Default

I have 3 HD DVR's and I priced DTV vs Dish and VS Comcast - I wanted all the major channels plus Fox Soccer Channel. DTV was cheaper than all of them for what I wanted, including paying for Comcast Internet separately. I guess it all depends on your package.
denverbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:42 AM   #11
NFL in HD nothing else
 
drock912001's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charlotte,NC
Posts: 1,955
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodean View Post
im not sure if you got any of the pricing right at all....

choice extra is $64
3 extra receivers is only $15
hbo is $15 for TEN channels not 2
dvr service is $7
and HD is free on autopay
protection plan?? why?

So the bill is $101 on standard pricing
1st year of $72
2nd year of $87

Im getting 20mb download speed here for $15 a month for a year, then can switch to 2mb for $22 after that
Let's not forget that dvr fee is for the entire house,not per box like twc.
The free hd on twc,let's just say we as hd enthusiast would be asking why pay for tnt,tbs,espn and abot 10 other channels anyway?
Who keeps letting the troll back in the building?
__________________
Vizio VL370M
Toshiba HD-XA1
Direct HR23-700
Denon AVR-2313CI
Fluance XLBP Wide dispersion bipolar surrounds
Fluance XL7C High Performance two way center
Polk RM 6750 (temporary)
PS3 160gb
HD DVD 29
Blu-ray 74
drock912001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 03:13 PM   #12
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
goober22's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Panama City / Ft Walton Bch, FL.
Posts: 780
Default

Almost ALL cable companies...

boxes = 6.95 EACH - D = 5 per extra
HD/dvr 16.95 PER BOX! - D = $17 PER ACCOUNT HD/DVR! (HD waived with autopay) = $7 - DVR = $7

Just those alone...
7 boxes with cable with HD/dvr (4 HD/DVRs, 1 DVR, 2 basic) = 6@6.95 + 16.95 per HD/DVR plus 9.85 per DVR + basic boxes = 119.45 PLUS programming!!!

D* = $47 total, minus 10 with autopay (freHD) = 37!

Yeah, really expensive - not!
__________________
DirecTV = HR20-700x2, HR20-100x2, All Networked, R15-500x1, D12-300x2, Zinwell WB616, OTA=17, TVs=9, Knology Cable = Internet & Phone Only, HD=34, Comcast Cable = Not Currently Subbed, HD=32, Hitachi 65S700 65", Sanyo 30" HD, Sony Home Theatre 7.1 Receiver, Sony 7.1 Speaker System , Harmony 686 x3
goober22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 03:46 PM   #13
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 142
Default

Indirect

last year's best special ever afforded-'


58.xx first six months plus nfl package

177 . 00 after that

that is expensive
too expensive
bigmac31391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:22 PM   #14
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 449
Default

What is with all the people spamming this site? Do they work for Comcast or something?
denverbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:11 PM   #15
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 84
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac31391 View Post
Indirect

last year's best special ever afforded-'


58.xx first six months plus nfl package

177 . 00 after that

that is expensive
too expensive
not if you switch to a lesser package, and what u dont mentoin is that Premier pack is every channel they have including there Premiums.
JUCJ85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > High Definition Programming Providers > DirecTV Forum
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads to i never new directv was so expensive!
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Has Anyone Ever SUED DirecTV? MrTwix DirecTV Forum 100 02-04-2010 12:01 PM
The Beginner's Guide to HDTV mswoods1 The High Definition Lounge 19 04-28-2008 02:03 PM
Monster(marketing) Cable HDMI 1.3 vs Offbrand! A test bench from a visual perspective jmgator Cables & Connections 37 12-14-2007 10:50 AM
Dish HD picture skywatchbob DISH Network Forum 14 05-27-2007 11:03 AM
37" Panasonic Plasma or Sharp LCD? Netsak Flat-Panel TVs 28 02-07-2006 07:15 AM
Letter to DirecTv cdkipp DirecTV Forum 11 12-22-2005 11:34 AM
Direct ? before pulling the trigger on Dish madsedan DirecTV Forum 34 06-17-2005 09:18 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:19 PM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2004 - 2008, High Def Forum