High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > High Definition Hardware > Blu-Ray Players
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

Blu-Ray Players Blu-Ray Players RSS - Blu-Ray Players

PS3 not playing in fullscreen???

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2009, 05:01 PM   #1
Can't get up...
 
JamesenjoysHD's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 60
Default PS3 not playing in fullscreen???

I finally got a new tv ( TH-50PZ85U ) and hooked up a new PS3 and surround sound ( YHT-590BL ). Everything seems to be working great and I love the picture but.....I can't seem to get blu-rays to play in full screen? Some previews before the movie will start are full screen but as soon as the actual movie plays it goes to widescreen. How do I fix this? Is it something that needs changed in the t.v or the PS3? Thanks for your help.
JamesenjoysHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:17 PM   #2
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
Shark2k's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: West Orange, NJ
Age: 28
Posts: 841
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesenjoysHD View Post
I finally got a new tv ( TH-50PZ85U ) and hooked up a new PS3 and surround sound ( YHT-590BL ). Everything seems to be working great and I love the picture but.....I can't seem to get blu-rays to play in full screen? Some previews before the movie will start are full screen but as soon as the actual movie plays it goes to widescreen. How do I fix this? Is it something that needs changed in the t.v or the PS3? Thanks for your help.
Blu-ray's only play in the format they are encoded in. Since most movies are either in 1.78:1 (16:9), 1.85:1 or 2.35:1 (or slightly greater than 2.35:1) the movies are going to be in widescreen. Look on the back of the the Blu-ray case and if the ratio is 1.78:1 the screen will be completely filled. If the ratio is 1.85:1 you will most likely have the screen completely filled or possibly really thin black "bars" on the top and bottom. If the movie is greater than 1.85:1 (2.35:1, 2.37:1, 2.40:1 are the common ones) you will have black "bars" at the top and bottom. This is how the movie is supposed to be displayed. Now if a movie is 4:3 (1.33:1) you would have black "bars" to the right and left of the picture. There is also the ratio of 1.66:1 (Disney uses this one sometimes) and that will give you thin black "bars" to the left and right of the picture.

-Shark2k
Shark2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:22 PM   #3
Can't get up...
 
JamesenjoysHD's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 60
Default

That's what I thought, I just didn't want to hear it. I was hoping I could change that as an option. Thanks though!
JamesenjoysHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:14 AM   #4
More than meets the eyes!
 
mobiushky's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: State of Insanity
Posts: 3,579
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesenjoysHD View Post
That's what I thought, I just didn't want to hear it. I was hoping I could change that as an option. Thanks though!
Change the aspect ratio on your TV to the way you want it. Just don't let the artistic nazi's know you altered the vision of the director. You might be shot.
__________________
DRM is roughly the equivalent of poking you in the eye, repeatedly.
----------------------------------------------------
Main Setup:
Pioneer PDP-5070HD
Pioneer VSX-23TXH
DISH VIP722
PS3 Slim (320Gb)
Logitech Harmony One remote
All Klipsch speakers

Bedroom Setup:
Sony KDR-40XBR4
PS3 (320GB)

Kids Setup:
Panasonic TC-P42X2
PS3 (120Gb w/ BC) I think I have too many PS3s.
mobiushky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:21 AM   #5
Official HDF BD Reviewer
 
HD Goofnut's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mississippi, U.S.A. Your resident Dune, Star Wars, and war film expert
Posts: 9,620
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobiushky View Post
Change the aspect ratio on your TV to the way you want it. Just don't let the artistic nazi's know you altered the vision of the director. You might be shot.
I'll be in charge of that firing squad too. OAR for the world!!!
__________________
HD Goofnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:30 AM   #6
Resistance is futile...
 
Kcgreatfox's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Boston, Ma
Posts: 106
Default

I wonder if they'll start releasing "full screen" editions of blu-ray movies that fill up the whole 16:9 screen, the same way they have full screen dvds that are 4:3. I HATE full screen dvds, but I would totally buy full screen blu-ray movies!
__________________
Living Room:
60" Grand WEGA SXRD Rear Projection HDTV
Sony 800W 5.1 Home Theater System HT-DDWG700

Bedroom:
RCA 32" Class LCD HDTV w/ Digital Tuner, L32HD31
Samsung HT-X40T 800W Single Disc Home Theater Surround Sound System

Consoles: PlayStation 3, GameCube, Wii, N64, SNES, PSP, GBA
Kcgreatfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:09 PM   #7
Official HDF BD Reviewer
 
