High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > High Definition Programming Providers > DirecTV Forum
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

DirecTV Forum Discuss and learn about DirecTV High Definition Satellite TV. RSS - DirecTV Forum

If you own a Direct Tv receiver how much would service cost?

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2010, 08:54 PM   #1
What is HD?
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2
Default If you own a Direct Tv receiver how much would service cost?

My husband and I want to get Direct TV, but there's a snag. Our credit is pretty lousy and because of it, we're told by both Direct and Dish that we have to shell out a $300 deposit before we can subscribe for the service. Needless to say, we're not too happy about it. A thought came to mind however....there's a thrift store just up the street from us and I saw a couple of Direct TV receivers for sale, so I was wondering if we were to purchase our own equipment would we be able to bypass the deposit and just pay out for the service itself? Now I know buying a receiver from a junkstore is taking a chance, but I've seen a few brand new ones on Ebay. Anyone have an answer?
maxeythecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 09:27 PM   #2
Got HD?
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Institutionalized
Posts: 707
Default

Either way you have to pay the same price for monthly activation. The deposit is not just for the equipment but also programming. You will still have to cough up the deposit. And you dont know if the set top boxes for sale @ salvation army are any good, or if DTV will even allow you to activate them. People normally donate items because they feel they have little or no value.
Sykotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 12:41 AM   #3
What is HD?
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2
Default

So, I have to lay out a deposit for the SERVICE ITSELF?? How do we spell RIPOFF? That really REALLY sucks, boy. I was under the assumption that it was for the equipment...that's what I was told by the schmuck at Direct TV.
maxeythecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:07 AM   #4
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxeythecat View Post
So, I have to lay out a deposit for the SERVICE ITSELF?? How do we spell RIPOFF? That really REALLY sucks, boy. I was under the assumption that it was for the equipment...that's what I was told by the schmuck at Direct TV.
What is your big hang-up on paying the deposit? It is a company policy and not one that they made up just for you. I know 2 different people that had to pay the deposit to get service and they didn't flinch. They have now been subscribers for almost 2 years with no problems. If you want the service then pay the deposit. If you don't want to then you should look for other TV options.
IamMrDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:27 PM   #5
What is HD?
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1
Default

this too expensive for me, I like FTA channels
mike.green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:29 PM   #6
Former Super Moderator
 
Loves2Watch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: In Flux
Posts: 20,284
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.green View Post
this too expensive for me, I like FTA channels
FTA equipment isn't cheap either nor is the installation...
__________________
It's always time for pie
Live everyday as if it was your last and plan on living forever...
Loves2Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 03:22 PM   #7
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 287
Default

Don't blame DirecTV for your lousy credit.
__________________
Outlaw Audio Model 990
Outlaw Audio Model 7500
Polk Audio RTi150, CSi40, FX500i, PSW650,
Sony KDS-55A2000
Onkyo DX-C390
Toshiba HD-A2
DirecTV HR20-700
Philips Pronto TS-1000
Pics of My System
holtzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:55 PM   #8
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 514
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by holtzd View Post
don't blame directv for your lousy credit.
ouch......
johns70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:50 AM   #9
What is HD?
 

Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3
Default

if you dont want to pay the deposit you can share a subscription with someone else a family member or someone like that and yall can also just split the bill. just have someone else set up the account and direct will have to come to that address do the instal and activation you get 2 free HD receivers if your a new customer then you can just purchase your equement else where ie. solidsignal dot com, and do the activation over the phone for the receivers you get. Direct tv will activate a used box but they will want to send you a new card to do so. check direct tv support you can find some answers there
outlaw242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:53 AM   #10
What is HD?
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1
Default

yeah, mike is right, we all need to save these days
mona.roperts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:02 AM   #11
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
Chris Gerhard's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 10,918
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxeythecat View Post
My husband and I want to get Direct TV, but there's a snag. Our credit is pretty lousy and because of it, we're told by both Direct and Dish that we have to shell out a $300 deposit before we can subscribe for the service. Needless to say, we're not too happy about it. A thought came to mind however....there's a thrift store just up the street from us and I saw a couple of Direct TV receivers for sale, so I was wondering if we were to purchase our own equipment would we be able to bypass the deposit and just pay out for the service itself? Now I know buying a receiver from a junkstore is taking a chance, but I've seen a few brand new ones on Ebay. Anyone have an answer?
I can't say how much it costs to install equipment and activate service at your given address but I would expect the amount is more than $300. The deposit is to cover your obligation of 2 years which if DirecTV is luckly will allow the company to breakeven on their investment. With no deposit and no credit and no way for DirecTV to recover their investment if you decide to discontinue service before your obligation runs out, the decision to require a deposit is understandable.

Crhis
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:36 PM   #12
What is HD?
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1
Default

I guess what Mike means is the non HD FTA channels, you could recieve them on non HD reciever which cost nothing.
geo.stw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:02 PM   #13
I have Sharp Aquos 52 LCD
 

Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 69
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post
I can't say how much it costs to install equipment and activate service at your given address but I would expect the amount is more than $300. The deposit is to cover your obligation of 2 years which if DirecTV is luckly will allow the company to breakeven on their investment. With no deposit and no credit and no way for DirecTV to recover their investment if you decide to discontinue service before your obligation runs out, the decision to require a deposit is understandable.

Crhis
But what he is saying is if you have your own box and install your own dish how is Directv out any money and thus needing a deposit? To me the deposit is for the equipment and paying an installer, and if there is no equipment there should be no need for a deposit. It's simply a matter of activating a box and paying month by month as you go, you don't pay, they turn it off. How are they out any money in that type of setup and needing a deposit?
dcaudle68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > High Definition Programming Providers > DirecTV Forum
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads to If you own a Direct Tv receiver how much would service cost?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Discussion On HDTV OTA Reception rbinck Local HDTV Info and Reception 213 12-09-2013 10:57 AM
Can I save any money on my DISH Network monthly fees? SGMD1 DISH Network Forum 8 11-15-2008 11:04 AM
Are Panasonic EDTV'S Good And Is EDTV HD? rickbbb Flat-Panel TVs 252 02-20-2006 09:03 PM
Westinghouse's LVM-37W1 LCD TV zedd Flat-Panel TVs 23 02-16-2006 12:44 PM
I Finally Got MY 42" Panny Plasma! Now I have some questions: yanks0826 Flat-Panel TVs 12 12-01-2005 02:48 PM
analog reception on hdtv warhammer Local HDTV Info and Reception 49 11-17-2005 07:22 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:06 AM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2004 - 2008, High Def Forum