High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > High Definition Hardware > Blu-Ray Players
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

Blu-Ray Players Blu-Ray Players RSS - Blu-Ray Players

If I Were To Ask Right Now, At This Very Moment, Straight Up...

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2009, 09:22 PM   #61
HDF's Resident Reviewer
 

Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,845
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves2Watch View Post
This must have been a perception or due to some other processing as the Realta chip is for upscaling and to my knowledge Blu-ray discs are not upscaled.
No, of course they're not upscaled.
Peter Marlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:22 PM   #62
HDF's Resident Reviewer
 

Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,845
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKBOBMEL View Post
I got the DMP-BD55 cause of the analog outs. Watched a SD dvd last night and could swear it was an HD!
Thanks for your thoughts on the 55's upscaling....was the DVD upconversion really that good? Did you have the deck set to 1080p for DVD?
Peter Marlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:29 PM   #63
HDF's Resident Reviewer
 

Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,845
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daleb View Post
Good assessment. I would not give the BD55 very high marks in the analog/bass management area. It's workable, but it was configured almost like a 2nd thought. The setup in other areas is first-rate.

But as far as PQ/AQ it is right up there at the top IMO. Disk handling is a bit slow, but certainly good enough.
Thanks for your thoughts, Daleb; I wouldn't be using the BD55's analog outs, so from all accounts, the 35 should do the trick -- video wise. I'm just concerned with pulling the trigger on a piece of equipment that costs about half of what first generation buyers paid for pieces of shit like the BD10A...

Quote:
I agree on these premium players. Without the high end systems to extract the finite improvements, I don't think you will get your money's worth. I've heard the menu on the Pioneer can a beatch to setup and navigation is poor. Perhaps it has been improved in the latest models.
Yes -- I have heard the same thing about the Pioneer's menus; read that in a Home Theater review. The same thing about the then-flagship Denon, which was quoted as having painfully slow response times. Doesn't make sense at that price range.

It seems the concensus is that these expensive decks don't really warrant the cash unless they're in extreme installations; I thank everyone for helping me discern through all that. I shall consider it.

Quote:
Oppo looks most promising assuming it will have at least the visual and audio performance of the Panasonics. It should upconvert very well and bass management is almost their trade-mark, so I would expect that to be well thought out, along with DVD-A performance.
Indeed; so I have been hearing as well. I will perhaps wait for the Oppo, or pull the trigger on a Panasonic perhaps if I want to get a deck before they're out...

I have some more questions about other players we can consider, but didn't talk about here:

How about the new Yamaha player? Any word on its quality?

Would any of the Sonys be recommended, since this will be hooked up to a Sony SXRD display?

What about the new Onkyo player -- any word on this yet? Initial photos didn't impress me.
Peter Marlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:30 PM   #64
rockbobmel
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Greenfield (NoWhere), MA
Posts: 73
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Marlowe View Post
Thanks for your thoughts on the 55's upscaling....was the DVD upconversion really that good? Did you have the deck set to 1080p for DVD?
My Samsung plasma 42 is 1080i not p. I sit 9 feet away and it looked excellent! You don't need to set it, It upscales automatically to the screen res. I would say it was 90% compared to BR 100%
__________________
Rotel RSP-1098
Rotel RB-976
Arcam CD192
Arcam DV89
Arcam P-25 3
Arcam P-25
Klipsch RF-7s
Klipsch RC-7s (F&R)
Klipsch RS-62s
Klipsch RSW-15
Velodyne ULD-15
Samsung 4233 42" 1080i Plasma
Panasonic DMP-BD55, Roku HD player
ROCKBOBMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:32 PM   #65
HDF's Resident Reviewer
 

Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,845
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKBOBMEL View Post
My Samsung plasma 42 is 1080i not p. I sit 9 feet away and it looked excellent! You don't need to set it, It upscales automatically to the screen res. I would say it was 90% compared to BR 100%
Oh, so you have the player's HDMI set to AUTO resolution, yes? I have my BD10A set that way too -- but my Sony display is 1080p; yours is 1080i, and the DVDs look great at that resolution, too...