HD Goofnut's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mississippi, U.S.A. Your resident Dune, Star Wars, and war film expert
Posts: 9,620
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcgreatfox View Post
I wonder if they'll start releasing "full screen" editions of blu-ray movies that fill up the whole 16:9 screen, the same way they have full screen dvds that are 4:3. I HATE full screen dvds, but I would totally buy full screen blu-ray movies!
I don't want to pay full price for 2/3rd of the movie. I didn't do that SD DVD and I am not about to do that with BD. I don't understand why seeing presentations in their ARs is such an eyesore to a limited few people. It's not like one's eyes are on top of each other like this :.
They are next to each other like this - -.
__________________
HD Goofnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 02:00 PM   #8
More than meets the eyes!
 
mobiushky's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: State of Insanity
Posts: 3,579
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
I don't want to pay full price for 2/3rd of the movie. I didn't do that SD DVD and I am not about to do that with BD. I don't understand why seeing presentations in their ARs is such an eyesore to a limited few people. It's not like one's eyes are on top of each other like this :.
They are next to each other like this - -.
But you'll pay full price for a TV and use 2/3 of it? Listen, I got no problem with people wanting to see movies in their OAR. More power to ya. But I quite frankly could not care less how the director feels the movie should show up on my tv. Until he pays me to watch his movie and buys me the tv. If I want to screw with his vision, I'm gonna. He's not sitting there with me watching it. Screw him.

Bottom line is, my tv, my disc, my player, my house. I can do what I want. But if you want to keep the OAR, I'm not bent out of shape by that. What bugs me is the people who are so bent about others changing the aspect ratio. (Not that you are, but there are some here who literally take it as a personal insult.) 90% of the time I don't mess with it. But sometimes I do.
__________________
DRM is roughly the equivalent of poking you in the eye, repeatedly.
----------------------------------------------------
Main Setup:
Pioneer PDP-5070HD
Pioneer VSX-23TXH
DISH VIP722
PS3 Slim (320Gb)
Logitech Harmony One remote
All Klipsch speakers

Bedroom Setup:
Sony KDR-40XBR4
PS3 (320GB)

Kids Setup:
Panasonic TC-P42X2
PS3 (120Gb w/ BC) I think I have too many PS3s.
mobiushky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:06 PM   #9
Resistance is futile...
 
Kcgreatfox's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Boston, Ma
Posts: 106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobiushky View Post
But you'll pay full price for a TV and use 2/3 of it? Listen, I got no problem with people wanting to see movies in their OAR. More power to ya. But I quite frankly could not care less how the director feels the movie should show up on my tv. Until he pays me to watch his movie and buys me the tv. If I want to screw with his vision, I'm gonna. He's not sitting there with me watching it. Screw him.

Bottom line is, my tv, my disc, my player, my house. I can do what I want. But if you want to keep the OAR, I'm not bent out of shape by that. What bugs me is the people who are so bent about others changing the aspect ratio. (Not that you are, but there are some here who literally take it as a personal insult.) 90% of the time I don't mess with it. But sometimes I do.
Agreed.
__________________
Living Room:
60" Grand WEGA SXRD Rear Projection HDTV
Sony 800W 5.1 Home Theater System HT-DDWG700

Bedroom:
RCA 32" Class LCD HDTV w/ Digital Tuner, L32HD31
Samsung HT-X40T 800W Single Disc Home Theater Surround Sound System

Consoles: PlayStation 3, GameCube, Wii, N64, SNES, PSP, GBA
Kcgreatfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:09 PM   #10
High Definition is the definition of life.
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 213
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobiushky View Post
But you'll pay full price for a TV and use 2/3 of it? Listen, I got no problem with people wanting to see movies in their OAR. More power to ya. But I quite frankly could not care less how the director feels the movie should show up on my tv. Until he pays me to watch his movie and buys me the tv. If I want to screw with his vision, I'm gonna. He's not sitting there with me watching it. Screw him.

Bottom line is, my tv, my disc, my player, my house. I can do what I want. But if you want to keep the OAR, I'm not bent out of shape by that. What bugs me is the people who are so bent about others changing the aspect ratio. (Not that you are, but there are some here who literally take it as a personal insult.) 90% of the time I don't mess with it. But sometimes I do.
I don't think the issue is necessarily what you do with the media once you get it home, it's only if it's altered on the production end & not giving anyone a choice.

Luckily todays' TV's give the user the options of stretching, cropping, & squeezing to their hearts content. Unless you're forcing me to come over to you house & watch movies, I've got no problem with that. I would have a big problem, however, if my 2.35 BD's were only available in cropped versions & there was no way for me to regain the missing sides of the picture that were cropped off for the sake of filling the screen.
Eddie501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 06:09 PM   #11
Can't get up...
 
JamesenjoysHD's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 60
Default

wow, i guess i didn't know it was such a big deal to even think about changing the aspect ratio...???? i guess i'm kinda wierd but i bought a 50" screen hoping i could get the most out of it.....
JamesenjoysHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:05 PM   #12
47" 1080P...
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SF Bay Area
Age: 33
Posts: 75
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesenjoysHD View Post
wow, i guess i didn't know it was such a big deal to even think about changing the aspect ratio...???? i guess i'm kinda wierd but i bought a 50" screen hoping i could get the most out of it.....
I guess it comes down to this for me:

If you are stretching the image to fill your screen or zooming the image, you are either distorting or losing the fine detail (and the side of each image). It's no different than stretching a 4:3 source to "fill" your display, everything just looks bad no matter the source.

