High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > High Definition Hardware > Blu-Ray Players
Rules HDTV Forum Gallery LINK TO US! RSS - High Def Forum AddThis Feed Button AddThis Social Bookmark Button Groups

Blu-Ray Players Blu-Ray Players RSS - Blu-Ray Players

normal blu ray vs. ps3 blu ray

Reply
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2009, 07:17 AM   #16
Two Words, No Refunds.
 
marcallo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,623
Default

Just a NOTE I don't believe ANY of the new PS3's play old PS2 games anymore. Just want to make that clear. Also in my opinion the 360 is great for gaming and Netflix, and then an SAL player for movies. Simple.
marcallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:26 AM   #17
technology whore
 
greatmazinga's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 83
Default

Additional features of the PS3 that are not being mentioned:

-Movies and music can be loaded to the hard drive
-Hard drive is easily upgraded with any 2.5" drive
-Internet access (stream audio/video from the web)
-Free down loadable game demos (usually 1 level)
-Continuous firmware upgrades (new features)
-Even if you are not a gamer Singstar and Rockband 2 are fun
-Faster than current BluRay standalones
-Bluetooth remote is very cool

Simply - the added functionality is well worth $150 price difference.
greatmazinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:42 AM   #18
HD Ears and Eyes
 

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 32
Default

Does the PS3 have 7.1 analog output?

.
__________________
AT WORK:
ATC 300ASL L-C-R
6 Bryston 4B SST2 Pro.
2 Genelec 7073A subwoofer2, 8 QSC SR 110-B Surrounds
Neve VRP Legend 96-channel console

AT HOME:Yamaha RX-Z1, Polk SDA 2 Mains, HSU Research VTF-3 MK3, JBL 4412 surrounds
Mash3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:45 AM   #19
Former Super Moderator - RIP
 
PFC5's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Mass
Posts: 38,295
Default

No. The PS3 only has 2-channel STEREO analog output which is useless for movies. For HD audio with the PS3 you need and HDMI version receiver that handles audio via the HDMI input. There are some low end HDMi receivers that only handle the video but they are usually labeled as HDMI Pass-Through" inputs, so avoid these such models.
__________________
Denon AVR-887
Klipsch RP-5 Pwred Towers (mains) (525 watts peak each 12"Subs)
All Klipsch RC-25(ctr),(2)SS1(surr),(2)SS1(rearSurr)
Toshiba (2)HD-A20,PS3,BD35
For SACD/DVD-A Samsung HD-841
Panny 50pz80u plasma
SETTINGS
RCA HD50LPW162 50"DLP w/HD2+
SA 3250HD
47" LCD+Yamaha5790+HD-A1(bedroom)
Harmony 680 + (2) 670s (amazing remote/support)
Game room with Onkyo receiver & B&W Speakers
The_Cable_Game
Take the high ground and be happier
PSN: PFC5
PFC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:04 PM   #20
My plasma is High Def.
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrism87 View Post
Having access to things like Netflix, Hulu, an internet browser, games and other content available on the PS3 made it much more appealing to me than a SAL Blu-Ray player, so that's what I bought and love it.

Then there's someone like my dad. I initially planned to get him a PS3 for Christmas. I figured he and my sister would both love to play Tiger Woods Golf, but I ended not being able to get one on sale.

No one else in my family would ever use the PS3's functionality beyond playing BD movies and the occasional game(this would be pretty rare), so he got a Panasonic BD-35.

It all depends on your needs and what you'd like tog et out fo your investment.
Those are all good reasons, but it should be noted that the PS3 does NOT have access to Netflix streaming. It has it's own movie and tv show marketplace, but it's the Xbox 360 that has access to Netflix watch instantly, not the PS3.
Rwiggum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:52 PM   #21
Official HDF BD Reviewer
 
HD Goofnut's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mississippi, U.S.A. Your resident Dune, Star Wars, and war film expert
Posts: 9,620
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwiggum View Post
Those are all good reasons, but it should be noted that the PS3 does NOT have access to Netflix streaming. It has it's own movie and tv show marketplace, but it's the Xbox 360 that has access to Netflix watch instantly, not the PS3.
That is incorrect. You can utilize Instant SD Netflix Streaming if you download PlayOn to your PS3.
__________________
HD Goofnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:16 AM   #22
HD also = Harley Davidson
 
williamadamses's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 82
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFC5 View Post
No. The PS3 only has 2-channel STEREO analog output which is useless for movies. For HD audio with the PS3 you need and HDMI version receiver that handles audio via the HDMI input. There are some low end HDMi receivers that only handle the video but they are usually labeled as HDMI Pass-Through" inputs, so avoid these such models.
The PS3 also supports HDMI AND TOSLINK at the same time out of the box. To use both HDMI and Toslink over a 360, you have to buy another $50 adapter. I love my 360, but my PS3 beats hell out of it as a media center / movie player.
__________________