Interesting. Thanks for the info. Which DVDs looked best on your player?
Peter Marlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:36 PM   #66
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
daleb's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 7,657
Default

I find it interesting that most of us recognize a well adjusted picture on a display, and appreciate the improvement Blue-Ray makes (and what HD DVD made), but are quite split on up-conversion.
Whether it's Oppo, Toshiba's XDE, or the later processors used by the major brands in their BD players, there seems to be less agreement on which is better.
__________________
Samsung PN50A650 plasma, Arcam AVR350, Dali Ikon6 (Vokal2&OnWalls), Outlaw Audio LFM-1EX sub, Anti-Mode 8033B, Oppo Digital BDP-83SE, Roku Digital, Furman Elite power conditioner
daleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:49 PM   #67
HDF's Resident Reviewer
 

Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,845
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daleb View Post
I find it interesting that most of us recognize a well adjusted picture on a display, and appreciate the improvement Blue-Ray makes (and what HD DVD made), but are quite split on up-conversion.
Whether it's Oppo, Toshiba's XDE, or the later processors used by the major brands in their BD players, there seems to be less agreement on which is better.
Indeed, because this is the area where the most mistakes can be made with the scaling/upscaling, etc; each deck seems to have its own properties of doing this correctly or incorrectly, and it seems most don't get it right.

The DVD upconversion on my Panny BD10A is so bad it exhibits horrible jagged edges especially through red lettering on my screen and bad pixelation/macroblocking at 1080p...
Peter Marlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:25 PM   #68
Former Super Moderator - RIP
 
PFC5's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Mass
Posts: 38,295
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Marlowe View Post
Indeed, because this is the area where the most mistakes can be made with the scaling/upscaling, etc; each deck seems to have its own properties of doing this correctly or incorrectly, and it seems most don't get it right.

The DVD upconversion on my Panny BD10A is so bad it exhibits horrible jagged edges especially through red lettering on my screen and bad pixelation/macroblocking at 1080p...
Based on that description, I think you have a defective player. The BD10A is said to have better upscaling than the BD30 & BD50, but far inferior to the BD35 7 BD55. Who knows how the newer Panasonic models will play SD DVD.

First gen players/devices ALWAYS cost more than comparable 3rd gen devices so i would not let the lower price fool you. I paid $450.00 for my HD-A1, but the HD-A20 does just as good a job or better with HD DVDs, and also for SD DVDs and I paid 1/5th the price, but I got a deal on them. It was still half price based on MSRP, and that is the nature of the CE industry. Just like computers have dropped so rapidly from when I got my first in 1997.

If I used that criteria for buying CE devices of spending as much or more, I would be getting one of the most expensive computers out there now, instead of 1/10th the price for a much/worlds better computer.

Just go by what pro reviewers have said and what people you trust say and make a decision. I bet you have less than a week to find a decent deal on a BD35 and even at Amazon.com, they are all selling ABOVE the MSRP last I looked. They will be gone very soon. As was stated before, just return it if you do not think it is worth the price, but if you like it, you can move the BD10A to the bedroom even if no HDTV just so you can play the BD movies in there.
__________________
Denon AVR-887
Klipsch RP-5 Pwred Towers (mains) (525 watts peak each 12"Subs)
All Klipsch RC-25(ctr),(2)SS1(surr),(2)SS1(rearSurr)
Toshiba (2)HD-A20,PS3,BD35
For SACD/DVD-A Samsung HD-841
Panny 50pz80u plasma
SETTINGS
RCA HD50LPW162 50"DLP w/HD2+
SA 3250HD
47" LCD+Yamaha5790+HD-A1(bedroom)
Harmony 680 + (2) 670s (amazing remote/support)
Game room with Onkyo receiver & B&W Speakers
The_Cable_Game
Take the high ground and be happier
PSN: PFC5
PFC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:40 AM   #69
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
Chris Gerhard's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 10,918
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daleb View Post
I find it interesting that most of us recognize a well adjusted picture on a display, and appreciate the improvement Blue-Ray makes (and what HD DVD made), but are quite split on up-conversion.
Whether it's Oppo, Toshiba's XDE, or the later processors used by the major brands in their BD players, there seems to be less agreement on which is better.
I agree, there isn't much agreement on the best standard DVD playback and for good reason. I think for the most part, it is a big fuss about not much. Just for the sake of discussion, let's say on a scale of 1-100, Blu-ray is 100 and the best DVD player I have seen, the Oppo DV-983H is 75. My other good players would all fall in the 70-74 range and nobody I watch movies with would care about the tiny incremental improvement and couldn't pick out the slight differences. Of course this is just my silly subjective rating of these players. There probably wouldn't even be agreement that the DV-983H is best if they were forced to pick one. Who is to say they are wrong? There is agreement that the players using Anchor Bay Technologies, Silicon Optix, Mediatek, Faroudja and Marvell processing all make DVD look very good.

