View Single Post
Old 05-21-2010, 02:24 PM   #840
PFC5
Former Super Moderator - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post
OK. But, not relevant to anything I am saying.

Sorry, but that seems like a revisionist version of history. BD prices remained unacceptably high until the format war ended. Then they began coming down as more companies entered the player market. I remember waiting on the sidelines because I was unwilling to pay $500+ for Blu-ray. I got a BD55 for less than $300 eight months after HD DVD folded.
What are you talking about? BD player prices wnet UP right after the war ended. Need proof? Here is a link about player prices in 12/2007 1 month before Warner made the decision:

http://www.techconsumer.com/2007/12/...10-movies-219/

Quote:
ďSamsung is hoping to tilt the scales in favor of Blu-ray; as of right now, Samsungís BD-P1400 Blu-ray player is selling for $279 on Amazon, down from a $499 MSRP. Thatís not so much a discount as it is a steal, and it drops the BD-P1400 squarely within the price range for an HD DVD box.Ē
Quote:
And as icing on the cake, here is the current buy one get one free promotion at Amazon for HD DVD movies. Many of the movies are already discounted heavily (starting at around $20). So that means you can effectively get dozens of HD DVDs for $10 a piece. Of course, as always, all these deals (including the Blu-ray one) are subject to change. But itís interesting, nonetheless, to gauge where each technology stands in terms of best deals on Amazon.
In short, comparing HD DVD to Blu-ray via Amazonís current best deals for each has HD DVD players coming in $40-$60 cheaper. And they come with twice the movies plus have other movies available for as little as $10. Which would you buy?
So you see, BD player prices were much lower than you thought when the war was going on and movies were much cheaper while the war was going on compared to a few months AFTER the war ended.

Here is a link showing prices AFTER the war ended for BD players:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/blu...dles,5010.html

Quote:
Now, however, according to Pricegrabber.com's most recent information, the average price for Blu-ray hardware is around $400, which is right around where it was last year. The players from Samsung, Sony, Sharp and Panasonic included here are the least expensive on the market and also the most widely available. LG's BH200 is a dual format player with support for Blu-ray and HD DVD.
Within just the last two weeks, te average prices for LG's BH200 player and Sharp's BD-HP20U have climbed significantly. Every standlone Blu-ray-specific player in the chart above is now more expensive than it was at the beginning of the year.

SO prices climbed for BD players by as much as 30+% in the 2 months AFTER Warner made the decision.

Quote:
Again, this is not relevant to my point. The reason that BD won is of no consequence to the issue of whether the competition in the format war was beneficial.
Yes it is absolutely relevant since you said above prices dropped because it was over when clearly they rose a lot after the ware ended and implied it in the earlier post.

Quote:
I believe that actually supports my position - that the format war was bad for HD disc development. Consumers shy away when they are burned by bad equipment.

But very few companies got involved in BD player development until the format war ended. If they had all jumped in earlier, we'd likely have seen better, cheaper players sooner. But, they sat out waiting for one format to emerge. Investment in the losing technology was too big a risk.

Precisely my point. They'd have gotten involved earlier if there hadn't been a format war.

Agreed. Again, it doesn't matter which side won. The problem was the war itself.

Yes, quite true. As noted above, I think the decision to rush junk to market is another example of why the format war was bad rather than good.

You're saying Sony would have charged more for the PS3 than it did if HD DVD weren't around? Or that Sony wouldn't have included BD with the PS3? That seems like quite a stretch. The real PS3 battle has always been with Xbox and Nintendo. The HD DVD war was just a minor skirmish by comparison.

I agree that competition is a good thing. But, history tells us the market thrives when there's one type of tape/disc media that consumers and manufacturers can embrace. You acknowledged that yourself. A single format unleashes the kind of competition that produces consumer benefits. Format wars work against that kind of competition.
It is pointless to restart the format war war arguments all over again, but clearly I have links to back up what I said was going on during the war and what happened right after the war. Many BD supporters said that wouldn't happen if the war ended but it did. We actually had a couple of very strong BD supporters buying into HD DVD after the war ended and they saw what was happening with all the BD movie deals drying up once Warner made their decision and said that they wished HD DVD had won in retrospect after seeing what was happening.

If you want to remember what happened during the war and immediately after differently than how I remember it and backed up with links then that is fine, but there are the links.

In the end, Sony was smart for making the PS3 almost half the price of any standalone BD player and so well made and THAT won them the war. Whether they make any profit in the end because of this though is still undecided, but I believe they will eventually if they keep it the console they sell for 10 years. I do not think they will ever make anywhere near what they projected to make for profit originally though.

I am fine with BD being the format for HD now and always owned both formats but history is what it is.
Toshiba (2)HD-A20,PS3,BD35
For SACD/DVD-A Samsung HD-841
Panny 50pz80u plasma
SETTINGS
RCA HD50LPW162 50"DLP w/HD2+
SA 3250HD
47" LCD+Yamaha5790+HD-A1(bedroom)
Harmony 680 + (2) 670s (amazing remote/support)
Game room with Onkyo receiver & B&W Speakers
The_Cable_Game
Take the high ground and be happier
PSN: PFC5
PFC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links