High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > High Definition Programming Providers > Cable Providers
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

Cable Providers Discuss and learn about High Definition Comcast, Cox, Time Warner, Adelphia and other cable HDTV providers. RSS - Cable Providers

Comcast and optical audio hookup

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2010, 04:56 PM   #1
What is HD?
 

Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1
Default Comcast and optical audio hookup

I have comcast hd box hooked up to panasonic 50" plasma with hdmi. I also have a teac home theater system. I want to hook up the surround audio with optical toslink cable Should the cable go out from comcast box to home theater receiver or from comast box out to panasonic plasma. Newbie here confused. Thanks for the help
Scorpio49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 05:19 PM   #2
Former Super Moderator
 
Loves2Watch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: In Flux
Posts: 20,284
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio49 View Post
I have comcast hd box hooked up to panasonic 50" plasma with hdmi. I also have a teac home theater system. I want to hook up the surround audio with optical toslink cable Should the cable go out from comcast box to home theater receiver YES or from comast box out to panasonic plasma. NO Newbie here confused. Thanks for the help
And once you have connected the optical cable from the Comcast box to your A/V receiver, make sure to turn the TV's speakers off...
__________________
It's always time for pie
Live everyday as if it was your last and plan on living forever...
Loves2Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:16 PM   #3
Got HD?
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Institutionalized
Posts: 707
Default

If your tv has a optical out, and you have a DTS receiver. Plug your tv into your receiver. Just leave your receiver on your optical input and what ever sound you have on your tv will come through the receiver. Easier than cycling through inputs on your SS receiver for each input. GL
Sykotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 02:26 AM   #4
Member
 
BIslander's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bainbridge Island, WA
Posts: 1,628
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykotic View Post
If your tv has a optical out, and you have a DTS receiver. Plug your tv into your receiver. Just leave your receiver on your optical input and what ever sound you have on your tv will come through the receiver. Easier than cycling through inputs on your SS receiver for each input. GL
Easier, I suppose, but you'll almost certainly end up with stereo instead of DD 5.1. Most TVs only pass 5.1 from their own internal tuners. They output stereo PCM from external devices such as set top boxes and disc players. So, if you want genuine surround sound, you need to connect the cable box directly to the sound system. A good remote takes the pain out of changing inputs.
BIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:04 AM   #5
Got HD?
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Institutionalized
Posts: 707
Default

the optical is supposed to pass the exact signal signal it receives. normally DD5.1. For a receiver to have optical input it has to be DTS certfied.
Sykotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 12:15 PM   #6
The Universe is HiDef.
 
HiDefRev's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: State of Relativity, USA
Posts: 2,503
Smile Opitcal

No, the optical output only sends 2.0 stereo, except for the signal from the internal tuner. Here is what my Panasonic owner's manual says:
When audio from other equipment connected to this unit is output using the “DIGITAL AUDIO OUT” of this unit, the system switches to 2CH audio.
__________________
Living Room
Samsung PN60F5500 60" 3D Plasma HDTV, Samsung BD-F5900 3D Blu-ray player, Directv HR44-500 3D Genie system, Onkyo TX-NR626 7.2 3D AV Receiver, BIC DV84 Front Tower Speakers, BIC DV62si Side Surround and Back Surround Speakers, BIC DV62CLR-S Center Speaker, BIC RtR-EV1200 Subwoofers x 2, Monoprice Cables
Master Bedroom
Vizio E470VL 47" 1080p HDTV, Directv C41-700 Genie Client .
HiDefRev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 03:30 PM   #7
Got HD?
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Institutionalized
Posts: 707
Default

Tvs only pass 2.0PCM if your using HDMI. If your using OTA through coax (according to Samsung) and watching a Digital HD program then it will pass the 5.1.
Sykotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 09:50 AM   #8
Former Super Moderator
 
Loves2Watch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: In Flux
Posts: 20,284
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykotic View Post
Tvs only pass 2.0PCM if your using HDMI. If your using OTA through coax (according to Samsung) and watching a Digital HD program then it will pass the 5.1.
First the OP has a Panasonic TV not a Samsung. Second the digital optical audio output of this TV as with most others will ONLY output 2 channel stereo when the source is any other than it's internal tuner. Please do some more research before posting erroneous information.
__________________
It's always time for pie
Live everyday as if it was your last and plan on living forever...
Loves2Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:57 PM   #9
What is HD?
 

Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4
Default

I have a "less expensive" Sanyo HD TV. I have the cable box hooked up with HDMI and run the digital out from the TV to my Sony audio receiver. My receiver has no problems with 5.1 from the TV, depending on what I'm watching. For example, right now I can switch between Herbie: Fully Loaded on TBSHD and the receiver picks it up in 5.1 but if I switch to Paranormal State on A&EHD, it's a 2.0 signal.