The differences between players for Blu-ray performance is even smaller, making the DVD performance variances seem huge in comparison and the DVD player variances aren't worth all of the fuss.

Chris
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:28 AM   #70
ISF Calibrator
 
dsskid's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 5,008
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Marlowe View Post
I'm goin' 95 down Sunrise right now to find out...along the way, I may stop at Bigelows for some fried clams...

Besides, all the traffic lights on Sunrise Hwy makes doing 95 nearly impossible, and would certainly increase your risk of having another severe accident, hurting yourself and possible others. Sounds pretty irresponsible to me.
__________________
Displays are like 100% cotton t-shirts. Always buy a size larger than you think you'll need, because they tend to shrink over time.

Professional reviews of displays are an excellent tool, but the final decision should come from using your own eyes.




Living Room - Panasonic TH58PZ700U, Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Denon AVR-1911
Man-Cave - Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111FD, Pioneer Kuro BDP-320, Denon AVR-591BA, PS3

RIP L2W, PFC5 & Kosty
dsskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:55 AM   #71
HDF S/MOD~Time Traveler
 
ImRizzo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn & Eastern Long Island, NY ....It's not a place, it's an Attitude and a NY State of Mind !!
Posts: 20,533
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Marlowe View Post
I'm goin' 95 down Sunrise right now to find out...along the way, I may stop at Bigelows for some fried clams...
WOW ! Are we to assume that you were texting your postings to this thread yesterday, while speeding at 95 MPH (quite a task on Sunrise Highway at 11 Am on a weekday) a roadway which has traffic lights approximately every 1/8th to 1/4 miles apart. And doing so after experiencing an accident recently, God your good, at what I'm not quite sure of, but certainly a lot of long winded postings. Your friend, Da Rizz.
__________________
Sent from my Fisher Price touch&talk phone~using ITouchmyself II


SonyXBR929-SonyXBR8-Denon 3311CI-Mirage V2 w/S10 Sub-Oppo93-DVP5000-SAHDDVR-Harmony1100 ~ Rizz' HD Toys*link
ImRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:56 AM   #72
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
daleb's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 7,657
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post
I agree, there isn't much agreement on the best standard DVD playback and for good reason. I think for the most part, it is a big fuss about not much. Just for the sake of discussion, let's say on a scale of 1-100, Blu-ray is 100 and the best DVD player I have seen, the Oppo DV-983H is 75. My other good players would all fall in the 70-74 range and nobody I watch movies with would care about the tiny incremental improvement and couldn't pick out the slight differences. Of course this is just my silly subjective rating of these players. There probably wouldn't even be agreement that the DV-983H is best if they were forced to pick one. Who is to say they are wrong? There is agreement that the players using Anchor Bay Technologies, Silicon Optix, Mediatek, Faroudja and Marvell processing all make DVD look very good.

The differences between players for Blu-ray performance is even smaller, making the DVD performance variances seem huge in comparison and the DVD player variances aren't worth all of the fuss.

