View Single Post
Old 11-25-2008, 09:00 AM   #34
Nikopol

Just re-read that post and i was mistaken. He said:

Quote:
Like I said, I only have superficial knowledge of The Dark Knight’s post production based upon one seminar from last summer and my recollection isn’t that great to begin with as it was only about 105 - 110 degrees outside that day on the Uni backlot and I spent much of the time listening while hydrating myself with bottled water because I had been sweating like a pig prior to going inside the building.

I know nothing of the Blu-ray encoding/authoring of the title; however, sharpening was definitely applied during the process for the production of the IMAX theatrical presentation, and if they used that material as a source to strike that HD master, rather than doing a totally new scan on the final 35mm element, then the sharpening is baked into the process and people sensitive to the appearance just have to live with it.

People have to get into their heads that 99% of the time, filmmakers make films for the BIG screen (as in commercial theater), not for enthusiasts’ home theaters. When something like a little sharpening is applied during the post production, the filmmakers do it because they realize that the vast, vast majority of theater goers will not notice its detrimental effects, and will not be QCing their work by staring at the outlines of people and structures hunting for halos while watching the darn movie. A little sharpening may not technically give increased resolution to the motion picture but, its appearance certainly gives that perception to 99.9 % of movie watchers, which is one reason why it was added to Journey to the Center of the Earth, as I commented on the last page.

The same situation applies to adding grain in post. It doesn’t per se result in increased resolution to the motion picture but, its appearance likewise gives that perception to the vast majority of movie watchers as evidenced by experiments with stocastic resonance which demonstrate by in large that optimal human satisfaction with visual imagery occurs when the grain/noise level is intermediate. By that I mean, too little grain/noise and the signal doesn't reach the neural (as in brain) threshold, too much and the signal will be swamped by noise. The noise-benefit relationship is therefore shaped like an inverted U.
BD.com thread #331555 post #6197

He was talking about preparing the 35mm parts for the IMAX presentation, where according to him sharpening was applied to the 35mm material. I only remembered the IMAX part....

This would make sense and could explain the "halos", if his assumption is correct.