I understand wanting to utilize every inch of available real estate (and damn does it look good when formatted properly such as TDK imax scenes or even a 16:9 TV source), but you have a very expensive tv, blu-ray player, and disc; why "cheapen" the experience?

Then again some go strictly for the "size is everything" approach and will take a 4:3 OTA analog channel they barely get in and stretch it to fill a 65" 16:9 screen and wonder why their friends aren't impressed with their new "HDTV"...
jmohr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:50 AM   #13
Can't get up...
 
JamesenjoysHD's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 60
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmohr1 View Post
I guess it comes down to this for me:

If you are stretching the image to fill your screen or zooming the image, you are either distorting or losing the fine detail (and the side of each image). It's no different than stretching a 4:3 source to "fill" your display, everything just looks bad no matter the source.

I understand wanting to utilize every inch of available real estate (and damn does it look good when formatted properly such as TDK imax scenes or even a 16:9 TV source), but you have a very expensive tv, blu-ray player, and disc; why "cheapen" the experience?

Then again some go strictly for the "size is everything" approach and will take a 4:3 OTA analog channel they barely get in and stretch it to fill a 65" 16:9 screen and wonder why their friends aren't impressed with their new "HDTV"...
OK. I understand losing quality when enlarging it to fit my screen, and I don't want to lose the fine detailing, but I just get sick and tired of seeing those damn black bars at the top and bottom of my screen. If the point is to see the movie through the producers eyes, why can't his eyes produce something that will just fill my screen?
JamesenjoysHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 08:42 AM   #14
Member
 
BIslander's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bainbridge Island, WA
Posts: 1,628
Default

Between your TV and your player, you should be able to display wide screen movies in a way that looks best to you. Given the diversity of aspect ratios, this is a fairly significant issue in every theater, including the public ones. At the end of the day, the best solution is a constant height projection system using anamorphic lenses, a very wide screen, and a curtaining system to vary the visible width of the screen. Nothing that money can't fix.
BIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:55 AM   #15
Former Super Moderator - RIP
 
PFC5's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Mass
Posts: 38,295
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesenjoysHD View Post
OK. I understand losing quality when enlarging it to fit my screen, and I don't want to lose the fine detailing, but I just get sick and tired of seeing those damn black bars at the top and bottom of my screen. If the point is to see the movie through the producers eyes, why can't his eyes produce something that will just fill my screen?
I understand what you are saying, but Directors use the screen as their canvas (to them), and some think the wider format is the canvas they want to use to tell the story and others feel the 1.85:1 aspect ratio is the correct canvas.

I am not real big on caring about "Director's Intent" like some others, but I want to see the whole movie and that means having black bars on some movies to get this. I am not a big fan of adding grain/static either as part of the DI, and wish they just made it like i was there watching it live.

All I can say is that I hated black bars also at one point but I came to appreciate them as the only physical way to see the whole movie with even the widescreen displays we have now. It just takes time I think. YMMV
__________________
Denon AVR-887
Klipsch RP-5 Pwred Towers (mains) (525 watts peak each 12"Subs)
All Klipsch RC-25(ctr),(2)SS1(surr),(2)SS1(rearSurr)
Toshiba (2)HD-A20,PS3,BD35
For SACD/DVD-A Samsung HD-841
Panny 50pz80u plasma
SETTINGS
RCA HD50LPW162 50"DLP w/HD2+
SA 3250HD
47" LCD+Yamaha5790+HD-A1(bedroom)
Harmony 680 + (2) 670s (amazing remote/support)
Game room with Onkyo receiver & B&W Speakers
The_Cable_Game
Take the high ground and be happier
PSN: PFC5
PFC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > High Definition Hardware > Blu-Ray Players
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads to PS3 not playing in fullscreen???
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blu-ray/videogame discs to be released for PS3 Lee Stewart High Definition Media 16 02-12-2009 04:27 PM
Playing Blu-Ray Rip on PS3 (FW1.60 only) Sassha High Definition Movies & Video Clips 1 10-18-2008 01:47 PM
MLB '07: The Show (PS3) REVIEW SOBAY310 Gaming & Systems 29 02-08-2008 09:43 AM
My initial review of the PS3 interface for both game console AND BD movie player. PFC5 Blu-Ray Players 42 01-21-2007 12:09 PM
Why this developer prefers 360 over PS3 Cygnus Gaming & Systems 15 01-02-2007 02:42 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:23 AM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2004 - 2008, High Def Forum