High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > Off Topic Discussion > Car Forum
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

Car Forum Talk about your favorite cars, setups, garages (got pics?)! RSS - Car Forum

Cute, enviro friendly death traps!

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2010, 05:25 PM   #226
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Barrington, Il.
Age: 61
Posts: 2,320
Default

I see what this is coming down to.

We need to have a head on of a Smart and Escort, winner take all and be done with it
__________________
Panasonic TC-P65VT30
Panasonic TC-L42E50
Panasonic DMP-BDT210
Pioneer VSX-1021-K
Klipsch
DirecTV HR34-700
DirecTV C31-700

Missing Pam
Emil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:54 PM   #227
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 447
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emil View Post
I see what this is coming down to.

We need to have a head on of a Smart and Escort, winner take all and be done with it
Well I'm pretty sure you've seen that video on You Tube hitting a concrete wall at 70mph. After colliding, you can open and close BOTH doors. The Trideon Cell holds up (although the passenger is probably dead due to the rapid decelleration).

There's no chance of that happening to the Escort. Head on from 60mph, I'm pretty sure the Smart wins....but then again, what does 'Win' really mean?

I'll take my chances with a Smart against the Escort anyday of the week.
blackbeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:55 PM   #228
More than meets the eyes!
 
mobiushky's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: State of Insanity
Posts: 3,579
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeagle View Post
Yes...the title "Death trap" is over the top. It is the only reason why I responded from the beginning.

When I see a car/truck collide with another object and the whole front compartment folds like an accordion, that occupant is D.E.A.D....DEAD. That means they died and is pretty much buried inside that compartment. To me, that's a death trap.

Recent vehicles comes to mind....Ford Pinto...Geo Metro...Chevy Cavalier....earlier models of F150s.

I do NOT think the Smart belongs in this category. I happen to Google the word Death Traps and the Smart comes up a lot. But when I read the blog/article, it's always some Yahoo that didn't do their research. They want to make fun of the vehicle because, again, it's an easy car to ridicule.

They even posted pictures with cars that are 'caved in' after colliding with a truck with the caption, "You still want to drive a Smart?". I really want to reply...."If you're going to be ignorant to post such a comment, at least know what car you're labeling"-the smashed up car was NOT a Smart.

Another viral picture shows a car smashed between two trucks. Again, the laughs surrounds the rumor that it's a Smart. WROOOOONG again. My friend even makes fun of this picture and said that was my car. Well I did tell him that picture is actually a Ford Escape and it took place in Jefferson Parish in LA. I even sent him this link: http://www.snopes.com/photos/accident/smallcar.asp

I've not heard a peep from him since.
To be honest, I've never believed those pictures anyway. Like I said, any car put in the right circumstances is a death trap. Interesting note on that snopes bit is that the driver of the Escape survived.
__________________
DRM is roughly the equivalent of poking you in the eye, repeatedly.
----------------------------------------------------
Main Setup:
Pioneer PDP-5070HD
Pioneer VSX-23TXH
DISH VIP722
PS3 Slim (320Gb)
Logitech Harmony One remote
All Klipsch speakers

Bedroom Setup:
Sony KDR-40XBR4
PS3 (320GB)

Kids Setup:
Panasonic TC-P42X2
PS3 (120Gb w/ BC) I think I have too many PS3s.
mobiushky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:16 PM   #229
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Barrington, Il.
Age: 61
Posts: 2,320
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeagle View Post
Well I'm pretty sure you've seen that video on You Tube hitting a concrete wall at 70mph. After colliding, you can open and close BOTH doors. The Trideon Cell holds up (although the passenger is probably dead due to the rapid decelleration).

There's no chance of that happening to the Escort. Head on from 60mph, I'm pretty sure the Smart wins....but then again, what does 'Win' really mean?

I'll take my chances with a Smart against the Escort anyday of the week.
Haven't seen it, really not interested in foreign cars.
__________________
Panasonic TC-P65VT30
Panasonic TC-L42E50
Panasonic DMP-BDT210
Pioneer VSX-1021-K
Klipsch
DirecTV HR34-700
DirecTV C31-700

Missing Pam
Emil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:59 PM   #230
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 447
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emil View Post
Haven't seen it, really not interested in foreign cars.
Well that's an interesting way to put it? What do you consider a foreign car?
blackbeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:13 PM   #231
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Barrington, Il.
Age: 61
Posts: 2,320
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeagle View Post
Well that's an interesting way to put it? What do you consider a foreign car?
When the final check for the product goes to a country other than the USA I consider it foreign. I just like to keep the money here.

BTW, running into a concrete wall and into another vehicle are completely different but I think this has already been discussed.