There's a good chance you'll have audio sync issues if you run the audio straight from the cable box to the theater system, so I recommend running the cable box to the tv then audio from the tv to the theater system.
shellis129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:19 PM   #10
Former Super Moderator
 
Loves2Watch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: In Flux
Posts: 20,284
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellis129 View Post
I have a "less expensive" Sanyo HD TV. I have the cable box hooked up with HDMI and run the digital out from the TV to my Sony audio receiver. My receiver has no problems with 5.1 from the TV, depending on what I'm watching. For example, right now I can switch between Herbie: Fully Loaded on TBSHD and the receiver picks it up in 5.1 but if I switch to Paranormal State on A&EHD, it's a 2.0 signal.

There's a good chance you'll have audio sync issues if you run the audio straight from the cable box to the theater system, so I recommend running the cable box to the tv then audio from the tv to the theater system.
That is exactly the reverse of what manufacturers, professionals and we here recommend. Not a good idea
__________________
It's always time for pie
Live everyday as if it was your last and plan on living forever...
Loves2Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:53 PM   #11
HD Football=Euphoria
 
sawzalot's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cape May,N J
Posts: 901
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellis129 View Post
I have a "less expensive" Sanyo HD TV. I have the cable box hooked up with HDMI and run the digital out from the TV to my Sony audio receiver. My receiver has no problems with 5.1 from the TV, depending on what I'm watching. For example, right now I can switch between Herbie: Fully Loaded on TBSHD and the receiver picks it up in 5.1 but if I switch to Paranormal State on A&EHD, it's a 2.0 signal.

There's a good chance you'll have audio sync issues if you run the audio straight from the cable box to the theater system, so I recommend running the cable box to the tv then audio from the tv to the theater system.
I have never hooked any HT components up this way and never have I encountered any sync issues, digital out of HD box straight to the receiver works like a charm, hdmi to the panel for "video" only
sawzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:42 PM   #12
What is HD?
 

Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves2Watch View Post
That is exactly the reverse of what manufacturers, professionals and we here recommend. Not a good idea
Granted, I don't have the most high end equipment, but if I was to do it that way, I'd have a less than enjoyable HD experience. I originally set up my TV with the audio going from the cable box to the receiver and the video going to the TV from the cable box. Didn't work out so great. I'd hear the explosion, then I'd see it. I'd hear the words, then I'd see the mouth move. If I had both the TV volume up and the theater system on, the "echo" was VERY noticable (I'm assuming that's one of the reasons why it's recommended to lower the volume on the TV while using the HT system?). So, I used the digital out from the tv going to the receiver and it fixed that problem. It's not an uncommon problem with HD tvs. And maybe it's not very noticable to most people but it was to me. I work in audio production so I have a tendency to notice little things things like that.

I'm sticking to my original recommendation to the original post BUT I will add to try it both ways and do what works best for you.
shellis129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:49 PM   #13
Member
 
BIslander's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bainbridge Island, WA
Posts: 1,628
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellis129 View Post
I'm sticking to my original recommendation to the original post BUT I will add to try it both ways and do what works best for you.
You have a rare TV that passes encoded audio from external components. Very few work that way. For most people, your solution is not an option unless they are willing to live with stereo. And, very few people have your audio sync problem when running audio direct to the sound system.

Meanwhile, how do you have your disc player hooked up? I'm not aware of any TVs that pass DTS audio.
BIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:09 PM   #14
What is HD?
 

Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post
You have a rare TV that passes encoded audio from external components. Very few work that way. For most people, your solution is not an option unless they are willing to live with stereo. And, very few people have your audio sync problem when running audio direct to the sound system.

Meanwhile, how do you have your disc player hooked up? I'm not aware of any TVs that pass DTS audio.
Well, I have a 9 year old DVD player so it doesn't have an HDMI output. I have it hooked up with component cables and L/R audio to the TV and the TV digital output to the receiver. I had it hooked up the "suggested" way originally (DVD optical out to receiver, component to TV) but couldn't deal with the delay so I'm dealing with "simulated" surround for now.
shellis129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:53 AM   #15
Former Super Moderator
 
Loves2Watch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: In Flux
Posts: 20,284
Default

It sounds like your audio receiver may be the audio delay culprit. I would check and see if it has any lip sync or delay features that can be adjusted.
__________________
It's always time for pie
Live everyday as if it was your last and plan on living forever...
Loves2Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > High Definition Programming Providers > Cable Providers
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads to Comcast and optical audio hookup
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Panasonic TH50PX60U audio hookup issue anwar1979 Flat-Panel TVs 6 04-19-2006 12:04 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:58 PM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright ©2004 - 2008, High Def Forum