Samsung LNT-4061f
Directv HR-21-700
Playstation 3 40 gig
Onkyo HT-S5100
Samsung DVD-F1080

Panasonic CT 30-WX54
Directv H-20-100
Sony SLV-D300P
Playstation 2 Silver
williamadamses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 02:52 AM   #23
Former Super Moderator - RIP
 
PFC5's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Mass
Posts: 38,295
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamadamses View Post
The PS3 also supports HDMI AND TOSLINK at the same time out of the box. To use both HDMI and Toslink over a 360, you have to buy another $50 adapter. I love my 360, but my PS3 beats hell out of it as a media center / movie player.
I know it has those features as I have owned a original 60GB one since 2006.

I was responding to the person looking for an answer to whether it had 5.1/7.1 analog outputs which i assume they wanted to know so they could get HD audio without upgrading their receiver to a HDMI receiver.

Thanks for expounding on my reply so those who don't know much about the PS3 have more info though.
__________________
Denon AVR-887
Klipsch RP-5 Pwred Towers (mains) (525 watts peak each 12"Subs)
All Klipsch RC-25(ctr),(2)SS1(surr),(2)SS1(rearSurr)
Toshiba (2)HD-A20,PS3,BD35
For SACD/DVD-A Samsung HD-841
Panny 50pz80u plasma
SETTINGS
RCA HD50LPW162 50"DLP w/HD2+
SA 3250HD
47" LCD+Yamaha5790+HD-A1(bedroom)
Harmony 680 + (2) 670s (amazing remote/support)
Game room with Onkyo receiver & B&W Speakers
The_Cable_Game
Take the high ground and be happier
PSN: PFC5
PFC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 02:57 AM   #24
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
dave33ca's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 327
Default

the ps3 does what it does best play games, it is a compitent blu-ray player but far from the best. It depends on what you are willing to spend and how much quality you need. The denon blu-ray players blow it out of the water, but they cost twice and three times what the ps3 does. So really its just what you are willing to spend to achieve the results you desire.
dave33ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 02:00 PM   #25
Third Lake, IL
 
DaveGu's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 85
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave33ca View Post
the ps3 does what it does best play games, it is a compitent blu-ray player but far from the best. It depends on what you are willing to spend and how much quality you need. The denon blu-ray players blow it out of the water, but they cost twice and three times what the ps3 does. So really its just what you are willing to spend to achieve the results you desire.
I have nothing to compare it (PS3) to, but for example, how does the Denon blow the PS3 out of the water? I suspect that all blu-ray players, once they actually play a disk, are basically similar.
DaveGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:55 AM   #26
Obsessed with Hi-Def.
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Brooklyn. NY
Age: 33
Posts: 784
Default

The PS3 can not play NetFlix, PlayOn does not count, which by the way a 360 and all DLNA TV's are compatable with, so you do not need a PS3 for PlayOn, plus you need to spend $30.00 more and streaming to a computer is necessary that isn't really Netflix capable if you ask me that's using the powers of a seperate computer to be able to use a media stream feature, these SAL players including the 360 have a NetFlix app. that works quick, easy, and perfectly all the time. The SAL player models that have NetFlix are the Samsung BDP-2500/2550 and the LG BD300, so it really depends on what you want from a player, but take it from someone who owns both a SAL and a PS3. If all you are looking for is a reliable, and future proof blu-ray player the PS3 is still the best there is(even though NetFlix is not available) just knowing it will never be incompatable with anything, and new features and profiles can always be added based on the computing power of the PS3, and lastly everything loads super fast makes me feel better, although everything I have put in my 2500 has worked so I haven't had any compatability issues with that player either...and to the poster with the Denon comment the Denon 3800BDCI is only profile 1.1, so it already is out dated and lacks for what they charge and many reviews have said that many of the cheaper players including the PS3 are still better players and this includes features like DVD upconversion, The only thing the Denon posseses is bragging rights to show off how much money one can waste on something that isn't that great.
__________________
Panasonic TCP65VT60, TCP55GT50, Onkyo TX-NR709, Denon AVR-1913

Last edited by Semp1; 01-11-2009 at 12:36 PM.
Semp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:33 PM   #27
Official HDF BD Reviewer
 