I'll take my ole' Escort any day just like you'll take your Smart, to each his own.
__________________
Panasonic TC-P65VT30
Panasonic TC-L42E50
Panasonic DMP-BDT210
Pioneer VSX-1021-K
Klipsch
DirecTV HR34-700
DirecTV C31-700

Missing Pam
Emil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:54 PM   #232
HD Elitist
 
hatt's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: FL
Age: 38
Posts: 6,294
Default

When 95%+ of the vehicles out on the road turn your vehicle into a pin ball>>>death trap unless you can cancel out the laws of physics or your body resembles Superman's. Tiny cars have little room to absorb energy so we are left with the Superman option. [/story]
hatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:10 PM   #233
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 447
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emil View Post
When the final check for the product goes to a country other than the USA I consider it foreign. I just like to keep the money here.

BTW, running into a concrete wall and into another vehicle are completely different but I think this has already been discussed.

I'll take my ole' Escort any day just like you'll take your Smart, to each his own.
I understand for wanting to keep sales/profits numbers here in the US but with that said, do you feel any differently about shoes, shirts, TVs, DVD players, cameras, tools, picture frames, etc.?
blackbeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:38 AM   #234
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Barrington, Il.
Age: 61
Posts: 2,320
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeagle View Post
I understand for wanting to keep sales/profits numbers here in the US but with that said, do you feel any differently about shoes, shirts, TVs, DVD players, cameras, tools, picture frames, etc.?
When there is a viable option, I keep it in the USA!
__________________
Panasonic TC-P65VT30
Panasonic TC-L42E50
Panasonic DMP-BDT210
Pioneer VSX-1021-K
Klipsch
DirecTV HR34-700
DirecTV C31-700

Missing Pam
Emil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:30 AM   #235
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 6,839
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emil View Post
When there is a viable option, I keep it in the USA!
That is exactly how I roll as well. I have realistically realized that it is now impossible to buy only American in this globalized world economy. However, I will still buy American so long as there is a viable option.

You guys have probably already realized how much I love my Fords. If Ford didn't exist, I honestly don't know what i'd do as I hate GM, and hate them even more ever since the Government become majority owner of it.
__________________
X360 Gamertag junehhan
Microsoft X360 and Xbox One
-Vizio BDP
-Bose Accoustimass 5.1 channel system

New Lebanon Ohio Rotary Club member
junehhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:23 AM   #236
More than meets the eyes!
 
mobiushky's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: State of Insanity
Posts: 3,579
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by junehhan View Post
That is exactly how I roll as well. I have realistically realized that it is now impossible to buy only American in this globalized world economy. However, I will still buy American so long as there is a viable option.

You guys have probably already realized how much I love my Fords. If Ford didn't exist, I honestly don't know what i'd do as I hate GM, and hate them even more ever since the Government become majority owner of it.
I've been pretty much a life long GM fan for US autos. I recently told my wife, I'm going to have to start liking Ford now... (Shudder...). LOL!
__________________
DRM is roughly the equivalent of poking you in the eye, repeatedly.
----------------------------------------------------
Main Setup:
Pioneer PDP-5070HD
Pioneer VSX-23TXH
DISH VIP722
PS3 Slim (320Gb)
Logitech Harmony One remote
All Klipsch speakers

Bedroom Setup:
Sony KDR-40XBR4
PS3 (320GB)

Kids Setup:
Panasonic TC-P42X2
PS3 (120Gb w/ BC) I think I have too many PS3s.
mobiushky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:44 AM   #237
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 6,839
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobiushky View Post
I've been pretty much a life long GM fan for US autos. I recently told my wife, I'm going to have to start liking Ford now... (Shudder...). LOL!
I tried another try with GM when I had my Chevy Trailblazer SS, but I ultimately sold it for my Ford Fusion Hybrid as I think fuel prices will become very upward trending once the economy begins to recover. That Chevy also nickled and dimed the crap out of me for some really super retarded stuff that should never be going out on a vehicle so early(electrical stuff).

You should definately take a look at what Ford has to offer, as you may very well like what you see. Long time GM owners will have trouble getting used to how Fords tend to drive, along with the interior ergonomics. However, at least you will be supporting the only American car company to avoid taking government handouts, and thus the only American car company that isn't owned by the government.
__________________
X360 Gamertag junehhan
Microsoft X360 and Xbox One
-Vizio BDP
-Bose Accoustimass 5.1 channel system

New Lebanon Ohio Rotary Club member
junehhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > Off Topic Discussion > Car Forum
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads to Cute, enviro friendly death traps!
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The rumors of HD DVD's death are greatly exaggerated bruceames High Definition Media 26 11-05-2008 07:22 PM
Smile! 'Faces of Death' Coming to Blu-ray Lee Stewart High Definition Media 10 06-23-2008 06:30 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:22 AM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2004 - 2008, High Def Forum