Chris
Another factor could be that individuals are not necessarily making assessments based on the same DVDs. Obviously, good transfers are still a major concern with SD, much less with BD as time goes on. And players have different adjustments available for SD picture quality. Some more or less than others, some more effective than others.
__________________
Samsung PN50A650 plasma, Arcam AVR350, Dali Ikon6 (Vokal2&OnWalls), Outlaw Audio LFM-1EX sub, Anti-Mode 8033B, Oppo Digital BDP-83SE, Roku Digital, Furman Elite power conditioner
daleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 04:02 PM   #73
HDF's Resident Reviewer
 

Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,845
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsskid View Post

Besides, all the traffic lights on Sunrise Hwy makes doing 95 nearly impossible, and would certainly increase your risk of having another severe accident, hurting yourself and possible others. Sounds pretty irresponsible to me.
Are you KIDDING me? THE ACCIDENT WE WERE IN WAS NOT MY FAULT -- A DRUNK DRIVER HIT US AND PUT US IN THE HOSPITAL. I was driving COMPLETELY responsibly.

I don't drive that fast at all -- I was merely making an analogy here. From Bigelows I will definitely make a small stop at South Nassau Medical Center to visit a bud who's sick, and from there probably hit Lynbrook Diner, across the street from the LIRR station -- you know the one.
Peter Marlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 04:05 PM   #74
HDF's Resident Reviewer
 

Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,845
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImRizzo View Post
WOW ! Are we to assume that you were texting your postings to this thread yesterday, while speeding at 95 MPH (quite a task on Sunrise Highway at 11 Am on a weekday) a roadway which has traffic lights approximately every 1/8th to 1/4 miles apart. And doing so after experiencing an accident recently, God your good, at what I'm not quite sure of, but certainly a lot of long winded postings. Your friend, Da Rizz.
No, you don't have it right -- and I'm plenty good at plenty of things. At least I don't go into an internet discussion site and piss on people I don't even know to make myself feel better; you seem to know me because you have "spoken" to me via threads online? THAT'S how you know I'm not good at much?

There isn't a better example of a human being not knowing what they're talking about than this statement by "MY FRIEND DA RIZZ" and fellow Lawng Islander...

Keep up the good woik.
Peter Marlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 04:08 PM   #75
HDF's Resident Reviewer
 

Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,845
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFC5 View Post
Based on that description, I think you have a defective player. The BD10A is said to have better upscaling than the BD30 & BD50, but far inferior to the BD35 7 BD55. Who knows how the newer Panasonic models will play SD DVD.
I'm not nearly the only BD10A owner -- or reviewer -- who has complained about the same symptoms of this player's DVD playback...it was a chroma error of some kind, a bug that wasn't worked out at the factory...I will supply quotes backing up the claims of this...

Quote:
First gen players/devices ALWAYS cost more than comparable 3rd gen devices so i would not let the lower price fool you. I paid $450.00 for my HD-A1, but the HD-A20 does just as good a job or better with HD DVDs, and also for SD DVDs and I paid 1/5th the price, but I got a deal on them. It was still half price based on MSRP, and that is the nature of the CE industry. Just like computers have dropped so rapidly from when I got my first in 1997.
Well, that's true.

Quote:
As was stated before, just return it if you do not think it is worth the price, but if you like it, you can move the BD10A to the bedroom even if no HDTV just so you can play the BD movies in there.
That's what I plan to do if I like the new player, whatever I get...and add it to a Home Theater In A Box system for the bedroom.
Peter Marlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > High Definition Hardware > Blu-Ray Players
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads to If I Were To Ask Right Now, At This Very Moment, Straight Up...
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone altering their driving habits due to outrageous gas prices? junehhan Car Forum 424 05-04-2013 09:21 PM
What are You Listening to HDM With? kamspy High Definition Media 129 08-31-2008 08:40 PM
The Beginner's Guide to HDTV mswoods1 The High Definition Lounge 19 04-28-2008 02:03 PM
Terrible Customer Service at DirecTV Ct HD Boy DirecTV Forum 68 09-19-2007 12:01 PM
At a crossroads ... my heart wants a Pioneer 5070, but a dealer points me towards Eggsaronius Flat-Panel TVs 63 02-17-2007 10:47 PM
Which Projector do I need? mikehende Projectors 10 07-14-2005 07:38 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:36 PM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2004 - 2008, High Def Forum