HD Goofnut's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mississippi, U.S.A. Your resident Dune, Star Wars, and war film expert
Posts: 9,620
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semp1 View Post
The PS3 can not play NetFlix, PlayOn does not count, which by the way a 360 and all DLNA TV's are compatable with, so you do not need a PS3 for PlayOn, plus you need to spend $30.00 more and streaming to a computer is necessary that isn't really Netflix capable if you ask me that's using the powers of a seperate computer to be able to use a media stream feature, these SAL players including the 360 have a NetFlix app. that works quick, easy, and perfectly all the time. The SAL player models that have NetFlix are the Samsung BDP-2500/2550 and the LG BD300, so it really depends on what you want from a player, but take it from someone who owns both a SAL and a PS3. If all you are looking for is a reliable, and future proof blu-ray player the PS3 is still the best there is(even though NetFlix is not available) just knowing it will never be incompatable with anything, and new features and profiles can always be added based on the computing power of the PS3, and lastly everything loads super fast makes me feel better, although everything I have put in my 2500 has worked so I haven't had any compatability issues with that player either...and to the poster with the Denon comment the Denon 3800BDCI is only profile 1.1, so it already is out dated and lacks for what they charge and many reviews have said that many of the cheaper players including the PS3 are still better players and this includes features like DVD upconversion, The only thing the Denon posseses is bragging rights to show off how much money one can waste on something that isn't that great.
If someone has a PS3 already then paying $30 for PlayOn is a lot better than paying $300 for one of the Netflix streaming BD players.
__________________
HD Goofnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:46 AM   #28
Obsessed with Hi-Def.
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Brooklyn. NY
Age: 33
Posts: 784
Default

That's assuming there computer can handle the PlayOn streaming software
__________________
Panasonic TCP65VT60, TCP55GT50, Onkyo TX-NR709, Denon AVR-1913
Semp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:20 PM   #29
High Definition is the definition of life.
 
fwtechwiz's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2008
Age: 56
Posts: 100
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bblord View Post
I'm not sure, but does the PS3 BR upconvert DVDs? If not, and you will primarily watch movies, then you might want a SAL that can upconvert DVDs.

I'm more of a gamer myself, and I enjoy the PS3 for its games. Its also nice that its backwards compatible w/ my PS2 games =D
I have had a PS3 for about a year also, and couldn't be happier. I'm not a gamer, but I chose it over a stand alone player because of the ease of firmware update and upconversion of standard DVDs. Also my roommate went wild on Guitar Hero, so we're both happy.
fwtechwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:41 AM   #30
$hitter was full
 
cousin eddie's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmazinga View Post
Additional features of the PS3 that are not being mentioned:

-Movies and music can be loaded to the hard drive
-Hard drive is easily upgraded with any 2.5" drive
-Internet access (stream audio/video from the web)
-Free down loadable game demos (usually 1 level)
-Continuous firmware upgrades (new features)
-Even if you are not a gamer Singstar and Rockband 2 are fun
-Faster than current BluRay standalones
-Bluetooth remote is very cool

Simply - the added functionality is well worth $150 price difference.
Having to use a separate remote (bluetooth) is considered an added feature?
__________________
Sharp LC-52D64U
VP322HDTV10A
Vizio 32" Plasma
Toshiba HD-A2
Samsung BD-P1200
Sony BDPS350
Yamaha HTR - 5930SL
Boston Accoustics F & R Surrounds
Technics Center
Yamaha Sub
cousin eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Go Back   High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource > High Definition Hardware > Blu-Ray Players
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads to normal blu ray vs. ps3 blu ray
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HDMI audio vs Optical Audio dustyjnz Speakers & Surround Sound 16 11-04-2012 08:00 AM
Blu Ray Vs HD-DVD Debate Knight76 Blu-Ray Players 853 12-21-2011 06:29 PM
120hz vs. 600 hz shagdrum Flat-Panel TVs 22 09-02-2009 09:00 PM
The rumors of Blu-ray's death are greatly exaggerated Bravestime High Definition Media 194 11-10-2008 07:47 PM
Blu-ray player prices dropped 12% in Q3, still in just 1.7% of US homes Lee Stewart High Definition Media 152 10-22-2008 06:20 PM
Can Blu Ray succeed where DVD-A and SACD failed? ssjLancer High Definition Media 6 07-31-2008 03:41 AM
Specs vs reality. Lossless vs lossy Stew4HD High Definition Media 12 10-27-2007 08:14 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:10 AM.



Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2004 - 2008, High Def Forum